Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Party's Over

I rolled out of bed at a lazy 8:30 this morning. I had a headache that’s pretty much stuck with me all day long. Bah. My system must know that it’s back to work tomorrow. I may be feeling a little bit whiny about that, but secretly, I thrive on a routine so it’ll be nice to have some normalcy back in my life after such a hectic December!

I had some fat free evaporated milk in the fridge that was left over from the chocolate cake that I made for New Year’s Day, so I decided to use it up in my breakfast.

-3/4 cup evaporated milk
-1/4 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-Grain cereal
-cinnamon
-a “blob” of fig preserves (the end of the jar)

This was very filling, but I’m not sure how I felt about the evap milk. It seemed cloyingly sweet and a bit gaggy towards the end. Oh, well….lesson learned!!

For a snack last night I ate a gala apple with a scoop of almond butter.

This is one of my favourite flavour combinations. YUM!

We made our weekly visit to the farm after breakie and I ate 2 cookies with my coffee while catching up on the week’s events.

Funny looking things, aren't they?!

We stopped at McDonald’s on our way home because DS decided he wanted to have his birthday party there so I had to book a time slot. So far, we are set to go for Jan 25 from 1-3. His actual birthday is the 28th. God, I can not believe that my baby will be 7 in 24 days! Seems unreal to me. Here's a photo of him at about 2 months old...


Baby!!

I wasn’t really hungry for lunch, but I knew I had to eat something or I’d just end up picking all afternoon so I mixed a 0% Fage with a Tbsp of honey and a handful of Kellog’s Satisfaction cereal.

This was followed by an unphotographed medjool date. I am loving those dates!!

A little later on I made myself a cinnamon latte to settle in with while I did some blog reading.


I made a huge pot of chili for dinner tonight. I love this dish for its versatility. When I make chili, I just grab whatever I find on hand that sounds good. Here’s tonight’s mix:

Chicken Chili

-2 tsp olive oil
-1 onion, diced
-1 each red, yellow & orange pepper, cut into chunks
-3 cloves of garlic
-1 lb of chicken breast, chopped
-1 Tbsp chili powder
-1 tsp each cumin & oregano
-S & P
-1 28oz can diced tomatoes
-1 cup tomato sauce
-1 19 oz can romano beans

*heat oil in large pot and add chicken. Cook until almost cooked through
*add onion, peppers and garlic. Cook another 5 minutes
*add spices…cook 1 more minute
*stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans
*bring to a boil, then partially cover and let simmer for 15 minutes

I like to serve mine with a dollop of plain yogurt on top.

This evening will be spent preparing for tomorrow....making lunches, backpacks packed, snowsuits dried out, etc....you know the drill! Also, all the bedsheets were washed today so I have beds to make now. Yipee!

I’ll leave you with a little tidbit I found while reading my Family Circle magazine last night.

“If you take lemon & sugar in your tea, always add the sugar first since the lemon’s acid will prevent it from dissolving”

Bye for now!!

9 comments:

  1. FIG PRESERVES!! FUNNY-LOOKING COOKIES (haha)!! Yum.

    Aww, love the old photo of DS!!

    Good luck preparing for tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmmmm chili. Such a great din din! I cannot believe its Sunday-booooooo!

    Did you make your latte in a magic bullet cup? hehe

    Hope your Monday goes well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that poor child in his Leafs jumper/hat. I don't know if we can be friends anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chili looks great! I normally love and crave chili in the winter but haven't had much of it this winter yet so far ... maybe I'll have to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fig preserves look great on that breakfast! Looks like a must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you make your cinnamon latte? It sounds and looks great!

    Happy early birthday to your son - CUTE baby picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy chili! I love fig preserves!

    Cute pic of your son!

    ReplyDelete
  8. K-To make the latte I used a 1/4 cup of skim milk, instant coffee & cinnamon syrup. I used my frother to whip it up and then sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top....

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!