Smoked Turkey, Lentil and Kale Soup
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cup stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cup green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 1 packed cup of chopped kale
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and add all chopped veggies. Cook until soft 5-8 minutes
- Add garlic, bay leaves, salt & pepper. Cook 1 minute more
- Add smoked turkey leg, stock and water. Bring to a boil
- Add lentils, bring back to boil then turn temp down to a simmer
- Partially cover and let simmer for 1.5 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- With approx 45 minutes of cooking time left add chopped kale
- Remove turkey leg and set aside too cool slightly. Puree soup with an immersion blender. **If you like your soup a bit thinner, add water accordingly. I added an extra 2 cups**
- Keep soup on low heat while you remove and chopped all the meat from the bone. Add turkey back to the pot and cook just a few more minutes to heat
- Serve and enjoy! I’ve been eating this all week like it’s my job. And boy have I ever been loving this job! Haha! Surprisingly, DS also loved this soup. I think it was the smoked turkey that really reigned in his taste buds. I went home for lunch on Tuesday and while there decided to throw some wild rice in the crock pot to see how it would cook versus the stove top. I had approx 1.5 cups of rice to which I added 5 cups of water. It cooked on low for 3.5-ish hours. Here are the results: It turned out fabulous! There was some water still at the bottom so I had to strain it, but the rice itself didn’t get mushy at all. I now have four 1 cup servings hanging out in the freezer and have been eating the rest over the course of a few days. YUM! Do you like wild rice??
So we’re a little more than halfway through November and I think it’s about high time I showed you what my hubby’s Movember stash is looking like! I think it’s coming along awesome! DD absolutely HATES it. She can’t wait until he shaves it off. LOL This is what he looked like on November 1:
If you’ve been following along you’ll remember that he’s growing said stash to help raise money to fight prostate cancer. You can click on the link ^above^ if you’d like to donate!
FOOD! The above is wild rice, kale and dried cranberries.
This was a great meal! Buffalo chicken shake & bake, sautéed kale and wild rice.
Would it surprise you that I ate this bag in 5 days? Probably not! Hehe!
Wanna see something cute? Here are my niblets in their school photos from last year: And here they are in their photos from this year! Isn’t it amazing how much change can happen in a year? I see it loud and clear in my daughter. And yes, she is only 11. DS is 8. YIKES!
Bye for now!!