Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pizza-rific!

I was up nice and early this morning because my son (DS from now on) had to be on the ice for 8am. I opted to stay home alone (my daughter….DD…went, too) to get the housework done so that it was out of the way nice and early. Before I made breakfast I sorted all the laundry and got a load going. Then I made a nice pot of oats with my new snack mix as a topping.



-1 cup water
-1/3 cup Flax Seed Porridge
-1/3 cup pumpkin puree
-1/4 cup wild blueberries
-1/4 cup Sahale Snacks in Dauphine (walnut)



This was SO good with the nut mix on top. They have a few other flavors that I really want to try now! The stats on them are pretty good, too. 130 calories, 10 grams fat and 2grams of fiber all for 1/3 of a cup. And all natural, cholesterol free, no trans fat and low in sodium. I’d say it’s a nice mix of sweet and salty. I would try this mix sprinkled on a salad, too.

After breakfast, I vacuumed, washed the kitchen floor, unloaded the dishwasher, took apart and washed up the stove top and got some pizza dough going in the bread maker and caught up on some blog reading.

Last night, I snacked on a muffin while watching TV...



Hey! Look who was hiding behind the muffin shot! That’s Charlie, the Brat.



By the time 12:30 rolled around I still wasn’t really hungry but I knew we had some things to do this afternoon that would keep me out of the house for a few hours so I prepared a light lunch.



Some beets and sweet potato fries that I roasted off last night. There’s also some Dijonnaise on the side for dipping. When I roasted the beets I just sprayed them with my oil mister and seasoned them with salt & pepper. Then I covered them and popped them in a 450* oven for 45 minutes. When they cool down, the skin peels off very easily. I just like them plain or with a little S & P. As for the sweet potato fries, I seasoned them with cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, coriander, dried basil and salt & pepper. They went in with the beets but came out after a half hour. YUM!

I also ate a Kashi chewy Honey Almond Flax bar to get some bulk in my belly!



My DS had a play date from 1-3 so DD and I went to the library after we dropped him off. For school this year the kids in her class are required to read for at least 15 minutes a day. DD likes to read so it’s never an issue around here…we just have to make sure she is well stocked with books. Lately, her read of choice seems to be the “Goosebumps” series so she came back with 4 of those. I grabbed a few for myself and DS, too. While out, I enjoyed a Tim Horton's 1/2 decaf, 1/2 hot chocolate....



As I mentioned earlier in the post, I made some pizza dough in the bread machine. The recipe was simple….3/4 tsp salt, 3 Tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp active dry yeast, 4 cup all purpose flour, 1 3/8 of a cup of water. The only change I made was to the flour. I did 1/2 all purpose, 1/2 whole wheat. Here it is just after coming out of the machine...



And three hours later after being punched down twice...



I set aside a tennis ball size piece of dough for myself and used the rest for a cookie sheet size pizza for the family.



This pizza is topped with salami, ham, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, hot peppers, marble cheese and Romano cheese. Here it is after baking for 20 minutes in a 450* oven!



On my pizza we have ham, mushrooms, roasted red pepper, hot peppers, 1/2 oz shredded feta, 1/2 oz smoked Gouda with sun dried tomato and a very small amount of marble cheese.



And hot out of the oven...




I ran the ingredients through the recipe calculator over at Spark People to get a rough idea of the nutritional value on my pizza. The approximate stats are...335 calories, 12 grams fat & 5 grams of fiber. I think it's probably a bit higher than that. I ate 3/4 of this pizza before I'd had enough. My sweet end was a handful of dried fruit trail mix...



And I couldn't possibly not show a picture of my big boy after featuring his brother, so without further ado, I give you Octavius!



PHEW! What a day! The laundry and other chores are complete and Mom & Dad should be here any minute for a visit. Hope everyone enjoys their Saturday night!

Bye for now!

4 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS breakfast, muffin, lunch, and pizza; and CUUUUTE Charlie & Octavius!! :0)

    Enjoy your time with your parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many yummy foods...especially the pizza. Love the cats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Kris, I'm in LERRVE with your GORGEOUS kitties! They are SO cute and that Charlie... You can totally tell he's thinkin, "THAT'S CHARLES." teehehe

    Have fun with the parentals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful eats!

    DD and DS remind me of my days spent on the ww message boards :)

    I also think we have the same kitchen floor and that my new kitty caddie is a long lost relative of your gorgeous Charlie.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!