Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Super Fruit

I started out hump day with a different, but yummy breakfast. I decided that since I have an abundance of luscious yogurt in my fridge, I would put it to use. I topped a container of Oikos with some strawberry banana jam and then opened up my bag of blueberry muesli to stir in; 100_5655

I picked the oikos simply because it was the container with the closest expiry date. I’ve got all the tubs sorted in my fridge that way so none spoils on me. What a shame that would be! 100_5654

I stirred some fresh blueberries in post photo….I almost forgot them all together!!! This is the TJ’s blueberry muesli that I used; 100_5653

I threw back a handful to taste plain and wasn’t too thrilled with it. I was a little concerned at this point that it was going to be a dud. But once it was all stirred into the yogurt/jam mixture? Stellar! What a transformation! Nom, nom!!

Work was busy again which made the day move along nicely. I munched on half of this 9 Bar mid morning; 100_5657

This was good, good, good! I was right impressed how jam packed it was with nuts and seeds! Check it out; 100_5658

And you all know the way to my heart is through chocolate!!! 100_5660

The gym was da bomb today! I enjoyed a hot, sweaty 30 minutes on the elliptical and then did a repeat of something we did at bootcamp Saturday; 10 box jumps (I used 5 risers on the step), then 10 crunches. Then you count down….9 box jumps, 9 crunches and so on and so forth till you’re done. We did 15 reps on Sat but I had to cut back for time sake. I also did 20 reverse crunches and 50 bicycles crunches along with some good stretching.

  • Time: 50 minutes
  • Avg Hr: 154
  • Max Hr: 175
  • Calories Burned: 401

Lunch was something I decided to try after reading Gena’s guest post on Katie’s blog last week. Raw zucchini with raw Marinara sauce. 100_5663

I used a potato peeler on a zucchini from my garden as I do not own a spiralizer. As for the sauce, the only thing I switched up were the herbs. I used what I had in hand….chives, parsley and dill. Fabulous. I reminded me of a fresh tasting salsa. I plopped some feta pieces on top for a little saltiness….mmmm…. 100_5662

And, yes, I am one of those people that mixes as soon as the picture has been taken! 100_5664

I really enjoyed this meal. It was a cinch to prepare and held up well in the fridge overnight. Give it a try, you’ll like it too!! :) I ate the other half of the 9 bar about an hour later. Just before heading home I enjoyed some strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. 100_5665

I had a great package waiting for me when I got home. A bit of background first. When we went to Buffalo a few weeks ago I spotted the Crofter’s Superfruit jams at Wegman’s. I scooped a jar up and when I got home I realized the the company is only a few hours down the road from me!!! I contacted them to let them know my little story and to see if they would be willing to send me samples and they readily agreed! So, I present you will all 4 flavours of the super fruit line! 100_5666
I had bought the South America jam in the States and let me tell you, it is fabulous!!! I’ve put it in yogurt, on Wasa crackers and on pancakes and it has worked well on all of it. I can’t wait to try the others! Stay tuned to see what I think!

Dinner was pork tenderloin & polenta rounds grilled on the BBQ… 100_5669

That red stuff on the side is pomegranate chutney for the pork. I ended up adding some of the leftover sauce from lunch on the polenta afterwards. What a great pop of flavour! I had also set out a big bowl of watermelon and crispy red grapes; 100_5667

I find if I put fruit on the table, the kids gobble it up. There wasn’t a whole lot of this left when the table cleared! I had 2 slices of melon and a bunch of grapes plus some unpictured chocolate covered edamame for dessert. My belly was feeling the fruit expansion so DD and I stole K.C. for a walk down to the store so I could pick up the new Clean Eating magazine.

I’m watching SYTYCD Canada as I type this up. It’s on until 10 so that is what I’ll be watching until nana time. Have a great evening!

Bye for now!!

13 comments:

  1. Oh I am definitely an after-picture mixer too!

    Your posts are so much fun, Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blueberry muesli sounds freaking awesome. I love Tjs- they make the best products. That bar looks pretty yummy too. Love big ole bowls of fruit for dessert! I just polished off a half a cantaloupe...mmmm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've officially convinced me to try a raw meal! Feta will definitely be on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm that muesli looks AMAZING.
    what flavours are those jams? they look awesome.
    -muffy

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg.... love so many food that you had yesterday!! The breakkie combo, the bar, your dinner and even that plate of fruits!!! I guess I'm super hungry now!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I organize my Greek yogurt the same way - by expiration date! Can't let one of those precious tubs go to waste ;)

    Oh my gosh! That bar looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to grill polenta in honor of summer, but haven't gotten around to it yet! Now I want it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those jams...I have the Europe one it is so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Krista!! I am so, so happy you tried it and it turned out well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your raw meal looks delish! I'm going to look for that Superfruit jam at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not have grapes in forever--I should get some :-)

    btw, love that fish bowl!! hehe! I am a bowlaholic

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boy did you make out on the jam there :) Nice!

    I have still not tried polenta. I don't know what's taking me so long to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!