Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mission Accomplished!

I got my veggie garden planted!!! Hurray! This will be a sort post because although I got a ton done today, there wasn't much variety to it! I started the day of with a spectacular bowl of oats. I'm sure you knew it was coming so it's probably not a surprise that I added stewed rhubarb to my bowl today! :)
-1 cup water
-1/3 cup Quaker oats
-cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt
-1/4 cup stewed rhubarb
-agave & cinnamon sprinkles
I loved the tartness that the rhubarb added to this! I can't wait to use it in my breakfast again!

There were special guests out for a visit at the farm today! My hubby's great Aunt and Uncle are visiting from Holland and are staying with an Uncle who lives about 3 hours away. They were passing through the area to go see some other family and stopped in for lunch. It was awesome to meet them! My MIL put out a spread of egg salad and salmon sandwiches, homemade banana bread and cookies. I forgot my camera at home so I have no lunch photos, but I enjoyed 1/2 of a salmon sandwich and a 1/4 of an egg salad one along with a slice of banana bread and 3 cookies. Num, num!

In lieu of lunch photos, I'll post some flower/veggie planting progress pictures. Here is my chocolate mint...
And some petunias. There are 3 other pots in different areas of the deck....
And I know this will be hard to see, but here's my vegetable garden;
I'll take more photos of this in a few weeks so you can see how the plants are progressing. I also took home 5 clusters of hostas from the farm today and got them planted down beside the shed. I was one hot, sweaty chicky-poo by the time I was done! One thing I LOVE about this time of year in regards to eating is that I don't snack near as much throughout the day. I didn't have any snacks, morning or afternoon, yesterday or today.

We whipped up some burgers and salad for dinner because we were pretty beat out from digging and just wanted something simple to eat. I enjoyed a SOL burger on and English muffin with mayo, ketchup, mustard, spicy curry tapenade, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and a LC wedge. There was also a smallish salad on the side.
Dessert was a pecan tart that my hubby picked up at Knapp's Country Market on the way home from the farm..
How delish does that look???? I also drank a green tea latte with my meal.
This is 1/2 cup each water and unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, 1 tsp of matcha powder, vanilla extract and ice cubes. I gave it a whirl in the Magic Bullet until smooth.

DD is at a birthday party until 6:45 and it's 6:10 right now so I must boogie out the door to pick her up. They're at the movies watching "Night at the Museum: Part 2". Oh, the days!!! Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

Bye for now!!

8 comments:

  1. Today was THE day to garden wasn't it? We were doing yard work here all afternoon!

    Rhubarb in oats is BRILLIANT. I am now completely excited that we have rhubarb growing in our yard. I can't wait to try adding it to oats!

    And that green tea latte sounds GREAT. I need to get some matcha powder one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crust on that tart looks amazing! Lunch sounds like it was fun!

    I hope your garden does well!! Home grown veggies just taste so much better in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a feeling the rhubarb may be pairing up with oats sometime in the future! I am so going to try this when my oat mood strikes =) My fam planted our garden today too--hope you have great success with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhubarb in oats? wooo... is that supposed to be a veggie? Veggies in breakfast idea is getting popular lately in the blog world! love it!
    Looking forward to see how your garden progress!
    have a good evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those oats sound great! I love your veggie garden, that's so cool Keep us updated on how it does! I've always wanted to have a veggie garden. We've had a few strawberry and tomato plants here and there, but nothing major.

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate mint? Hum, I have never heard of such a thing. Google time. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious bowl of oats!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow yummy burger, I'm drooling right now.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!