Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Little Baking, A Little Fun & A Little Shopping

What a fabulous Sunday I had!!! I made sure to set the alarm for 7:30 before I fell asleep last night so that I would have ample time to shower and get ready for the hockey carnival at 9. Turns out the boys both slept until 9!!! Lazy guys, I tell ya! My hubby told me later that when the alarm went off he felt like it was 3 in the morning! Fortunately, they only need 15 minutes to get ready and eat something so we still made it by 9:30.

Seeing as I opened a can of pumpkin to make last night's dinner, I decided to make use of some more of it in my breakfast this morning. It's been like, forever since I had this orange veg in my morning bowl!!
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5 Grain cereal
-cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice
-1/4 cup pumpkin puree
-2 tsp maple flakes
Scrumptious, I tell ya!!! And it kept me full until lunch time without needing a snack-a-roo!

After I posted last night, and my parents came and went, AND I did my Shred DVD, I was really itching to bake something. Out came the new Hungry Girl cookbook for about the 100th time yesterday where I chose to make a banana bread (seeing as I had all those ripe bananas!).
Of course I can never follow a recipe verbatim, so I'll tell you what I switched up! I ditched the 2/3 cup of Splenda (eww) for a 1/4 cup of agave nectar and I was fresh out of Egg Beaters from my lunch so I used 1/2 cup egg whites instead. And I added a 1/3 cup of carob chips to the mix right at the end. The result was a marvelously moist bread!!
DD detected the carob right away...she doesn't like it and I couldn't trick her. **A little side, she insists on calling them "carrot chips"! :) Anywho, my hubby thought it was good and didn't mention that he noticed any difference with the carob.

The hockey carnival was a lot of fun. They had quite a few inflatable games, tattoos, (velcro) darts, mini hockey nets and sticks and much more. The kids had a blast at this one inflatable game where you wear funny looking helmet's and whack your opponent with a "stick". Here are the 2 of them during their turns (not against each other)...
Then they hit up the tattoo artist. These were no peel and stick'em jobs! He used an airbrush to apply them and I really wanted one, too! Here's what the kids chose;

By the time we left it was lunch time and we decided to hit up Swiss Chalet. This is the kids choice second to Subway. I wasn't starving by any means so I ordered a bowl of their Chalet chicken soup with a bun.
I am guilty of dipping said bun into Chalet sauce!!! We stopped in Walmart on our way home to check for a better pair of running shoes for DS when he plays ball hockey, but we had no success. The guys had had enough so DD and I dropped them off and made our way to the mall. We use to go pretty much every Friday night, but haven't been since my hubby was moved to afternoon shift. We did some window shopping and just before we left I detoured into Pier 1 where I found a cute plate (on sale) and bowl with a little spoon. Who can resist????
Then we treated ourselves to Starbucks! DS had a tall vanilla bean frap and I ordered a tall NF green tea latte. The barista made a mistake, though and I ended up with a grande. No complaints here!
Last stop was a grocery store that is normally out of the way for me but because I forgot to pull something out of the freezer for supper and we were on that side of town, I thought that fish would be a good idea. You all know me well enough by now to know that I can't just walk into a food related store and come out with one thing, right?! Aside from tilapia for din din, I bought these items;
Strawberries (3/$5), cinnamon honey(can't wait to try that!), SF creme brulee pudding cups, Sol veggie burgers and Renee's Pomegranate Blueberry, Acai salad dressing (on sale for $2.99 plus another $0.75 off coupon). Next stop? HOME!!!

I parked my rear in front of the computer for the next hour catching up on all your wonderful posts before getting supper started. Once I did start cooking, though, I made a good one!!! I baked up the tilapia fillets with some seasoning salt and butter for 10 minutes in a 350* oven. While that was cooking I chopped up and steamed some orange cauliflower and whipped up some of the Harvest Grains Blend that I received from Coco.
Although this was a very orange looking meal, it was fabulous!!! Afterward, we went to my parents place for a visit. I did good with the cookies this time! I only had one chocolate chip one and 2 tea biscuits. Back home now and I'll be doing some shredding as soon as I'm done posting this. After that will be the Amazing Race and then beddy-bye!

There's still time to send me your lemon recipe!!! Email it to kristaskravings@gmail.com and I will make sure that it gets entered. Come back tomorrow to see who won and who will be hosting next weeks challenge! :)

Bye for now!!

16 comments:

  1. What a fun day!!! I'm totally putting maple flakes in my oats in the morning and I'm way too excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh, what an awesome time! Totally love it!
    And delicious banana bread! Yum yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I promise you my recipe is still on its way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun day! Now I am craving pumpkin oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loveeee those sol burgers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is the grain blend? It looks tasty :)

    And I don't get the love of Swiss Chalet. It seems to be pretty popular back in ON, but not so much out here. I'm not a fan of the famous Swiss Chalet sauce though, perhaps that has something to do with it?

    Nice banana bread too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so many goodies.... I'm especially interested on that banana bread... it looks scrumptious! :)
    And glad that you're having that blended grains, it's good, isn't it? I love how chewy it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a GREAT day! Dinner looks so good!
    Love the tattoo! hehe! :)

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh- sorry I didn't get a lemon recipe in!! My lemon is sitting in my fridge just dying to be used! I got pulled away making care packages for Josh's brothers for finals week. So so sorry. Sounds like you had a fab day though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah! what a great weekend! everything looks great! and I love the kids tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, the bread!! That looks delicious!! Cinnamon honey?! I'm swooning over that as well!

    FUN cauliflower :) Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Harvest Grains Blend looks super nifty! I am going to try to find that this week! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love how pumpkin oats fill ya up without weighing ya down! I think pumpkin and banana are the best things to ever happen to oatmeal :o)

    The banana bread looks amazing - I love the term "carrot chips," hehe.

    The hockey carnival looks like fun! I'm sorry I wasn't able to contribute to the BSI. I can't wait to see all of the fabulous recipes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awwww what fun!! he's so cute :) :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!