Sunday, September 28, 2008

50th Year Celebration

I woke up to sunshine today which was a great surprise because they had been calling for rain. Put me in a good mood right off the bat!

I made a nice, satisfying bowl of goodness this morning that was a delight on the palate!

-1 cup water
-1/4 cup Old Wessex 5-Grain cereal
-1/4 cup oat bran
-2 Tbsp Archer Farms Tropical Fruit & Berry trail mix
-cinnamon



This bowl did what I needed it to by keeping me full until 1pm and it tasted great! I loved all the chewy tidbits of sweet fruit in there!

The elementary school that I attended (as well as my Mom and my kids) is celebrating its 50th year this year. Today, they had some festivities that my daughter and I attended while my son and hubby were at hockey. It started off with church at 11am. I haven't been to a full Mass in many years and I was surprised at how much has stuck with me! I guess when you do something once a week for your whole childhood, the routine becomes ingrained! The church is right beside the school so afterwards everybody made their way to the gym for a few presentations and a light lunch. Here's my plate...



I left a bit of the salad and my daughter ended up eating the egg salad sandwich because I'd had enough. Everything was good as far as sandwiches and pasta salad go, but it's not the type of food that I have a problem saying no to. They also had cake which I ate a small piece of.



It was really neat to see some of my teachers there! And even neater that they remembered me! (probably because I wasn't exactly the quietest student ever!) My first grade teacher was there as well as my second, third and sixth grade teachers and my old principal. Funny enough...my third grade teacher was also my Mom's third grade teacher! She was one of the first teachers when the school opened it's doors in 1958! They also had memorabilia set up throughout the school so my daughter got a kick out of some of the old picture's that she saw of me and my classmates from the eighties! I'm really glad we went!

We got home around 2pm, changed and made our way to the farm for our weekly visit. While there I munched on a Curves bar, 2 digestive cookies and a few pretzels. I had also eaten a blueberry muffin on the way there. Although I felt full at lunch, I don't think I was really content with what I ate so I ended up grazing for the rest of the afternoon. :(

Supper was just me and the kids as my hubby had a hockey game in the next town over the dinner hour. I made them "pizza pockets" in the sandwich maker which they asked that I photograph for the blog so here they are!



Inside was marinara sauce, marble cheese and ham.



I made a wrap with some 3 bean dip, 1/3 cup egg whites, 1 slice smoked gouda and roasted red pepper strips. Here it is before the roll up.



I served it with some leftover sauteed veggies from the other night. I've made this "wrap" before and really enjoy the blend of flavors. I need to think of a catchy name for it!



I also made a batch of these pumpkin muffins. Here they are before baking...



And piping hot out of the oven....



These muffins are moist and delicious! I made them many times last fall as they are great for a light snack. Give'em a try!

After reading one of Megan's posts yesterday I was reminded of all the wonderful fall flavors Stash tea puts out at this time of year. Looking through my cupboards, I found some Pumpkin Spice and Holiday Chai from last year. I drank one last night and plan on another tonight while watching The Amazing Race premiere.



This stuff is so, so good!

Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. The Holiday Chai is good too! Tastes like Gingerbread to me!

    What a great event you attended. Sounds like you went to a school similar to mine. It opened it's doors around the same time and we went to Mass at least 2 times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... Great post. I think I came up with a catchy name for your wrap. Do you like the name....Tantilizing Triple Bean Gouda Wrap. Love your blog as always.

    Zesty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your blog and am really enjoying it! Your posts remind me I need to break out some of my teas...!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!