Friday, January 11, 2013

Homemade Condensed Milk & Macaroons

I am a magazine junkie.  At any given time I have 3-4 laying around the house for me to read.  One of my favourites is Chatelaine and it was this magazine that I was reading the other night when I came across a recipe for homemade condensed milk.

Say what???  You can make that stuff at home? I was sold.  There's only a handful of ingredients which is a plus for me (I tend to disregard recipes with a long ingredient list) so out came the magic bullet and I got right to it!  This is the skim milk powder I used:
Carnation Instant Skim Milk Powder.  By the way; I *really* wish I could figure out how to rotate photo's in Blogger!!  D'oh!  After literally 5 minutes of getting the goods into the Bullet and 2 minutes of whirling, I had myself a nice cup of rich, sweet, creamy condensed milk!
SUCCESS!!!  But now what to do with it,right?  Never fear, Chatelaine attached some handy little recipes, too!  (These are at the bottom of the recipe in the link above).  I love me some coconut so I picked the macaroons:
So incredibly easy; 1 cup of unsweetened coconut and 1/2 a cup of the sweetened condensed milk.  Stir together, scoop out 2 TBSP, roll into balls and bake 10-12 minutes in a 350*C oven.

These were a big hit.  Fluffy clouds of coconutty goodness.  I never realized how easy it was to make macaroons!  LOL  One of the other ideas for the condensed milk was to mix it with equal amounts of water and freeze it in ice cube trays and use it in iced coffee.  That would be a good summer time treat!

Is condensed milk something you use?  If so, what do you make with it??

Bye for now!!

4 comments:

  1. so cool! I've used it in a bar recipe before. the macaroons look amazing. I love coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ice cream rolls We Serve Toronto best Thai rolled ice cream, best Waffles, Desserts, Cheesecakes & Milkshakes Tastiest most deliciously creamy & authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. America Gun Ban Home, Syndicated by Countrymen Your News Source Worldwide. Taking the stink out of Gun Control and being a Patriot.  healthymilk

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!