Monday, April 13, 2009

Are You Up For The Challenge?

First off, it was so nice to be off work today!!! I rolled out of bed around 8am to a bright sunny morning! Awesome! Here's my morning eats;
-1 cup water
-1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain cereal
-cinnamon
-a good cup of homemade applesauce (I used an apple, cinnamon, splash unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze whipped up in the Magic Bullet)
-handful of raisins
So good! Lovely apple flavour and I got a whole fruit into this meal! Bonus!!

I let breakfast digest for about an hour while I got caught up on blog reading then decided to head out for a run. DD tagged along on her bike. It was much cooler than it looked outside so I was a tad uncomfortable for the first few minutes, but warmed up real quick!! As soon as I got home I popped the 30 Day Shred in to finish off level one while I was still loose and limber from running. Here are my stats:

RUN:
Time: 28 minutes
Avg Hr: 167
Max Hr: 182
Calories Burned: 274
Distance: 2.5 miles

SHRED:
Time: 20 minutes
Avg Hr: 143
Max Hr: 170
Calories Burned: 178

I find my runs are always a bit slower if I take one (or both) of the kids with me. That's OK, though. I still got out there!!

I relaxed for about a half hour before getting lunch ready. I was feeling a toasted WW bagel with homemade PB and pear ginger jam with a green monster so that's exactly what I had!!! One of the many reasons I enjoy being home...I can make/eat what I'm craving at that moment instead of having to eat what I brought along.
I did enjoy one small piece of DD's crispy bunny for a sweet end. I love chocolate with rice crispies in it! Definitely a danger food for me!

After lunch I had to make a trip to the store for cat litter of all things. Going back out made me really happy that I got my run in this morning because it had gotten cooler yet and the sun disappeared! Not good!

I spent the afternoon curled up on the couch reading my book. I'm still working on Duma Key and am loving it so far! I'm about 3/4 of the way through the monster. I got hungry around 3 so I made myself a chai tea latte and enjoyed a piece of coconut lime oat bar...

I wasn't too concerned about supper because my hubby is back to working afternoons this week so I knew that I didn't have to prepare a big meal. There was some leftover pasta and roast beef in the fridge so I combined the two, covered the mixture with grated marble cheese and popped it in the oven for 10 minutes.
Dinner for the kids-served! I swear, they'll eat anything with melted cheese on it! :) I warmed up what was left of Good Friday's leftovers for myself as well as preparing some sauteed spinach and kale to bulk it up a bit as there was only a tiny piece of salmon left.
My sweet end was a piece of carrot cake. There's only one slice left and it has my hubby's name written ALL over it! As delish as it is, I'm happy that's it's gone!
Last but not least, you may be wondering what the challenge is that I mentioned in the title of this post. Well, Marianne emailed me earlier this week to see if I would be willing to host this week's BSI Challenge! I've always hoped that it would make it's way to me so of course I accepted!! Before I reveal my ingredient pick, here's a glimpse of past choices;

So, without further ado, the Blogger Secret Ingredient of the week is......LEMON!
I picked this fruit for many different reasons. Here are some of them;
  • they can easily be incorporated into a sweet or savoury dish/drink
  • they have many health benefits (read on for more on that)
  • they're inexpensive
  • they're never really out of season

Here are some interesting health benefits on good ole lemons;

**They are very effective in curing many digestion problems when mixed with hot water, including biliousness, nausea, heartburn, disorders of the lower intestines like constipation

**Water plus a few lemons becomes lemon juice. Lemon juice, when taken regularly in the morning, acts as a tonic to the liver and stimulates it to produce bile making it ready to digest the day's food.

**Lemon juice also relieves symptoms of asthma, tonsillitis and sore throat.

**Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently thus controlling constipation and diarrhea.


Just a few tidbits I found online! Please email me with your recipe (or email me with a link to the recipe) at kristaskravings@gmail.com. I will be accepting entries until midnight, Sunday April 19th and announcing the winner in my post on April 20th in the pm. I'm thinking the prize pack for the winner will include all things lemon (or yellow) in keeping with the theme. So, now it's time to spread the word and go pull all your most favourite lemon recipes to send my way!!! I'm very excited to see what you guys all come up with!!!

Bye for now!!!





18 comments:

  1. Oh, great choice for the BSI!!! Lemons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The site of those juicy, plump raisins in your hot cereal is absolutely MESMERIZING!! Mmm...

    Love the PB/Pear Ginger jam combination on your bagel!!

    HOORAY FOR LEMONS FOR BSI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!! I have a GREAT lemon recipe!!! WOOHOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy carrot cake that looks AMAZING :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great selection! I will have to start thinking up something I can make with lemons!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great choice of BSI! Looking forward to see amazing recipes!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay! I squeeze a lemon in hot water every morning with some apple cider vinegar. Wonderful tonic to get you going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I may need to entire the BSI this week, need to think of something yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for lemons for BSI! I've been missing out on it for so many weeks! i def need to try something with that this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great pick! I love the versatility and ALL of the info you posted sounds great and I never would have known!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the lemon idea!! ahh, i hope i have time this week to think of something.

    and i still want one of your coconut-lime bars.

    and that carrot cake is killing me. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed your day off!! Mmmm cheese!! I'd eat anything with melted cheese on it as well :)

    Oh carrot cake - so good but oh so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i LOVE your choice for the bsi! i'll try to get a recipe in this week :D
    enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this selection!! Now my thinking cap is on! :D

    Great job on Shred too - I am on day 14 (in a row!) and can really feel the difference already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you agreed to host this week's BSI. And lemon is an excellent ingredient - I love me some lemony eats. I'll have to see if I can come up with something though. Hopefully I'll have time!

    And I'll eat pretty much anything if you melt some cheese on it too. Mmmm, cheese.

    I need to make those coconut lime bars.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey, how do I join this BSI challenge thing? It's exactly the sort of challenge group I've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!