Sunday, October 19, 2008

Puppies Abound and a Sunset

I started my morning off with a nice big bowl of...oats! No surprise there, eh? I apologize in advance for the blurring shot!

-1 cup water
-1/2 Old Wessex 5-Grain oats
-1 Tbsp International Coffee in Pumpkin Spice
-2 Tbsp Enjoy Life Foods cranapple granola



I cooked this bowl up in the microwave today to save on the dirty pot. After I took the pictures, I mixed the granola in with the oats to soften it up a bit. SO good! I was good and full by the time this was done and it held me over for 4.5 hours. That’s my kind of breakfast! Here's the pumpkin spice flavoring that I used...



For a snack last night I ate 1/2 a cup of plain fat free yogurt with about a 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce and some cranapple granola...



We went out to the farm for our Sunday visit and enjoyed a mid morning coffee. I snapped a few cute doggie (and DS) pictures! In the first picture we have Turbo & Coal. The second one is Coal, Daisy and my boy all tuckered out! Enjoy!



For lunch I made an egg white English muffin with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. I sprayed a small glass bowl with some PAM and poured a 1/3 of a cup of egg whites in it with a sprinkle of each salt & pepper. That went in the microwave for 1 min 30 sec. The whites really puffed up! This sandwich was humongous!



After that I ate a honey crisp apple smeared with almond butter and a small handful of Sahale snack mix in walnut. I didn’t take a picture of the walnuts as they were an after thought.



I spent a good part of the afternoon in a patch of sun in my kitchen reading my book. Reading a long time is so relaxing to me that I get sleepy so when my eyes started to cross I got up and made a batch of Hearty Autumn muffins from Vegan Dad’s website.




My only “change ups” were the omission of raisins as DD despises them, WW flour in place of all purpose and applesauce in place of the oil. I ran the recipe through the Spark People recipe builder and came up with 101 calories, .06g fat, 4.7g fiber & 3.4g protein.

After all that relaxation, it was time to hit the road for DS’s hockey game. I made a to go mug of Gingerbread tea.



Seeing as he was on the ice very close to dinner time, we stopped at Wendy’s on the way home for some takeout. My hubby was playing hockey himself at 7pm and didn’t want to eat much so he ordered a chicken sandwich with a side salad which I ate. I paired it up with about a cup of lentil and rice pilaf with some (fake) Greek yogurt on top.



To make the yogurt, I put a 1/2 cup of plain fat free yogurt in a coffee filter lined strainer when I got up this morning. By dinner all the whey had dripped out and I was left with a thick Greek like yogurt. I believe this is also called "yogurt cheese”. Whatever you want to call it, it did the trick!

For my sweet end I made a mug of Camino organic dark hot chocolate. It helped to soothe the chill in my bones from the rink!



I hope you all aren't becoming bored with my scenic pictures because i have another great one for you! My mother in law took this out at the farm the other evening. It's just too beautiful not to pass along!



Before I sign off, I'll leave you with a tidbit of information I came across today regarding quinoa. Apparently, in the Mayan language, "quinoa" means "Mother Grain". Learn something new everyday, don't we?!

Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. Oatmeal + Honeycrisp apple & almond-butter + muffins = HOLY YUM!!!

    Aww, Turbo, Coal, and Daisy are precious!!

    GORGEOUS sunset!!

    Interesting tidbit regarding quinoa!! My favorite gluten-free grain :0)

    Have a lovely evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good idea to make greek yogurt!
    And also a good idea to eat Enjoy Life granola. I just got some this weekend, and they're too hard to eat plain, so I think I'll soft them as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Pups!


    Gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!