Sunday, September 14, 2008

Back on Track

Regardless of the fact that I'm still fighting a cold, I had a busy day today and that in itself made me feel so much better! I think sometimes sitting around when you're feeling under the weather just opens the door to self pity!

To start off I had my bowl of oats, of course! While digging around in the lazy susan last night, I came across a flavored coffee that I had forgotten about and seeing as there is no fruit in my house, I decided to flavor my breakfast with it. The flavor is Pumpkin Spice.



I know the picture is a little blurry, but you get the idea, right? This is what went in the pot!

-3/4 cup water
-1/4 vanilla hemp milk
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-Grain cereal
-1 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice coffee mix
-2 Tbsp wheat berries



I thoroughly enjoyed this meal. The flavor and texture hit all the right notes with me this morning!

After breakie we went for our Sunday visit at the farm. I put back 3 unphotographed arrowroot cookies with my tea. Man, those things are great for dunking!! After a couple hours of catching up with the weeks events (or lack there of), we made our way home for a quick lunch before hitting the road to the apple orchard.

I experimented today with some flavors in my wrap that I thought would be tasty. I spread cream cheese (Weight Watchers single serve cup) on a tomato flavored Flatout wrap and topped it with a bit of apricot preserves and ham.





My husband thought it looked gross and maybe it did, but BOY! Did those flavors ever compliment each other. I mean, pork and fruit are known to be great partners! I folded it in half and heated it until crisp in a dry frying pan. Sorry, no picture! Every one I took was WAY to blurry to see anything. :( I ate every bite of it, though! I finished lunch off with a blueberry Vita Muffin---again, the picture was just not good.

Once we all ate we made our way through the winding country roads to the apple orchard....about 45mins away.



We bought some of these apples...



And we got some of these. We've never had this kind before but the bin was almost empty so we took that as a sign that they're good!



And my absolute favorite apple ever! I got a BIG bag of these as they're only around at this time of year. I think that's why I find them so delicious....I can't have them year round so when I do eat one, it's like a treat.



Ginger gold's are sweet with just a hint of tartness and so crisp and crunchy that you'd think you just bit into a potato chip! Yum, YUM, YUM!!!!! Here's my first bite of the year...



They also have an array of homemade jams, jellies & chutney's....



I did pick a flavor, but more about that in a bit!

We went to Costco right after the orchard to pick up some supplies and then on to my parents house for my sister's birthday dinner. Her actual birthday was Friday, Sept 12, but we celebrated today. What a feast! My parents are both Italian so there's always good eats for dinner there! Here are some before shots!

Sausages & pork tenderloin stuffed with pesto, garlic and proscuitto....



Lasagna, buns & grilled zucchini....



Salad and veggies...



Here's round #1 on my plate. We have lasagna, a whole wheat bun and some salad with a drizzle of balsamic dressing.



Round #2 - lentil salad, grilled zucchini, stuffed pork tenderloin, veggies and half a sausage. Delish!



The birthday girl wanted an ice cream cake so I give you Reese Peanut Butter ice cream cake from DQ!



The coolness of the ice cream felt so good on my irritated throat that I just had to have another small piece! :)

Here's a picture of me and the birthday girl....happy 23rd, Lisa! (Yes, she is much younger than me!)



And us with Mom! Say "cheese!"



I went home with 2 big baskets of pears from my parents tree. I think there might be an apple/pear theme going on this week!



When we finally made it home, I got lunches and backpacks ready for the morning and tried my new treat from Chudleigh's...date & nut spread.



My first taste of this wonderful concoction nearly made me cry it was so good! I was tempted to just dig in with a spoon so I very quickly grabbed a piece of bread to spread it on!



It's sweet and sticky and chewy and crunchy all at once! And it's all natural. There were only about 5 ingredients in it and it's only 35 calorie per tablespoon. I'm pretty sure you can count on seeing this in my breakfast tomorrow!

As for now, it's 11:24pm and I need to go to bed! Guess who's going to be a tired pussy cat in the morning?

Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a macro function on your camera, probably a little flower symbol? Use that setting with no flash in natural light for the best food photos. I also find that the portrait setting in conjunction with the macro/no flash works great. Should solve your blurry photo problem.

    Anyway, I don't think the flatout looked or sounded gross, sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the international coffee stuff... what is the ingredients list like on that coffee... i love anything pumpkin flavored!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christie! I do seem to have that on my camera. I'll get my hubby to help me out if I run into a snag! Thanks for all the great tips!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!