Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Busy One

Look what I woke up to today!



Now, I know it’s just a dusting, but only an hour and a half away they had 15cm!! YIKES! That’s just too close for comfort. They’re still calling for warming temps on Friday, though.

Breakie was a simple but good one today. I just felt like something more traditional in my bowl for some reason.



-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-Grain cereal
-1/2 a banana, mashed
-1/4 cup Sahale snack mix, walnut



Extremely tasty and crunchy! I ran out of cinnamon last night and I did miss that. I love my cinnamon! This kept my going for 5.5 hrs! Killer fuel!

I must say that I am so disgusted with the blue team on The Biggest Loser that at one point during the show last night I got up to bake a little something. Anyone out these following the show feel the same?? Anyways, I’m out of WW flour, so I dug out this recipe from halfmysize.com. Check out the original recipe. I did a few ingredient swaps. Here’s my adaptation:

Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal

-1 cup dry oatmeal
-1 cup oatbran
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 cup unsweetened almond breeze
-1/2 cup egg beaters
-1/2 cup pumpkin puree
-2 Tbsp agave
-1.5 Tbsp cinnamon (the last of my bottle)
-1 tsp coconut extract

*preheat oven to 350 deg
*Combine wet, add dry
*mix well and pour into a 8 x 8 pan
*bake 35 mins
*cool before cutting into 6 pieces

**the recipe says to use either 2 cups of oats OR 1 cup each oats and oatbran**


Here she be out of the oven.



Of course I ate a piece, but forgot to take a picture! Can’t believe it, but I did! It was still a little too warm to really tell how the taste was, but I love the texture of it! (keep reading for a taste update!) **I'll post this in the sidebar under my recipes for convenience sake, but it's not really my recipe...just a spin off of the original

The morning at work was absolutely INSANE! I went non-stop for 3.5hrs...not even a washroom break was squeezed in there! Good thing I had that bowl of oats to power me through! PHEW! I channeled all that built up “buzz” my body was functioning on in my run. Wow! Considering that I really wasn’t feeling like a run today, I powered myself through an intense one! Aren’t those always the best workouts?

Lunch today was an oddball . I had a lonely President’s Choice oat bagel in the fridge and ½ of a yellow pepper. I decided to make them into a sandwich with a Weight Watchers cream cheese cup, salt and pepper. I toasted the bagel, spread the cheese on it, put the pepper on it, then nuked it for 20 seconds. Voila! I ate the leftover pieces of pepper on the side.



A little later on I had a piece of the Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal. I’m happy to report that the taste was right on! I loved the coconut flavoring and the moist texture. The wedges are a generous size...you could probably cut it into 12 pieces for more of a snack size. I picked at a container of grapes throughout the afternoon, too.



Here's a neat recipe I made for dinner;

Acorn Squash stuffed with Autumn Bulgur

-1 cup chicken stock
-1/4 cup each onion, carrots and celery
-1/2 cup bulgur
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
-tsp each cumin, coriander, chili powder, dried basil, garlic powder, salt & pepper
-2 Tbsp grated Asiago cheese
-1 acorn squash

*preheat oven to 375 deg
*cot squash in half cross-way and brush with olive oil, salt & pepper
*place flesh side down on a baking sheet and roast for 35 mins

*Bring stock & veggies to a boil. Stir in bulgur, cover and reduce heat. Cook for 5-10 mins taking care to make sure liquid doesn't completely evaporate
*stir pumpkin puree and spices into the bulgur mixture. Continue to cook over low heat, uncovered, another 5 mins
*Place about 1/2 a cup of bulgur mixture into the well of the acorn squash, sprinkle with cheese and place back in oven another 5 mins.
*Serves 2




I loved this, but boy am I FULL! I ran the recipe through the spark People recipe builder and came up with this:

266 cal
2.4g fat
11.9g fiber
10.3g protein

This is per serving. While I was cooking away, I munched on 2 (OK, I went back for another!) amaretti cookies....



Okay! Off to pumpkin carving I go! Then SYTYCD Canada is on! I have a good night in store!

Bye for now!

9 comments:

  1. Okay, the baked oatmeal, acorn squash, cookies... AMAZING!!! Yum :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun carving! I love your dinner, but that pumpkin baked oatmeal looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything on this post looks so yummy!!!! they're all my favorites!!!!!
    I need to make the baked oatmeal!! maybe right away since I have all the ingredients! (except coconut extract, will coconut flakes work?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An entire post filled with delicious food! You eat this good everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliments!

    balance, joy, food...coconut flakes should work just fine!

    Hangry Pants...I try to eat healthy everyday! Doesn't always work, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious day of food! I soooo need to get our pumpkins carved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your love of oatmeal! I have been looking for more (and creative) oatmeal recipes - you have so many! I am new to your blog but really look forward to reading more. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aghhhh i can feel the COLD from this post!!
    thank you for the recipes-- the squash and baked oatmeal both look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Krista,

    I tried making this baked oatmeal and it tasted great! I did sub honey for the agave nectar and used sweetened almond breeze plain. I also only had oatmeal not oat bran. However, mine came out much darker color. Yours looks much better! It looks much more cakey than mine. Do you think the bran makes such a big difference in the appearance and texture?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!