Saturday, June 12, 2010

I.O.U.

I can not believe that the weekend is half over already. Today just seemed to fly by. Sheesh! I was thinking about the blog earlier this morning and realize that I owe you guys a few things. A product review, finished bathroom photos, veggie garden photos….I promise to get all that done this week. And I’ll start right now with my garden patch. IMG_2025

It’s not as big as I’d like, but I had to make do with the space I squeezed out at this house. My old place had a beautifully sized garden! This next picture is of my tomato plants and lettuce:IMG_2026

And next is green & yellow zucchini, spaghetti squash and butternut squash.IMG_2027

I’ll take more pictures in a month or so when everything is a bit bigger.

On to the food! Yesterday’s breakfast was a sweet one.IMG_2021

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup Quaker oats
  • cinnamon
  • carob chips
  • walnut pieces

IMG_2020

Before going to the gym I ate a slice of whole grain bread with blackberry peach jam.IMG_2022

I hopped on the treadmill for an incline walk at lunch.

  • Time: 45 minutes
  • Avg Hr: 162
  • Max Hr: 180
  • Calories Torched: 461
  • Distance: 3.2 miles

For lunch I nuked some egg whites and plopped them on a toasted Ezekiel English muffin that had a LC cheese wedge spread on it:IMG_2023

That sucker kept me F-U-L-L!!

I whipped up a great stir fry for dinner. It had yellow & red bell peppers and tofu tossed in Renee’s sweet onion salad dressing. I also made a package of soba noodles to serve it over. Finally, the top was studded with melty goat cheese;IMG_2024

This was bursting with flavour and came together in no time. After dinner I got DD ready for her final recital night and then we all hit the road to go watch. I didn’t get anymore photos because she had to go backstage right away and cameras aren’t allowed in the theatre, but the whole performance was amazing. Lively music, beautiful costumes….so much fun! By the time we arrived home it was 11pm and we were all beat out.

I woke to a dull, drizzly morning and just lounged in bed until almost 9am. I woulda stayed longer but my tummy was demanding food fast. I had my heart set on French toast so that’s exactly what I made. I used egg whites, USAB, cinnamon and vanilla, then soaked 2 slices of whole grain bread until the liquid was gone. IMG_2031

I let it cook until a nice crust formed and then hit the toast with some butter and hazelnut flavoured agave for one heck of a foodgasm!IMG_2029

The whole family went to the local farmers market after breakie to pick up some goodies. I bought beets, vegan cookies, fresh (as in, harvested at midnight) eggs (from one of the teachers at my kids school), LOCAL (!!) strawberries, local asparagus, spring mix lettuce, thickly sliced bacon and my hubby and I went halfsies on steaks. We can home, dropped the goods off and then I went right back out the the grocery store. By the time I got back it was almost 1pm and I was hangry. I made myself a large salad with the market greens, the last ear of corn, some leftover stir fry, blue cheese and sweet onion salad dressing:IMG_2032

Don’t let this photo fool you; this is a full sized salad bowl and it was just perfect! I also dove into a “mountain man” vegan cookie…my fave! IMG_2033

The afternoon was spend relaxing some and going to Walmart with DS so he could buy himself a new video game. HA! My hubby grilled up the market steaks for dinner and I sautéed the beets.IMG_2034 Unfortunately, I was less than impressed with my meal. I don’t often eat steak, but usually enjoy it when I do. This time, not so much. I found the beets to be a bit bitter, too. *sigh* Dessert more than made up for it, though. I had some coconut sorbet topped with local strawberries. Hell ya!!IMG_2035

Knocked my socks off!!! My parents came by for a visit tonight and then I had the pleasure of cleaning the cat litter. The joy. But I did get outside long enough to pick some fresh flowers for the kitchen table:IMG_2015

I think I’m going to watch a few episodes of Criminal Minds and then turn in early for some extra shut eye. How is your weekend going?

Bye for now!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about a successful trip to the farmer's market! And that french toast looks amazing. I can't remember the last time I had that. Mmmmmm! I love the veggie patch, too :) It's gonna be awesome once things start to sprout! Oh, how'd DD's recital go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice garden patch, I'd love to have one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I wish I had a garden patch, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that I keep having to miss all our farmer's markets lately because I'm always working when they are on. So much good stuff to browse! At least we have local strawberries in my store :D

    You sauteed the beets with the leaves and all attached? They must have been wee little things. I still can't get into beets. Although I want to make a soup with them, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite a food-filled day! I love going to the farmer's market :) Local strawberries are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How good is that bread in french toast? YUM! I want to make it again now :) The garden looks fabulous. I get excited when I see signs of progress in mine. The beets are beautiful and I'm coming to visit you to get a mountain man cookie ;) My weekend has been awesome! I'm on my way out the door to walk the bridge in Charleston with another blogger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great start to the garden Krista! i wish we didn't forget to plant one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living in an apartment, I lack any yard space, which I don't like because I've always liked having a garden! Thankfully my grandpa has a HUGE 2 acre garden and plants all of my requests, so I can't wait till the produce starts coming :-) Beautiful flowers too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great weekend! Ours has been good too...friends, family and food, can't ask for much more:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the garden!!! Its great!!!!

    Im so glad DD's recital went great!!!!!!!!!

    Love french toast!!! yum! I need some in my life!!

    Have a relaxing Sunday!!!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos of your food. You have some awesome looking dishes!

    I have not had coconut sorbet in a long time, thanks for the reminder of an easy dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, it's crazy how fast time is going by! I just bought some local berries at the farmers' market this weekend too -- I was thrilled! :) That salad looks pretty phenomenal, I love the corn in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm... Your eats always look fabulous!! Makes me miss so many things I can't eat with all my food allergies... :/ Such is life.. ;) Im lovin the local produce now too... SO GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the pool of agave/liquid has me thirsty. i could DRINK that liquid! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!