Sunday, March 8, 2009

Baking, Cleaning & Chilling

I think this has been the laziest weekend we have had in a long time. Makeup didn't even make it to my face the past 2 days! My hubby and I watched a crappy Richard Gere movie last night called "The Flock". Not recommended! Before we popped it in, I made my green monster of the day. This mix had pretty much the same produce in it....3 good handfuls of spinach, 4 frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen mango, 1 tbsp ground flax and the one little change, 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze.
This one tasted just like ice cream! The only drawback is that I'm left stone cold by the time I finish it! Brrr!

I got a good solid 8 hrs of much needed sleep in and woke up at 9am...or 8 if you want to go by the old time! For breakfast I heated up a serving of Apple Pie Oats and drizzled some cinnamon bun coffee creamer on top.

I have one serving of this left in the freezer so I decided it was high time to pull the crock pot out for another batch. This time I went with Pumpkin Pie Oats. I followed the recipe to a "T" with the addition of a 1/4 cup of slivered almonds for crunch. Here's what it looked like after 2 hours of cooking time...
I got 6 generous 1 cup servings out of this batch. To store it, I portion it out into Ziploc baggies, flatten it and pop them in the freezer for quick, easy breakfasts. DS wanted you all to know that he like his oats in the morning, too. His pick? Quaker instant Dino Eggs! *He still looks pretty wiped out from yesterday, but is feeling just fine today.*
I had some leftover pumpkin from the oats so I decided to make a Hungry Girl Pumpkin Loaf while the kitchen was still upside down. I've made this many times and it always turns out fabulous!!! Hot out of the oven;
I spent the remainder of the morning doing my chores that were neglected yesterday. The boys were at hockey so I put DD to work with a Swifter duster while I got busy scrubbing the kitchen down and vacuuming. I truly dislike housework, but I'm always happy when the house looks nice and clean! I snacked on these 3 figs as I worked. And, yes....I need some serious moisturizer on my hands!!
By the time we were done, the boys were back and it was lunch time....already! I wasn't starving or anything so I went with a simple egg white, Sabra jalapeƱo hummus and spinach sandwich. A juicy blood orange joined the fun on the plate!
I know that the bread here looks like Arnold Thins, but it's actually not. The brand is called "Pita Break" and they're pretty much the same. These ones are higher in calories, but I can't find a lighter version and for someone like me who isn't fond of bread, they're worth it!
We went for our weekly visit to the farm this afternoon. It was my MIL's b-day last week and we missed our visit due to 2 hockey games so we enjoyed some of her Oreo birthday cake today!
So naughty, but SO good!!!!! My hubby had to leave at 3:30 for his own hockey game so I browsed the Internet until it was time to start cooking dinner. I had some pasta sauce in the freezer so I defrosted that and made a pot of pasta for the fam. I had some random ingredients in the fridge that I wanted to use up so I came up with this;

I heated a 1/2 cup of veggie broth and cooked a small onion, 2 gloves of garlic and a tsp of ginger until soft. Then I added some chili powder and a tbsp of curry powder. Next up was a half cup of diced tomatoes with their juice, 1 cup chickpeas and 1/2 cup rice. Once that was piping hot, I stirred in 2 tbsp of peppercorn crusted goat cheese until melted. Here it is cooking away...
I put half in my bowl and the other half went into the fridge for tomorrow night's dinner. I put a biscuit on the side to wipe the sauce from the bottom of the bowl.

After I took the picture's, I added a dollop of plain yogurt which made it very creamy. This "recipe" turned out fabulous! Not sure what to call it, though. It was definitely reminiscent of Indian cuisine. Any of you have any ideas???

We are off to my parents now where you can be sure that I will eat a few cookies. When we get back, I plan to watch The Amazing Race while walking on my treadmill. After that will be green monster time, then bed shortly after. How fun does that all sound?? :)

Bye for now!!

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, how about Cheesy Chickpea Curry?
    Looks fab no matter what it's called! :)

    And who needs make up when you've had such a good weekend? DS is adorable!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the film :-( But hooray for the Green Monster, cake, loaf, oats, chickpea dish... FABULOUS!! :-)

    Have fun with your folks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that chickpea curry dish looks fabulous!! glad ds is feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow - I MUST make that "recipe"! It looks and sounds insanely delicious!! Way to go on all the baking/cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking everywhere for sabra's jalapeno hummus and arnold thins. Where do you buy these products? They sound so good, I've been dying to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that dish is amazing!!! i totally need to make that!

    and yay for baking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a cooking/baking sunday afternoon too! It's so enjoyable, isn't it?!
    pumpkin oat pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fun day of baking Krista!!!! I like HG recipes, but don't make 'em at all!! I've only done the green tea frapp, which you should TOTALLY try since you and I are both Green tea lovers. :)

    Your dinner also look so tasty it's inspiring me to make something chickpea-ish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so wanted to get some baking in this weekend as well, but it just wasn't in the cards, plus I wasn't really sure what I wanted to bake.

    Hmmm...you could call your dish "Krista's Curry Mess". Or "Krista's Curry Chickpea Concoction". Yeah, I got nothing.

    I'm all about the faux-sandwich thins as well. I get the burger thins made my President's Choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your weekend sounds a lot like mine and I LOVED every minute of it! Great eats and baking! The oats look incredible. How adorable is DS? Dino Eggs? I'm glad he shares your love of oats. Fabulous dinner too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm oreo cake is my favorite!! :-)

    and i'm so excited that the crockpot oats have been successful two times already! i get so much joy out of them, so i'm glad i'm not the only one.

    (p.s. don't know why, but i can only read your blog from work -- it freezes something on my comp at home. i've been trying to get to it all weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. DS is so cute! I am glad he has recovered!

    I have been drinking my green monster but I am not feeling it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so jealous that you have the pampered chef loaf pan!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!