Monday, October 13, 2008

A Leisurely Day

We woke up to another glorious morning! The weather the past 4 days has been absolutely spectacular! Not at all like a typical October. I wonder if it’s too much to hope for a nice day for treat or treating at the end of the month? It always seems to rain or snow for the poor kids (and parents!)

I started off my day wondering what to have for breakfast. Very odd for me because I usually crave my oats in the morning. After some back and forth conversation with myself, I decided to just have oats after all. Can’t go wrong there!



-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-grain cereal
-1 Tbsp General Mills International Coffee in Pumpkin Spice
-splash of unsweetened Almond Breeze



These oats did not disappoint. I just love the “chew” of the Old Wessex cereal. Actually, I just opened my last tin today so I have to go easy! I have a tentative trip planned to Buffalo for the last weekend in November but even if I do go, it’s still a long time away!

I spent a leisurely morning with a big cup of Earl Grey tea, sitting in front of my computer catching up on my blog reading and other favorite sites. Very relaxing indeed!



I also puttered around the house cleaning up some odds and ends. Seems like the housework never ends!

Just before lunch we went on a nice 45 minute family bike ride through some trails at a nearby park that we like to go to. Here are a few scenic pictures that I took from the bridge over the river.




Fall is such a beautiful time of year…especially when Mother Nature cooperates! When we came home I was ready for some lunch. I made a toasted Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted English muffin which I topped with a honey crisp apple and a bit of marble cheese. Once it was all assembled, I popped it in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese.




Mmmm...this was very good. Thanks to Zest Cook for reminding me about apple “toppers” in his post! I finished the meal off with a piece of banana bread.



After lunch I spent about an hour raking leaves and sweeping out the garage and driveway. When that was done I felt like having some down time so I whipped up an iced green tea latte and settled in with a book.



Not long after that, the kids were getting rowdy so I got up off my rear end and took them for a walk to 7-11 to get slurpees. That quieted them down for about 10 seconds. :~) No matter! I just ignored the noise after that and continued on with my reading!

Around 3pm I got the munchies and decided to give one of my new cereal's a whirl. This is called Yog Active and it rocked! We bought the Strawberry, Raspberry Vanilla flavor and I would classify it as something you could nosh on for dessert, too! We all love it and I would recommend that if you see it, buy it and try it out. There are other flavors, too.



Dinner tonight was a small steak and lots of steamed broccoli..



My sweet end was a pumpkin tart. No picture because it was the same as the other night!

I made a batch of fresh cranberry sauce after supper. I usually follow the instructions on the bag, but I only put half the sugar in.

-12oz fresh or frozen cranberries
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup sugar

*Bring water and sugar to a boil. Boil for 5 mins
*Add cranberries and boil gently another 5 mins
*Remove from heat and cool before refrigerating

BEFORE:

AFTER 10 MINS

COOLED DOWN:


This sauce is great mixed into yogurt, over ice cream or, as you will see tomorrow, mixed into oatmeal!

Well, I'm off to get organized for the morning. Enjoy the evening!

Bye for now!

4 comments:

  1. Gorrrgeous food and nature photographs!!

    Happy Monday evening!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making cranberry sauce! It is so fun to hear them pop! Sometimes I make it with brown sugar and cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW.... what a post!! Love it
    Awesome pictures. Thanks for the shout out. all your food looks amazing as I sit in my office starving... love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!