Sunday, October 5, 2008

Relaxing Sunday

I think I'll start today's post with my snack from last night. Although the pizza kept me full for almost 5 hours, as with any carbs that I eat, I was full and the next thing I knew, I was ravenous! I took this as the perfect opportunity to whip out my Cocoa Coconut Lara Bar.



I really liked this flavor (couldn't have been the chocolate!!)but Cinnamon Roll is still my #1! The one aspect that I like in ALL the Lara Bars is the consistency. It had that perfect "chew" factor happening that I enjoy so much.

I decided to make pancakes for breakfast from a recipe that I found on Green Lite Bites. The few changes I made were 1) a 1/4 cup of egg beaters for the egg and 2) 1 cup of unsweetened Almond Breeze in place of the milk. I used my 1/8 cup measure to scoop the batter out and ended up with 15 pancakes.



I topped these guys with some pumpkin butter that I bought while in the States and some Becel spray butter.



After breakfast we made our weekly visit out to the farm. On the way, we accidentally hit a (dead) skunk. What a foul, noxious smell! Unfortunately for us, it seems to have stuck to our van ALL day! EEWW!! That aside, the trees out there are starting to look absolutely gorgeous with a huge array of awesome colors! I did take some pictures, but they were a bit blurry. I'll try for some good shots next week. From there we went straight to hockey as DS was on the ice for 12:30. In anticipation of a later lunch, I brought a Kraft Live Active Peanut Butter bar to the rink along with an extra large pumpkin spice tea from Tim Horton's.



And here's an action shot! He's really come a long way already this year and I find it totally cool to see him skate so well! :)



It was 2pm by the time we got home and although I wasn't really hungry, I didn't want to be starving by supper and over eat so I toasted 2 pieces of Weight Watchers whole wheat bread and topped them with some almond butter and apricot preserves.



The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing until it was time to get dinner going. I made a "secret ingredient of the week" recipe from Jenn at Eating Bender's blog.

Butternut Squash & Turnip Bake

Preheat oven to 375*

-1 lb of butternut squash, cubed (about 2 cups)
-1 lb turnip, cubed (about 2 cups)
-1 TSBP olive oil
-dashes of coriander, cumin, chili powder salt & pepper

-1/2 cup Fage
-2 TBSP flour
-1 cup milk
-1 tsp dried basil & thyme

-1 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese

1)In a bowl, combine butternut squash, turnip, spices and oil. Put in a single layer on a baking pan and roast for 35 minutes or until veggies are tender

2)Mix Fage, flour & spices together well and slowly incorporate milk. Transfer roasted veggies evenly between 6 oven proof ramekins and divide Fage mixture among cups. Put back in the oven another 15 minutes.

3)Mix bread crumbs, garlic & cheese and sprinkle on top of ramekins. Set under broiler for 5 minutes or until a nice brown color appears.

4) ENJOY!!



I served this with roasted chicken breast and a side of beets. YUM!



We are off to visit the folks tonight and then I'll be watching the Amazing Race afterwards. Enjoy the evening!

Bye for now!

5 comments:

  1. Larabar + pancakes + pumpkin butter + Butternut Squash & Turnip Bake for the BSI challenge = DELECTABLE!!

    Love the action-shots of your little hockey player!! :0)

    Have fun with the folks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome use of the BSI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, AMAZING recipe!! It looks so crumbly and delicious - and the ingredient list has such a wonderful combination of flavors! Thanks so much for sharing :o) I will add it to the list!

    Those pancakes and pumpkin butter look yummy, too!

    Great hockey shots :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. food looks great..i love turnips and beets too.. and i need to make some of those pancakes for a treat one day when I have alittle more time in the AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim Hortons makes Pumpkin Spice tea?? I have got to try that!!! It's also so nice to see Tim Hortons haha I feel like Dunkin Donuts has been dominating blogland, we need more Canadian Timmys around here :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!