Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thursday Already?

Today went by fast! Actually, this whole week seems to have gone by fast. Breakfast was a sweet treat today;IMG_1911

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup Quaker oats
  • cinnamon
  • raisins
  • cashews, carob chips and hazelnut mocha sprinkles

IMG_1910

We’ve been pretty busy at work the past few weeks so lunch time comes quick. I ate a chocolate mint Clif bar pre gym: IMG_1912

The elliptical was in use again today so back on the treadmill I went. I upped the incline to 8% today, though and only did 40 minutes because I got chatting and lost some time. LOL!

  • Time: 40 minutes
  • Avg Hr: 152
  • Max Hr: 169
  • Calories Torched: 395
  • Distance: 2.8 miles

Lunch was a bowl of turkey quinoa stew.IMG_1913

This stuff is SO darn good!! I also had some (previously frozen) peaches;IMG_1914

Peaches are about the only fruit I can eat thawed out. I find that most of them turn to mush and that is one texture that truly makes me gag. The peaches stay firm which I like!

The fam had pasta for dinner and I made myself a batch of asparagus barley risotto:IMG_1915

  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 an onion, chopped
  • 1 cup pearl barley
  • 3 cup stock (I used chicken)
  • chopped asparagus (I used about 14 stalks)
  • 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated parm
  • salt & pepper
  1. Heat oil in large pot and add onion. Cook until tender (about 5 minutes)
  2. Add barley and cook 1 minute
  3. Add broth, bring to boil, cover and reduce heat
  4. Cook for approx 15 minutes or until barley is tender
  5. Remove from heat, add asparagus and mushroom S&P and cover again
  6. Let stand for another 5 minutes
  7. Serve with a sprinkle of freshly grated parm
  8. Prepare to smack lips with delight!

IMG_1916

Soon after eating we went to soccer. I left my camera at home because the rain was threatening to pour down and I didn’t want to risk getting it wet. DS scored 3 goals and had a blast. Just before typing this out I heated a slice of whole grain bread and spread some peach/blackberry jam on top. IMG_1917

Ya think I love this bread??? HA! I’m off to watch SYTYCD again!

Bye for now!!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats to DS! Three goals? Thats awesome. Glad the day went by quick- that is always nice. The risotto looks awesome. I really like barley and I bet it just makes this dish. Happy (almost) Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this week has gone by super fast as well. I can't believe it was actually quite a while ago that I was stuck in studio for 9 hours in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazelnut mocha sprinkle sounds delish! This week has flown by - its a long one for me because I am on call on Saturday to Sunday though, sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job DS!!! :) The bread look delicious!

    Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMERS!!!

    Your meals are all so gourmet! I wish I could come share!!!

    Hope you are well, Krista!

    XO,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to find some of those mocha sprinkles--they sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 goals! DS is amazing!!! Your oats look delish!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're breakfasts are amazing, and I really like that Cliff bar.
    I've been watching some of SYTYCD, it's sooo good! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to take some lessons from you in the cooking department. Your meals always look so good!! Congrats to DS. What a star.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok I need a slice of that bread and a biiiig bowl of the turkey quinoa stew! YUM! Have an awesome Friday, Krista!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. turkey and quinoa stew *eyes wide open* mmmmm!

    i really want to try that cool mint clif bar. should i do it? is it the best or which one should i try? any recommendations...?

    xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, risotto. With asparagus and mushrooms. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just picked up the Maple Nut Clif Bar and the Cool Mint one!!! im gonna try them this week and post it on my blog! thanks for the recommendations. how lucky i was to find both at the store! especially since u said u couldnt find the maple one i think. can't WAIT!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!