Friday, April 10, 2009

Lack of Communication = Last Minute Feast!

Hello, lovelies!!! Hope everybody is well on this Good Friday! It's sunny and warm where I am so I hope the weather is treating everyone properly.

I had an awful time falling asleep last night! I was still wide awake until after 2am. While lying there wondering what the heck was going on, I realized that the French vanilla cap I picked up at 7-11 on my way home last night was caffeinated!
DUH
! It didn't even cross my mind while drinking it at 9pm that it may be. Lesson learned. Regardless of the late night, I was still awake by 8:15am. And I was starving. Here's what I made;
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Quaker oats
-1/2 cup silken tofu
-cinnamon
-pecan pieces & carob chips
I used the blended method on this bowl which made it really thick and creamy. Then there was the crunch from the pecans...YUM! Like my new bowl? I bought it for $1.49 last night!! Here's the brand on tofu that I use...
I ate the rest of my fruit from work as a snack last night. I topped it with some plain yogurt sweetened with agave and cinnamon. What a tasty, healthy treat!!!
Right after breakfast I got laundry going and got my cat litter duties out of the way. Then I went online to check the weather and saw that it was going to be 9 deg Celsius (48F) and mostly sunny. The BBBC for the day was to do some different kind of cardio so I decided to hop on my bike...rather, my hubby's bike as he has a fancy pants one....and went for a 5 mile ride. It was glorious!!! AND, the best part, I was in Capri's, a tee and a light jacket and not cold!!! I was such a nice change of pace. My stats were better than I thought they'd be, too!

Time: 34 minutes
Avg Hr: 141

Max Hr: 179

Calories Burned: 248

Distance: 5 miles (I googled the route before I left to make sure!)


I've probably mentioned before that I live at the top of a hill so no matter what, coming home is always going up one. The bottom of my street to my house was by far the most difficult part of the ride!!! As soon as I parked the bike and got in the house, I threw in my 30 Day Shred and hammered it out while I was still motivated! 2 more times and I move on to level 2! HOOT!

After folding a load of laundry, I was ready for lunch. My hubby brought our patio set out of hiding....I mean the shed.....so we were able to eat outside. YES! I LOVE eating outside. It's one of my favourite things to do in the summer. I made an egg white/LC cheese wedge/Sabra hummus/spinach sammie with a side of grape tomatoes and the last of the container of hummus. There were also juicy strawberries in my very seasonal egg bowl!!
Lunch dessert was a coconut lime oat bar and a few unpictured chocolate eggs.
After lunch I set to work giving the kitchen a good scrub. As the title of this post indicates, we had a last minute feast that involved company so I wanted to make sure things were neat and tidy!! My hubby also hung up one of my purchases from St. Jacob's last week...
I'm loving this shelf!!!

Pepper is really enjoying the weather out on the deck and spent a good few hours out there today. This is what all that fresh air does to my baby:

Next up was blog reading and then a nice, hot shower. Ahhhhhh! So, it being Good Friday and all, meat was not an option today. Perfectly fine with me! DS declared last night that he wanted salmon for dinner today and we all agreed. DD and I went to the grocery store after our appointments last night and picked some up and my hubby and DS did the exact same thing after hockey. Plus they picked up a shrimp ring and some battered calamari. Yup, we ended up with enough fish to feed an army. So, at 9:45 last night we called up my in laws and asked if they would come help us eat it. Thankfully, they were free to join us!!! Then I got thinking that I had no bread, no potatoes....what else could I make to go with the fish??? Here's my very last minute menu!

*Biscuits
*Salmon, Shrimp & Calamari

*Rice Pilaf

*Steamed veggies

*Hubby's Carrot Cake


I got started on the food at 4pm (dinner time was 5:30ish), making the biscuits first, then the pilaf, calamari, veggies and salmon. We enjoyed the shrimp cold. Here's the table all set up;

And here's my plate of goodness...
And my (only) piece of carrot cake;
Still as delish as the other night! I'm glad we had some help eating it, but there's still a quarter of it left! I'll leave it to my hubby and DS to polish off tomorrow! My in laws thought it was a great cake, too!

The rice pilaf I made was very easy. I started with 1 tbsp of avocado oil that I sauteed some onion and red pepper in. When the veggies were soft I added garlic, dried oregano, basil, cumin, coriander, salt & pepper. Then I dumped in 1 cup of rice and let it get toasty for about 3-4 minutes before adding 2 cups of vegetable stock. Bring it all to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Let cook about 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Just before serving I stirred in 2 tbsp of pecan pieces for some crunch. Voila! Pilaf!

It was a very enjoyable evening and I'm glad we ended up doing a last minute dinner. I think those are the ones that turn out best! Sometimes having too much time to plan can lead to uncertainty with our choices.

Well, I just ate 2 cookies from a stash that my MIL brought over...an almond one and a chocolate one. So good. I'll take a picture of the bag tomorrow when there's better lighting. For now, I'm going to help my hubby with some clean up and then relax with a magazine!

Bye for now!!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day Krista! Lunch outside! I love eating outside too!

    Dinner looks fab!! Salmon is one of my favs. I love carrot cake as well... so good!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. My place is on a hill too! It means I always have to conserve some energy if I want to run home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, pecans in the oats and carrot cake!! Perfection.

    Cute cat :-)

    Fabulous evening you had!!

    Enjoy your magazine-reading tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was a fast 5 miles! Great job. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dinner spread! It looks amazing! I love having lots of different things to choose from! I got my coconut spread today!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited- thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, dinner looks amazing! Totally love what you piled onto your plate, and mmmm carrot cake delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're totally right! Caffeine at night is a SUPER guilty culprit for late night insomnia! I'm so sorry it was so hard to fall asleep last night...it really is a terrible feeling. You should be SO proud of yourself for not being affected by that the next day and getting in all that exercise WITH all that healthy food too!!! You go Krista!! wahooo!!! And the coconut lime bar looks DARN yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I wish I had been at your house for dinner. What a great seafood feast :D

    And sounds like today was a bike riding kinda day - I headed out on my bike for the first time this year.

    Cute pics of Pepper :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. last minute meal meeting is always great, just as good as a last minute trip! people get super excited and preparing the meal is super spontaneous which is so fun!
    sorry that you were awake until late because of the coffee... that's not fun!
    that silken tofu package looks fancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AW! Your little pepper looks so sweet!!

    Your good friday dinner looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sandwich sounds amazing! It may have to go on my to make list! Your last minute dinner looks incredible!

    I love that shelf!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for eating outside!!! I always love when I get to do that!

    and that Dinner looks amazing! such a wonderful variety of foods!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your last minute menu!!!

    Those coconut lime bars looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Dinner looks amazing!! Next time you have too much food in the house, especially calamari, feel free to give me a call!!!

    I hate riding a bike uphill!! It's so hard! I did it the other day and was majorly huffing and puffing by the end!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!