Monday, November 2, 2009

Meal Planning 101

Having children has certainly made life more hectic, but before this year I always found time for meal planning. Now that my son plays on a rep travel hockey team and is on the ice 4-5 times a week, I feel like meals are always rushed and not very well thought out. Meal planning seemed to go out the window pretty quick. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I am an A personality. I live by lists and need at least some basic structure in my life or I do not bode well. It would seem that keeping track of 2 busy kids is not enough structure for me and I’m finding myself feeling a little lost lately. Flying by the seat of my pants so to say. So I’ve decided to commit to planning out meals from Monday to Friday for the month of November to see if that settles my restless mind some. I think it will cuz I’m weird that way! Each Monday in November I’ll post the week’s menu for you all to see. Most of this week’s meals are recipes that I pulled from the new Kraft: What’s Cooking magazine as they’re quick to prepare. So without further ado, here’s this week’s!

Monday – hockey practice (4:30-5:50) & dance (6-6:45)
-homemade turkey soup/grilled cheese sandwiches

Tuesday- Pilate’s (6:15-7:15)
-salad/broccoli & cheddar quiche – Kraft mag pg 53

Wednesday – swimming (7pm)
-Weeknight ravioli bake for fam – Kraft mag pg 52
-Yves veggie sausage/kabocha for me

Thursday – hockey practice (6:30-7:20) & skating (5:30-6:20)
-Saucy Mexican Chicken – Kraft mag pg 56
-green beans
-mac n’ cheese for the fam

Friday – FREE!!!
-Leftovers!

I think this will be doable considering we’re in and out quite a bit. There, I feel better already! :D On to breakfast! 100_6925

-1 cup water
-1/3 cup oat bran
-cinnamon

-raisins
-pumpkin butter
-walnuts 100_6924

I took a ½ hour lunch today so I could leave at 3:30 for a dentist appointment. This cut out my gym time. Damn dentist!! Urgh…..I did go home and snuggle with my fur babies for a bit, though. Great stress reliever.

Lunch was another serving of Moroccan Chickpea Stew; 100_6926

As per above menu, tonight was soup & grilled cheese night! I added some turkey meat that I had in the freezer and star shaped noodles along with baby ravioli. My grilled cheese was done up in an Ezekiel 4:9 English muffin with the last of my goat’s milk mozz, a piece of deli ham and a wee bit of pomegranate jelly; 100_6931 100_6929

Dessert was a piece of Caroline’s Vegan Pumpkin Bread with a smidge of macadamia nut butter spread on. 100_6933

So how dinner works on a night like tonight where schedules clash is that I cook dinner and DD and I eat before she goes to dance. While we’re out the boys come home and pick up where us girls left off. Bingo-bango, everyone’s fed and happy by 7!

Candy confession time! This is what I snagged out of the office candy bowl over the course of the day; 100_6927

And this is what I ate this evening; 100_6932

I have to say that taking pictures of the junk I eat is working like a charm. I really wanted to go back to that candy bowl at work more than I did, but the thought of having to own up to it stopped me in my tracks!! Notice how pretty much all of it is chocolate? ;)

Project Feed Me food item of the week = boxed meals (eg. Hamburger Helper). Go buy some!!

Bye for now!!

12 comments:

  1. great meal planning, hope it makes you feel less hectic! :)
    you really are a candy person! hahahha..... I consider myself more chocolate person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the menu plans! I think it sounds both do-able and delicious!!

    That darn dentist! At least you got cuddle time in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off- I think you have SO much on your plate and you are totally amazing. I think its fabulous that you prepare your kids homemade meals (whether they're rushed or not). You need to give yourself a LOT of credit for all of the awesome things you do!

    Ok...enough ranting ;) The meal plan looks fabulous. I want a grilled cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a SuperMom...seriously! I live by planning and lists so I love to see other people's plans/lists too! It makes me feel normal :) I hope your kids know how lucky they are to have a fab mom like YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great meal plan. I find meal planning really helps me stay sane when things get super hectic.

    And I'm glad that the Candy Confessions are working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you tried the pumpkin bread! Sounds fab with some macadamia butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always plan my meals out Friday, grocery shop Saturday, and then cook Sunday! I am sure planning your meals out will make things a bit easier--they sure sound fabulous! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great planning!!! makes the week so much less stressful!

    that pumpkin bread with macademia nut butter looks INCREDDDDDIBLEE

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT idea with the meal planning! Definitely will reduce your things to think about when you have a bagillion other things to consider!

    mmmm grilled cheeeeeeeese

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a planner too! Your meal plan sounds delish! And I'm the same way...if I'm going to give in and have candy, it's going to be chocolate all the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you come plan my meals too? I've never been a meal planner like that - I'm more about general ideas of what I might eat. Not that it really matters now that I'm back at home mind you.

    Mmmm, Hallowe'en candy. Ours is all gone :(

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!