Thursday, September 8, 2011

It’s About to Get Crazy!

The temps around here have become much cooler and the skies dreary since September arrived.  I’m just not a fan.  Summer with all its heat and sun is definitely more my style.  September also brought this with it:IMG_1796 Yes, hockey season is upon us again.  Noah was so pumped to be back on the ice.  His enthusiasm for the game makes sitting in cold rinks doable.  His soccer season will officially wrap up on September 17, although they will still practice indoors each Sunday from October to January.  Sarah’s dance classes start back up tonight, as well.  She’ll be dancing the winter away doing hip hop, jazz and modern…..so 2 nights a week.  What does all this mean?  That things will be getting crazy around here again very soon!  In anticipation I spent the long weekend mostly in the kitchen preparing freezer friendly meal starters.  The crockpot was put to use making homemade chicken stock (from bones I save throughout the summer from our many beer butt chickens) and pulled pork (frozen minus the sauce).  I also made a BIG pot of homemade marinara sauce and some roasted peppers.  The peppers are a cinch for me because I have a gas stove so I just use the stainless steel BBQ tongs and hold the peppers over the flame until they char.IMG_6371 IMG_6370   Then I place them in a bowl and cover with a lid for about 5 mins. IMG_6372 The skin peels off like a dream using this method!!  IMG_6373
I either freeze them as is or with some chopped garlic and olive oil.  YUM!  I also tried a new (gluten free) granola recipe that’s just awesome!IMG_6361 This one is bursting with chocolate peanut buttery goodness! IMG_6359
I particularly like it sprinkled over vanilla ice cream or mixed with Greek yogurt  :)IMG_6388
Last night Noah’s hockey team got together to do a biathlon which they raised money for to put towards the team’s budget.  The boys had to run 1km (2.5 times around the track) and bike for 2km (5 times around).  Here are a few pictures I took…IMG_6385 IMG_6387 IMG_6379 IMG_6384
I wanted to run with him but was told a very firm “NO!!”  HAHA!  I’ve been doing OK with this gluten free business that I’m trying out.  I learned pretty fast to make sure I have snacks packed if we’re going to be out for a bit or things can get tricky.  I’m sure there’s still some gluten sneaking into what I eat, but the main culprits have definitely been eliminated.  And I’m quite certain that the gluten police won’t be showing up any time soon.  Overall I have been feeling better; my tummy is upset less often and the bloating has almost disappeared.   It’s only been a month or so but these little changes are enough to keep me going.  Here are a few examples of meals I’ve been enjoying:IMG_6276 Buckwheat bread with almond butter and blueberry jam.IMG_6290 The Canadian Maple Forest is my favourite flavour yet!IMG_6293 Brown rice spiral pasta.IMG_6320 Pork chop, basmati rice with homemade marinara sauce.IMG_6355 Grilled salmon with zucchini and tomatoes.IMG_6389 Kettle corn is one of my favourite snacks!  Truth be told, I’m not much for “regular” popcorn, but kettle corn is a whole different story!  :)
So. I’m sure you’ve noticed that my blog looks different.  Yeah….that was an accident and I’m not too happy with it!  :(  I was fiddling around with templates and and for some reason hit the “apply to blog” button.  I’m definitely not techy enough to figure out how to get my old look back, though.  BOO!  C’est la vie, I suppose!
Have you ever changed something with the look of your blog that you weren’t happy with??
Bye for now!!

10 comments:

  1. Phewww !! Your kiddos sure keep you busy!! Obviously i love the crockpot too-lifesaver. The granola looks tasty! I am so not tech savvy, ive totally messed up my layout before

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that the GF stuff continues to work for you!

    Sorry about the blog issues :( I used to have major issues trying to fit my header at the top of the page.

    Your kids are rock stars with activities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bike ride looks fun!! Kind of like an ultra mini triathlon without the water. :)

    My parents are dipping their toes into gluten free. Not really sure how well it's going, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your new GF diet is working for you! Feeling good after you eat is what it's all about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you'll have a very busy fall! Glad you got some cooking done! I'm determined to prep and cook a lot more on the weekends so that our evenings are less busy. The toddler is really getting into sports, and evenings are getting more hectic. I know it's nowhere near what it'll be in a few years, but I can feel the difference...

    Glad the gluten free diet seems to be working for you. All your eats look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you posting again! Sounds like you guys will be crazy busy for the next several months! I came across a bar that I noticed was gluten free and thought I'd tell you about it...you have probably already tried it, it's called The Simply Bar. I got it at Fortinos, so I'm guessing a couple of other Canadian stores may carry it. They have a handful of flavours too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous of Noah's time on the ice. I miss it so, but going back just isn't an option right now.

    Totally going to check out that pb & chocolate granola, because hello! PB & Chocolate? Sounds amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wooo! You'll going to be a busy mama again!!! I will be very busy too (update coming soon in my blog) and I will borrow your idea of cooking and freezing!
    Is the gluten free diet helped you with the IBS? I know you've blogged about it but not sure I can find the link about that study/analysis that you did. Can u send the link to me again? Thanks Krista! I'd love to try it out to see if it helps with my tummy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh! No idea what to tell you with regards to the blog format - I am clueless.
    I'm glad the diet is helping. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. whew! you balance all of their schedules SO so well.

    it definitely makes me very appreciative of my mom and all of the moms out there for all of the hard work they put into giving their kids an amazing childhood.

    you are the best!

    very yummy idea to make your own marinara too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!