Saturday, September 6, 2008

Pillows of Love

As I was browsing around the Internet last night I came across a waffle recipe over at Fat Free Vegan. It looked delicious, easy enough to make and I had all the ingredients on hand. So I printed it off and that's how this out of this world breakfast came about.

Now, I don't have a waffle iron but I do have this old sandwich maker thing. What you would normally do with it is put a piece of bread down then add your toppings of choice then another slice of bread. Close it up and when the light turns green you have little sandwich "pockets". I figured it would double as a type of waffle iron.

First things first! I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a link work on this blog so I will post the recipe instead. Again, you can find it as well at Fat Free Vegan as it is her recipe.

Fat-free Vanilla or Blueberry Waffles

1 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon potato starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1/2 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
3/4 cup blueberries (optional)
canola oil spray

Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Combine the soy milk, cider vinegar, and agave in a smaller bowl. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the liquid ingredients (or add vanilla extract). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until all flour is moistened. If blueberry waffles, fold in blueberries. Set batter aside while you heat your waffle iron.

Spray your waffle iron with canola oil, if necessary, and follow your iron's instructions for making the waffles, cooking until golden brown. Makes approximately 12 waffles.

Makes about 6 servings. Per serving, without blueberries: 138 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 541mg Sodium; 1g Fiber. 3 Weight Watchers Points.

With blueberries: 148 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 542mg Sodium; 2g Fiber. 3 Weight Watchers Points.

My daughter doesn't like blueberries, so I left them out. These would also be good with chocolate chips!

The only changes I made were 1) I used corn starch 2) I used 1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze & 1/3 vanilla hemp milk 3) I used regular vinegar. Here are the pillows of love before being cooked...



At this point we waited anxiously to see whether or not our "waffle iron" would be a success......and it was!!! PHEW! Here are these heavenly babies cooked and ready to be devoured!



Words can not describe how good these were! They were light and fluffy, yet filling and oh so satisfying. My daughter loved them so much she ate 6 pillows!! I highly recommend trying this recipe.

I decided rather late last to make my last package of Vita Muffins. These were blueberry.



I love Vita Muffins but they are hard to find. I usually order a combo pack online. They are great treats and only 100 calories each. Here they are emerging from my oven at 11pm last night!



While I was waiting for the muffins, I snacked on a peanut butter chewy Kashi bar.



After breakfast we went down to the market. I didn't get as much this time because I had both the kids with me and my son doesn't really like to go so I made it a quick trip.



-strawberries
-blueberries
-peaches
-in the back are 2 pkgs of cold cuts and the green one is pea meal bacon for tonight's dinner

We also stopped at the Vegan vendor for their delicious cookies!



Clockwise from the left we have ginger, double chocolate, cherry pistachio, chocolate chunk and chocolate chip. These cookies are the best ever!

When we got home I managed to get 2 loads of laundry on the clothes line and vacuum the house before lunch.I really wasn't very hungry so I had a Vita Muffin and 1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt with some agave, a chopped up peach, blueberries, raspberries & strawberries and a sprinkle of Smart Bran for crunch. It ended up being pretty big!



The peach was a disappointment. It had no flavor and the texture was off. Kinda mealy. I scooped it out first so the good stuff was left for the end! I hope the whole batch isn't like that.

My daughter was off to her birthday party this afternoon so my son and I went for a walk and then chilled out on the deck. Around three I was getting hungry so I ate two of the vegan cookies....cherry pistachio and ginger. Fantastic as usual! I'm gonna have to start watching the treats, though. For some reason I seem to be slipping into old habits lately. Nothing to harp over....just something to think about.

For dinner I made sure to get some protein in because as I reflected on the days food consumption, I realized that I really hadn't had any. I microwaved 3 egg whites and cooked up the pea meal (Canadian) bacon that I bought at the market today and made it all into a sandwich with 2 pieces of Weight Watchers whole wheat bread. Here it is open faced with some ketchup for dipping.



Once together it made a pretty thick sandwich!



I also made an iced green tea latte. I love having the matcha powder on hand! This is how I mixed it together.

-1 tsp matcha powder and 2 tsp sugar free vanilla powdered coffee mate dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
-combined that with 3/4 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze, half a cup of cold water & 1 tsp of agave
-dropped in about 7-8 ice cubes



Perfection! Well, for me anyways! I realize it might not appeal to everyone....especially in my tacky plastic cup! My parents stopped by for a visit tonight. Mom and I have a day trip planned to go shopping in Buffalo in 2 weeks so we spent some time online scoping out the stores we want to go to. I want to get a start on my Christmas shopping. Eeek! That's kinda scary to think about! I haven't snacked yet tonight and I'm going to try not to. As a back up plan, I promised myself that if I do eat, it will be some type of fruit. I'll post about that tomorrow if I cave!

Bye for now!!

2 comments:

  1. To create a link, first go to the site that you want to link and copy the web address. Then go to your blog entry and highlight the words you want to use as the link, in this case it might have been Fat Free Vegan or the actual recipe. Then you click on the little button that looks like a little piece of a chain. A box will pop up, then paste the wed address into the box and boom, you have a link.

    Oh, and the pillows look great ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You, Christie!! I will give this a shot! I really appreciate the help! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!