Monday, March 22, 2010

A Brand New Week

So here I am again cramming to 2 days into 1! Honestly, yesterday was not very eventful at all (for the most part) so it won’t take long to get through it! First off, looks like I snacked on some pineapple & strawberries Saturday night after posting: IMG_0916
Bright flash!!! HA! Saturday into Sunday I woke up with the strangest feeling in my mid section. I didn’t feel sick or anything, but it felt like I got hoofed in the stomach. It was the strangest, most uncomfortable thing. Reminiscent of having the wind knocked outta ya. I just kinda curled into a ball and after about a half hour went back to sleep. When I woke up, the feeling was gone, but an ache had replaced it. So. Weird.

I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to eat for breakfast, but my kids had that all sorted out for me. They decided a late birthday breakfast was in order and prepared this for me: IMG_0917
DD made the yogurt parfait with vanilla yogurt, blueberries, raspberries and granola and DS prepared a bowl of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries along with a pomegranate green tea. Love those 2!! The message on my tea bag was even appropriate! IMG_0919

My hubby woke up with a migraine (quite the pair, aren’t we?) so we skipped our Sunday trip to the farm so that he could rest as we had box seat tickets to go watch our city’s hockey team in a play off game. Although I waited until the very last minute to shower and get ready, I still wasn’t really hungry for lunch. I had to eat something, though because there’s nothing but greasy food at the rink. What to do? Make a bowl of oatmeal, of course! IMG_0920
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Quaker oats
-cinnamon
-apple cinnamon honey
-almond butter
-kefir
This made my tummy happy. The game was great even though our team lost 4-3. There was such a fantastic ambiance oozing from the crowd. It was easy to get caught up in it all. Lots of fights, too which always eggs things on. HA! It’s humorous to watch DS while he’s engrossed in a game. His favourite player took a cheap shot to the head and I swear DS wanted to hop on the ice and take the offending player out. Boys….

We came home in time for me to get dinner started at a decent hour and seeing as we had pork leftover from the kabob I bought at the market Thursday, I opted for a stir fry. I made a simple teriyaki sauce using 1 cup water, ¼ cup Bragg’s soy sauce, ¼ cup OJ, 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger, 3 minced garlic cloves and 3 tbsp brown sugar. Once that was boiling I stirred in a slurry of 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed into a ¼ cup of water. Brought it back to a boil while stirring, and then took it off the heat once thick. In the meantime, I had 2 onions and 3 red peppers chopped and cooking in a big frying pan. To that I added the meat, then stirred to sauce in and let it cook another 5 minutes or so. The stir-fry was served with brown rice. IMG_0923
Tasty stuff. Even DS, who is really picky, loved the saucy meat. Then I ate some of these: IMG_0921
The rest of Sunday night was spent watching TV. L-a-z-y bones supreme and I loved every second of it!

Today was back to reality…and my desk. Booyakers. All things aside, the day went off pretty smooth. It all started out with my oats, of course. Actually, that’s not true. I had spelt flakes today. Hehe. IMG_0926
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup spelt flakes
-cinnamon
-raisins
-granola
-kefir IMG_0925
Mmmm…chewy flakes!

My appetite was really off today. As in, mostly not there. Not a usual occurrence for me. So, no morning snack. No gym either as it was yoga day and this week my lunch falls at 12:30pm which gives me no time before the class has their “quiet time”. I trundled home instead and made myself a sandwich that I have been craving for the past few days….a BLT. I made mine with chicken bacon, romaine, tomato and Miracle Whip on toasted 12 grain bread. IMG_0929
What a thing of beauty! I cooked the bacon on the GF grill and was pleased that the drip tray remained clean. When my hubby makes his regular bacon in there the tray is always full of gunk. Yuck. A few of these made their way to my belly as well. IMG_0930 I’m really digging both kinds of chocolate! Later in the afternoon I snacked on some strawberries and strawberry stained pineapple. IMG_0931
I ate this more as to not waste it. I chopped the fruit up on Saturday and this was on it’s last legs so down the hatch it went!

Dinner was an idea I read over at Eat Clean Live Green. She did up a roasted chicken in the crock pot. I’ve never considered that you could “roast” anything in a crock pot and was willing to test it out. IMG_0932
Lo and behold….it worked! Look at that golden beauty! And moist? Oh, boy. This guy was in the crock from 8-4:30 and was done fall-off-the-bone tender. I served myself a piece of breast with brown rice and mixed vegetables: IMG_0933

My sweet end was a dark chocolate blueberry banana muffin: IMG_0935

Well, I just got back from taking and picking DD up from dance class. I’m settling in to watch Dancing With The Stars. Not something I usually tune into but I just HAVE to see Kate Gosselin dance. I heard on the radio that the next thing she wants to do is appear in the soap “All My Children”. Hmm….This could be an interesting season!

Bye for now!!

11 comments:

  1. I love the breakfast your kids made you! You know I am parfait obsessed! Just amazing. A whole Chicken in a crock pot? Who knew??? Fabulous idea. I'm watching dancing right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tasty eats the past few days! I'm living through you..since I am still on a diet of crackers and gingerale :( Hope you are not coming down with what I had!!!

    I am watching dancing with the stars as well! Chad from the football team i support is dancing..annnnd I love it! hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are incredible! So sweet! Are those hershey's coconut kisses?! I heart coconut...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've totally been noshing on raw veggie sandwiches for lunch the past two days and oddly enough have wanted bacon in them! somehow i've been wanting meat the past week...very odd. i need to get some tempeh and make some veg versions!

    and still need to make those muffins! i have everything, just not time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your BLT looks awesome! I haven't had one in ages. I do have some turkey bacon for the boys that I could "borrow" to make one tomorrow... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. back to reality seems smooth and that bacon sandwich looks delish~~ I'll have to try that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The parfait looks so great. Your family is sweet.
    Did you add anythgn to the crock pot with the chicken? What a good idea. I crave a roast chicken sometimes, but don't have the time or drive to make one when I get home, and on weekends I feel like soemthing more exciting.

    Hope you're feeling better Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The breakfast the kids made looks so fancy and yummy--lucky you! Roasting in the crockpot?! What a great idea--the crockpot can literally do it all I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome are your kids for making you such a great breakfast!?! I love that!!
    And now I'm really wanting a BLT. It has been far too long- yours made my mouth water!
    Plus, I didn't know that coconut chocolate kisses existed! I've got to find some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow can you send your kids over here to make me breakfast??!! That parfait looks amazing!!!

    Oh our kids would get along great for sure since they like all the same things!!! Anthony loved the behind the scenes movie book too!!

    The movie was very cute, your kids would like it!!

    That stinks you were not feeling well, glad you got better later in the day though : )

    Have a wonderful day love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you and your hubby are feeling better! Your kids are so sweet -- that birthday breakfast is beautiful! Great idea roasting chicken in a crockpot, I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!