Thursday, October 23, 2008

Old McDonald Had A Farm....

Today I attended my son’s class trip to a farm as a parent supervisor. I knew I’d have a long stretch between breakfast and lunch, so I prepared a hearty bowl of oats.

-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-Grain cereal
-1/2 a banana
-1 tsp almond butter
-1 tbsp Sahale walnut mix



The breakfast did the trick! I was almost too full by the time I was done, but it stuck with me a good long while!

We hit the road by 9am in a school bus. I haven’t been on one of those since high school! Nothing has changed…it was a bumpy 45 min drive. Once we arrived at the “Yee Haw Farm”, we got organized into our groups. I had 5 kids to look out for while there. First stop was a petting zoo of sorts….pigs, sheep, roosters, bunnies and ducks. After that we went to the barn where we saw these really cute baby chicks...



The kids played a guessing game and enjoyed some drinks and snacks while lounging on hay bales. Off to the pig races we went! This was pretty cute...



The second race out was ducks. That cracked the kids up because they were expecting pigs again!



At this point we stopped for lunch. I packed an apple and a flat out wrap stuffed with a laughing cow cheese wedge, cranberry chutney, lettuce and some leftover crock pot pork.



I only had enough time to eat the apple because I was busy helping the kids with their food containers and making sure that everything was put in the garbage as they finished. Truth be told, I wasn’t really even hungry yet. I ended up eating the wrap when we got back to the school at 1:30pm.

Before we left, we took a wagon ride through the corn fields. We stopped at one point to “pick” pumpkins. Here’s my little man with his prize.



It was a fun trip! All the kids were beat out by the time we left so the bus ride home was quieter than the one going there. I had a few hours to kill before school was out for the day so I made a stop at 7-11 for something warm to drink. Imagine my surprise when I went in and saw that they have pumpkin spice latte in one of the machines! I bought a large that was ¾ latte, ¼ coffee..



Mmmm...heavenly! I made my way over to WalMart to purchase a birthday present for a party my son is attending on Saturday and I also picked up a new place mat, some tea towels, 2 pairs of pants for my boy whose legs won’t stop growing, mittens, hats and these 2 new finds...



Maple flakes (ingredient list states pure maple syrup only) and these Mrs. May's cashew crunch clusters. I can’t wait to try this stuff! After all that, I went to get the kids from school and we filled 4 large paper bags with the leaves that I raked last weekend. Needless to say, it was time for a rest before I started on dinner!

For dinner I made a small pot of soup. Pretty much anything I found in the fridge that would work in soup went in the pot.

-1 1/2 cups chicken broth
-1/2 cup tomato sauce
-1 cup mixed veggie’s
-1/3 cup brown rice
-1 Chris & Tal’s Swiss & Mushroom burger
-S&P
-1 tbsp grated asiago cheese



I served it with 2 Grissol Rustic Flatbread crackers. These guys are really flavorful and go well with soup or broken up into pieces and put on a salad in place of croutons.



And what was my sweet end, you ask? Why, a piece of my Banana Cranberry Pumpkin Cake, of course!



I put a little spray butter on it tonight. I love the way this cake isn't too sweet and the cranberries pack a nice tart punch! Well, I'm off to get things ready for tomorrow so that I can settle in to watch CSI at 8pm. Enjoy the evening!

Bye for now!

7 comments:

  1. Such a fun trip!!!! And delicious food, as always.

    Enjoy watching CSI!! I'll be watching 'The Office' of course :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for class trips!

    I have wanted to try those maple flakes! They would be great in oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Mrs Mays clusters are great - you can get them at Costco in single serving packs. The only thing is they get stuck in your teeth I find, but the taste is awesome.

    And I like your idea of using a veggie burger in soup - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh~~~~ so fun at the farm. those pigs are so cute! (well, I love them, I have a log of toys of it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The farm pics are too cute as is your little guy.

    I have been seeing that maple sugar and have wondered about it. I love maple syrup so I can't imagine that I wouldn't like it. Let us know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love using crackers as croutons on salads. Sometimes I just need a bit of crunch! I normally use Kashi 7 grain crackers, crushed up. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. E I E I O :)..... Looks like you had a great time Krista. Great pictures... breakfast looked yummy as always!
    thanks for sharing
    zesty

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!