Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Wallet is Calling S.O.S!!!

It was a beautiful day in the neighbourhood, ladies and gents! What's a girl to do with all this sunshine...especially when they are called for freezing temps and snow tomorrow? Shop, of course! But first, my snack last night. I really wanted to spread my homemade PB on something and remembered that I still had some chocolate banana cake in the fridge. Chocolate, banana and PB? Hell, yes!

I knew right away that this same flavour combo was going to be appearing again in my breakfast!

When I got up this morning I spent some time on the computer before eating. I realized that on the weekends I was eating as soon as I got up whether or not I was hungry. Through the week I'm up at least one hour before I actually eat and by then I'm ready for some food. I obviously don't need to shower and get made up right away Sat and Sun so I dodn't have that hour to let myself get hungry. That left me feeling quite bloated for most of the day. This new weekend routine has been working well. Goes to show that it pays to listen to your body and not just eat because it's a certain time or routine. Okay, enough of that and on to the food!!
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Quaker oats
-1 tsp cocoa powder
-mashed banana
-1 tbsp PB
-a few peanuts for garnish
SO. GOOD!!! This bowl tasted exactly like I was going for!! Looky at who I caught where he's not suppose to be! This baby is one tough customer to crack in the manners department!
I let my meal settle for a good half hour and then popped in my 30 Day Shred to get (hopefully) buff. I'm still a wee bit sore but nothing compared to yesterday's pain! One thing I really noticed is that I'm a total weakling when it comes to the push ups....and I can only do the girly push ups at that. My hubby found thos quite amusing but I didn't see him down there hammering any out either! *WINK*!! I ate my last 3 dried apricots when I was done just because....
The boys left for hockey and once I was done showering and getting all pretty, DD and I took off to do some errands while the boys were gone. This is where my wallet's pain begins! First we stopped off at Market Fresh to grab another jar of Creamy Coconut Spread for Marianne because her's broke on it's cross country journey. (Don't worry, Marianne! This next one is swathed in lots of bubble wrap!!) At first I thought they were sold out because they weren't in the usual spot, but the manager told me that had moved them to the dessert case. Here comes the bad news! The company has decided not to ship to Canada anymore! BOO!!! I was told that they were going to reduce the remaining stock on Monday so I could have the sale price which was $1.50 off. So, I snapped up 4 jars! 2 plain, 1 with caramel and 1 with strawberry. I have travel plans for the other coconut one and we'll see about the other 2! next up was the fancy grocery store all the way across town where I picked up another bag of carob chips, some other items destined to travel and this package of frozen steel cut oats which I have never seen before!
The stats were pretty decent, too!
DD suckered me into a small bag of Cadbury Easter eggs. These were dark chocolate and we split the contents so what you see is what I ate. Love these guys!
It was pushing 1pm and DD was hungry for lunch so we went home and got there just before the boys. I made myself an egg white sammie on a Pita Break with some deli turkey, a LC cheese wedge and some fig preserves. Divine!
I also ate some fresh fruit on the side and some unpictured carob chips.
After lunch we made our way over to St. Jacob's to do some more shopping. I bought a few really nice things for the house which I will photograph as soon as my hubby hangs them up for me. I also came across a demo for this avocado oil...
The flavour was very light and unassuming and is actually better for you than oil oil. Dude even put a drip on my very dry hand skin and it absorbed right away leaving my hand smooth as silk! You can even add a bit to your shampoo if you feel the urge! Here is some of the info from the pamphlet that came with it. Hope you can all see it OK!

Our last stop before leaving was at the ice cream store for the kids. They make their own chocolate and candy at this place too and I snagged a container of "leftover chocolate pizza toppings" for 2 bucks!
This is most definitely something I should have left in the store but I couldn't stop thinking that it would be a tasty topping for my oats as a treat once in awhile! I hid the container on the top shelf, out of sight as soon as we got back!!!

I was ahead of the game for dinner because I had put a roast in the crock pot this morning so all I had to do was prepare some sides. We had steamed green beans and roasted sweet potatoes which I used my new oil on. They turned out wonderful if I do say so myself! Here's my plate!
No sweet end for me! We are off to my parents and Mom always puts out my favourite chocolate chip cookies. I definitely spent more money than usual today, but I love everything I bought so there's no regrets!!! Ahhh...retail therapy! When we get home I will be watching the Amazing Race and then doing another round of Shred! Have a good night!!

Bye for now!!

22 comments:

  1. Hooray for $hopping!!!

    Your oats = BEYOND stunning.

    Cute cat!! :-D

    Oooh, avocado oil - divine!!

    SWEET POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!

    Enjoy your t.v. time and shredding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chocolate banana bread looks sooooo good! Especially with PB!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day!!!! I love massive shopping trips :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just found your blog and have really enjoyed reading through it and looking at the food pics - it all looks so good! I am a sucker for those cadbury eggs ;) And you've inspired me to try cocoa powder in my oats sometime, that sounds delicious!!

    I'm looking forward to reading more! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh- I bet the homemade PB on the chocolate bread was just amazing!Bummer about the coconut spread :( I still am super excited to finally try it! Can't wait to hear what you think about the avocado oil- I've never heard of such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Krista! THank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement on my last post. You are always eating such balanced (yet sooo delicious looking) meals through the day it's nice to see what i have to shoot for!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there - great to see another Canadian blogger out there! I haven't tried any of PC's blue menu items but am thinking of heading over there to pick some up. The nutri info on the oats look quite good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Presidents Choice products. Delicious eats, and totally love carob chips. Addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a wonderful foodie day! Stop by my site. I have awarded you a new award!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to say, where do I begin?! 1.) That late night snack is perfection! 2.) Glad you've found a morning routine that will work for the weekend - relaxation is always fabulous! 3.) I love that egg/fig combo! 4.) Sometimes you just have to spend more money than usual, treat yourself!! Hope you have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a fun shopping day~~~
    so true that we tend to eat at certain time just because it's the routine and we forget to listen to our body. maybe during weekdays is hard to just follow the flow, but at weekends, it's time to connect to our body and listen to its needs.
    Can i have a jar of the coconut spread before it's sold out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YEAH for retail therapy! Can't wait to see the chocolate in the oats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post made me happy - I love dried apricots and mini cadbury eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My cats are not good in the manners dept. either.

    I wonder how that avocado oil would be on popcorn. It is so $$$ I have never bought it. Let us know how you use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sad to say that my jar broke too in it's journey to Texas! Please do not feel like you have to replace it - I appreciate the gesture of you send the first one! I'm not sure a glass jar was made to make the trek all the way across the country. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. fig and eggs? THAT I've got to try!
    avocado oil! wow! how are you gonna use that?
    that leftver choc pizza topping sounds freaking interesting. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww your kitty is too cute. I want one so bad!

    Avocado oil, that sounds so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your oats! I should start putting cocoa powder in mine! Yum! Thanks for the info on Avocado Oil! I never thought to use that! Cute kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE those Easter Eggs!!!

    Cute kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha...you caved on the dark chocolate mini eggs too? I love those things. They are like crack. Good thing easter is almost over. Or maybe bad, because I'll feel the need to stock up before they are gone!

    And you know you didn't have to send me another jar. I do really appreciated it though, because it smelled fabulous when I opened the envelope. Sucks that they are stopping shipping to Canada!

    And obviously, I love the kitty pictures. And the gratuitous chocolate & peanut butter at the beginning of the post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love dried apricots! Now you've put me in the mood.

    My cat is the WORST at jumping on the counters and other places he knows he's not supposed to be. I even came downstairs one morning to find that he had pried the collection drain from the kitchen sink (his teeth?) and it was on the floor, dragged over to the island!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't been to St. Jacobs in so long!!! I need to go as soon as the weather is nice and do some shopping myself!!

    That oil sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!