Sunday, October 30, 2011

Four Meals In, One Out

Hi everybody!  How did your week go?  I see that some of you have snow already!  YUCK!  I sure feel for you.  I haven’t seen any white flakes yet, but I’m sure it won’t be long now.  Did anyone attend a Halloween party this weekend?  My kids are excited for the “big” day tomorrow.  I’ll be spending part of this evening getting their costumes ready for school tomorrow.  Noah’s class is having a little party and Sarah (being in grade 7) will be going to an afternoon dance at the school. 
I wanted to make sure I popped by to post last week’s meals.  Can I just day that I’m SO glad I got back into planning dinner for the week?  It’s one less thing to worry about each night when I get home.  Two thumbs up, for sure!  So Monday was soup & grilled cheese night.  I made the broth in my crock pot using the chicken bones that I have from our beer butt/roasted chickens so all I had to do when I came home from work was strain it into a pot, add a can of diced tomatoes (with the juice) and chicken from the bones.  Instead of grilled cheese I toasted a slice of rice bread for dipping.IMG_6536
On Tuesday I had the time to roast a chicken which is a rarity through the week at this house!  I also made peas and quinoa to go with it:IMG_6538 Can I just say that it’s getting dark so much sooner lately?  Good thing next Saturday we change the clocks!  On Wednesday I grilled turkey sausage with bell peppers and onions.  I also sautéed mushrooms, garlic and Mache as another side.  Quinoa made another appearance on my plate while the fam ate mac n cheese with theirs.IMG_6540 Thursday was another busy night so I dug into the freezer for some pulled pork that I had made in the crock pot previously and froze without sauce.  I just warmed it in a pan with a bit of broth and hickory flavoured BBQ sauce.  It was delicious served over a toasted rice bun smeared with avocado hummus:IMG_6541 We went out with friends for dinner on Friday, but no pictures.  It was a real informal meal of burgers and salad.  Perfect for the end of a busy week!  Some of the leftovers were eaten as is within the next few days while some were transformed a bit.  I used some of the roasted chicken to make an awesome sandwich with vegetable antipasto, Mache and cassata cheese….IMG_6539 Some of the (sauce less)  pulled pork went back into a sandwich with roasted red pepper, basil pesto and mozzarella cheese:IMG_6532 Delicious!!  On Saturday we went to Subway for lunch.  It’s the first time I’ve been since going (mostly) gluten free.  I went with a turkey sub in salad form which ended up being fabulous!IMG_6544
And lastly, tonight’s dinner.  I baked salmon fillets and served them with brown rice and mixed veggies:IMG_6545
A lovely Sunday dinner, even though it’s not pot roast!  HAHA!  Check out next weeks plan over on my facebook page……
Have a great week, everyone….
Bye for now!!

10 comments:

  1. Yup-- we do change the clocks next week, but we are going back an hour, so it gets dark an hour earlier, not later!!

    Is it different in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meal planning is awesome! So helps me on time! I need to whip my crockpot out again! Grilled cheese and soup- meant to be together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I bet they're so excited for Halloween!! I'd get excited MONTHS beforehand for that mountain of candy that was sure to come. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow all of this looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, we got a little bit of snow on Friday...it didn't stick but I still can't believe the snow is flying already, lol!

    The food all looks delish, Krista! Happy (almost) Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great meals! Meal planning definitely makes life a lot easier! It can just sometimes be a bit difficult to get motivated... :)

    Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Sarah and Noah have a wonderful Halloween!! Can't wait to see pics of their costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving all the quinoa! I need to get one using more of it instead of brown/white rice!

    and I wish i could meal plan...maybe if my schedule were more permanent I could!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Avocado hummus?! Did you buy this somewhere, or make it yourself? I would love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!