Monday, August 17, 2009

Heat and Hockey

Today was gloriously HOT out…. 39*C (not sure what that is in F) and just the kind of weather I wait for each year. So it felt a little odd taking DS to hockey camp this morning! Before we left I made a bowl of oat bran; 100_5761

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup oat bran
  • cinnamon
  • almond butter
  • raspberries

100_5760

A purdy little feast!!

I had to have the boy dropped off for 8:30am so I went into work for 9. That seems so late after starting at 8 all summer! Before I knew it, it was almost gym time so I broke into a Peanut Butter cookie Luna bar that I picked up at TJ’s. 100_5762

I don’t normally buy Luna bars because I’m not a fan, but I couldn’t resist a few flavours that I haven’t tried before. This one was actually pretty good! It kinda reminded me of a PB flavoured rice crispy square.

I’ve got a few sore spots from weeding yesterday so I set the treadmill to 6mph and ran a leisurely few miles. It actually felt really good to stretch everything out without using too much exertion!

  • Time: 45 minutes
  • Avg Hr: 162
  • Max HR": 175
  • Calories Burned: 444
  • Distance: 4.5 miles

I was good and hungry by the time I settled back at my desk so I dove into my lunch. First up was the last of the beer butt chicken, the last of the raw marinara sauce and 6 chopped up black olives. I guess you could call this a salad of sorts; 100_5765

Mmmm….all kinds of tasty! Then I ate the last candy cane beet from the market. 100_5764

I’ll be visiting this vendor again on Saturday. These were some of the best beets I’ve ever had.

After work I went back to the rink to pick my boy up. I was hoping he’d be beat out, but not so much! He was so hyper!! You’d of thought that 3hrs of ice time as well as other activities would tucker him out. Ah, to be young again!

I used the “too hot to cook” excuse and stopped by the grocery store for buns and sandwich fixings for a cool, easy supper. My multi grain bun sported a slice of deli ham, mortadella, swiss cheese, mayo, chipotle mustard and lettuce. On the side was cherry tomatoes, honeydew and cantaloupe; 100_5766

Awesome summer meal! And the perfect ending was a bowl of froyo;100_5768

I’ve spent most of the evening on the deck with my book which I will be returning to after finishing up here. Then I have lunches to make for tomorrow for me and DS. I’m looking forward to tomorrow because my bestie is down from Windsor armed with her bootcamp notes so she’ll be hitting the gym with my after work! YAY! Enjoy the rest of your night!

Bye for now!!

11 comments:

  1. Gotta love an easy dinner night! Still looks healthy and yummy chica! I've never heard of a candy cane beet but they look really pretty. Have fun with the boot camp tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those raspberries are beautiful! I bought a box last week but they got moldy because I forgot about them. :( Oh, well. The frozen yogurt looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find some of that fro yo. Those oats are beautiful :) I bet they tasted amazing! Good luck with boot camp.. that sounds very scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad that it's heating up for you there!!! that's great to hear!

    and that fro yo...amazing! have some today too; hungry girl says it's national fro yo day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hockey stuff already?! Oh no, that means cold season is slowly(or fast)approaching! But glad you got some hot weather there lately--enjoy every last bit of it!

    I am not a huge fan of Luna bars either, some kinda chemical taste or something about them, but I do like the Caramel Brownie, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wooooo...39 is really a hot day. love your breakfast combo, so simple, so pretty and so yummy. It mad me miss a little bit of oats,
    have a nice Tuesday Krista.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you guys dodged those storms last night! There was a HUGE cell that swept through part of Detroit and knocked some trees down!

    I wish I had the energy of a kid again! They just keep GOING AND GOING and then they crash. Me? I'm tired in the afternoon and then can't sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been super hot here too! Your chicken and marinara combo looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krista, I love your blog and am a longtime reader. It's not weird that I think the bowl 'o oat bran is the best looking thing there, right? ;) Anyway, I'm an MPH student and I just finally started my own blog about all things public health. Please visit if you have a moment: http://masteringpublichealth.wordpress.com
    Updates will be regular! Look forward to reading more of your usual best soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog, your food looks yummy! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You desire 39 C weather?! I can't stand it when it's 30 degrees, let alone 39! Give me 20, and I'm a happy camper. Maybe 25 or so with a breeze. I would have loved to be in the rink all day like your son. HA!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!