Monday, October 27, 2008

Treats in the Mail!

I woke up to the sound of pouring rain this morning. I find the sound of rain drops to be extremely soothing. Maybe too soothing because I almost fell back asleep! Thank goodness I was hungry because that was a real motivating factor in stumbling to the shower! The bowl of oats I made today was really yummy, but didn’t hold me over very long...only a couple of hours. Weird, but more on that in a wee bit.



-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Flax Seed Porridge
-½ mashed banana
-1/3 cup fresh raspberries
-cinnamon
-cinnamon sprinkles



I’ve gotten a few very nice compliments on my bowls, plates, etc lately and just wanted to say “THANKS!” I’m always on the lookout for new, unique pieces. My daughter loves to help me look, too! I’m going to have a very eclectic dinnerware collection to pass on someday!

So, by 10:30am I was getting an impatient belly. I tried talking myself out of being hungry, but finally gave in and ate the last Autumn Harvest muffin. We’re changing our hours around at work a bit which is a good thing. It will require me to schedule a little differently, but the end result is in our favor. This is what we’re doing; we usually work 8:30-4:30 with an hour lunch. Because we work in payroll for a school board, the employees asked that there be someone in the department over the lunch hour to answer phones. The 4 of us rotate one week at a time now for computer back up purposes at the end of the day. In keeping with this schedule, whoever is responsible for back up will work that week 8:30-4:30 with lunch at 12:30-1:30. The other 3 will work 8-4 with 2 taking lunch from 12-1 and one taking lunch from 11:30-12:30. Voila...phones are covered and 3 weeks out of 4, we start and leave earlier! This is my back up week, so lunch was later. About 45 mins before my run, I ate a small wedge of my pizza. I hate going on the treadmill hungry!



Despite the fact that my head still feels like a football, I had a good run. I ran a little slower than normal, but managed 3 miles in just a wee bit over 30mins. I was just relieved to have the energy to get back on after 4 days!

Lunch was a mish mash of leftovers. That’s what happens when you’re too lazy the night before to get a real lunch together! Ah, well…it was good none the less!



Here we have roasted butternut squash, turkey, parsnips and the last of the pizza. Filled my belly up just right. I had also packed a honey crisp apple but didn't end up eating it.



It's gonna hang out on my desk until tomorrow!

Once again, Monday = dance night. I switched my hat from payroll clerk to taxi driver and proceeded to pick up the kiddies at my parents and take DD to dance lessons. While I was doing this, my hubby BBQ’d some chicken breasts for supper. I ate mine with some steamed asparagus and roasted red peppers.



My co-worker made some more of her yumilicious cookies over the weekend and was kind enough to share (again)! She slimmed them up a bit by subbing egg whites for the eggs, nixing some of the all purpose flour for whole wheat and using half brown sugar half sucanat (I don’t know how to spell that!). Check this lovely out!



I ate this delight as my sweet end! Thanks, D! Before I picked DD up, I headed on over to our Italian specialty store for the star ingredients of tomorrow's all new breakfast recipe!. I've been dying to make it for a few days now, but have just today had time to pick up these babies!



Amaretto Biscotti!! Now, I realize that I may not look it, but I am 100% Italian. My parents originate from northern Italy. These are the types of cookies that were staples in my house as a kid and I love them to this day. They are the all star in my absolute favorite dessert which, by the way, my Mom is the Queen of making. That's the only hint I'm dishing out! You'll have to tune in tomorrow to see my creation! You won't be disappointed...

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their suggestions on my request for allergy free baking for the kid’s classes. I have some great leads to check out. I’ll be sure to post what I make...you’ll see that either Wednesday or Thursday!

Last but certainly not least, I was totally JAZZED to find these in my mailbox when I arrived home!!!!!!



The thoughtful, ever so awesome Beadie(Christie) over at whatiateyesterday sent these to me! I am SO thrilled to have the opportunity to try these because I can't find these in Canada...anywhere. And trust me when I say I have searched! I'm going to play ennie minnie miny moe tomorrow and see which one I get to eat as my sweet end! THANK YOU, BEADIE!!


Time for me to go get things in order for the morning. They're calling for snow...YIKES! I'm so excited bout my breakfast that I hope I can sleep! I know, I'm a total nerd! :)

Bye for now!

16 comments:

  1. Honeycrisp apple + Amaretto biscotti + treats from Christie = SO FUN AND DELICIOUS!!! :-D

    Snow here right now :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when you talk about how excited you are about your change in schedule! I work in an office too, and getting out earlier in the day is SUCH a treat!

    Also - honeycrisp apples are the best out there.

    My favorite use of honey crisps (I found this recently!) you mix half a cubed butternut squash and 1 honeycrisp apple, and then simmer in a covered pan with a cup of apple cider and sage until tender. It makes the house smell amazing, and tastes like Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy Jo,

    Thanks for the great apple/BNS idea! I'll give that a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Great blog! You make some amazing looking food! You are also gorgeous! How many kids do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow already?! I guess being on the west coast we just don't know what this snow in October thing is like. I would be excited to see some snow!

    And hurray for treats in the mail - especially treats you can't get here! I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy oatmeal in cute bowl. It's a pleasure to see your daily oatmeal, not only because of its ingredients, but also its container.

    Those biscottis look great! I used to make my own almond biscotties, what's the different with amaretto almond biscotti?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for Beadie and Honest Bars. I still have not tried them. Love all your eats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erica,

    Thanks for the compliments! I have 2 kids...my daughter is 9, my son 6!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely seee some good things in that cookie. Do get the recipe if you can.

    Yah Beadie. So sweet. Are those the "planks?" I've never seen them in stores either. Hope you enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg that cookie looks great...think you might be able to smuggle the recipe away?

    ahhhh beadie...so nice of her! I had all of those too and they rock! i hope you enjoy them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your oatmeal recipe - comfort food all the way :)

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  12. what sweet mail!!! enjoy them! the cookie looks fab - you must try and smuggle the recipe, please?

    i can imagine the treadmill would be much more appealing after a yummy slice of pizza like that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoooray! I am so glad you got the honest food bars! I hope you like them. The choco pnut butter one is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The honest bars look tasty. Did you try them? I haven't had them! The asparagus really caught my eye. Looks delicious for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That bowl of oats looks great! What a perfect way to start a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A boy and a girl! How awesome! That is just fantastic! With all of your good eats- I bet your a fabulous mom!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!