Saturday, May 2, 2009

Halvah...A Treat Indeed!

Hi! How's every one's weekend going? So far mine is going fast!!! Isn't that the way? I got up this morning and felt like something cold for breakfast. Odd for me, but I went with it! I made a huge bowl of cereal...
-1 cup puffed wheat
-1 cup puffed millet
-1/3 cup 3 Sisters Honey Oaties
-diced strawberries
-1 cup unsweetened almond breeze
This bowl hit the spot! Not to mention that it was HUGE!!!

After a bit of house clean up, a shower and putting my face on, we were off to the rink for ball hockey pictures at 11am. The game followed at noon but there was some time in between so DD and I went and did a little shopping at the "fancy"grocery store. Also known as the one that stocks everything but is clear across town from me! I picked up some more carob chips and Camino dark hot chocolate and some different store made breads that were reduced at 50% off. I also found some turkey pepperoni and raspberries that were on sale! I've had a nagging cough and sore chest for the past few days so before we left I bought myself a large organic mint green tea to try to soothe the irritation.
Worked like a charm. There's just something about a hot drink when you're not feeling up to par.

Lunch was a little later seeing as we didn't get home until 1:30. I made myself a toasted WW bagel with a LC wedge, slice of deli turkey and egg whites. On the side I had a sliced yellow tomato and the green beans leftover form dinner the other night.
I was full when this was all gone but not full enough to try a piece or Mara's Halvah that she sent me!
I've never, ever had this before so just decided to go for it and cut a hunk off. SO GOOD! It starts off a bit crumbly, but quickly turns creamy once in your mouth. The sesame taste is subtle and smooth. As I was eating it I was thinking that it would be great over some oats. Must put on the "to try" list!
The weather was up and down all day today and DD went to visit a friend for the afternoon. The boys were watching hockey so I decided to go for a LONG overdue pedicure. The place I go to gives you a nice foot massage while they're at it. Here's my toes!
This was just what I needed to put a smile on my face!

Once home I got started on dinner. I made pasta with meat sauce for the fam and I had a vegetarian version with Shiritaki noodles.
For my sauce, sauteed some mushrooms and carrots in broth with oregano, basil, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper. When that was all cooked down I added some spinach and maybe a 1/3 of a cup of tomato sauce. Then the noodles went in to get themselves all coated!
I wasn't able to finish all of it! There's maybe a half cup left. In the old days I would've just eaten it, regardless of my hunger level. Now, I know to listen to my body better! After cleaning up and found a wee bit of room for another small chunk of Havlah. Then I hid the rest on myself!

My parents have come and gone and I'm in the process of showering the kids. I've got a few magazine's to catch up on tonight and there may be a movie later as well. Hope you're all having a great Saturday!!

Bye for now!!

11 comments:

  1. A good pedicure is always a nice, needed treat! Those Halvah bars look yummy, like a healthy dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been just thinking about having cereal for breakfast! :) love those puff kamuts!!
    Love your pinky toes! :) summer color!!!
    dinner looks yummy~~~ but it's good that you eat until you feel satisfied.
    have a nice evening and sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, everything looks delicious! And love love love having cereal - it is like CRACK to me!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your toes look beautiful! I love having brightly colored toes! It always puts me in a good mood :) A yellow tomato? I have never had one- I'm sure I'd love it. I love all tomatoes. Glad the tea made you feel better! Have a nice movie night

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im long overdue for a pedicure too! Those yellow tomatoes are so pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous tootsies! I love the color you picked out.

    Totally hear ya about the hot beverage when not feeling up to par.

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dinner plate looks amazing. I've been trying the don't-eat-if-not-hungry thing on myself this past week too...and I feel so virtuous about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. never seen havlah! cute toes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of havlah! It sounds interesting!!

    Love the new paint job! Perfect for summer :)

    Hope the rest of your weekend goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! I saw that 3 Sisters cereal at the store, but I ended up buying the Honey Os and the Graham Crackerz. We should compare notes on which variety is best;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually saw some halvah at the market I biked out to today, and was wondering what exactly it was. It looked like fudge almost. Perhaps I will pick some up one day.

    And I'm jealous of your pedicure. I've always wanted to get one done, but can't bring myself to book one. I don't think they would be too impressed with my horrendous skating feet.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!