Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the mamas out there! Hope you had a fantastic day! And to all who aren't Mom's, I hope you enjoyed some time with your Mom! My day started off with breakfast in bed made by my kids. DD showed me the recipe that she wanted to make last night and I was OK with it because it was done in the microwave. She made me the Berries and Cream Oatmeal Pudding from the new Hungry Girl cookbook. It's not a new recipe so I was able to share the link!! DS was in charge of my tea.
I even got a magazine to leaf through! I know that the oats don't look very appealing, but they were AWESOME! They turned that colour because the only berries we have in the house are frozen blueberries. I also got my gifts while eating. DS gave me the cutest little plant and DD made me a personalized tile.
LOVE them! Kid made gifts are always the bestest! :)

After breakfast we made our way to the farm. The weather was definitely on the cool side, but we forged ahead with our plans anyways. What were our plans? We went fiddle head picking back in the forest!! We do this one a year at this time and I love it! At one point I was ankle deep in water pulling fiddle heads up from beneath the water line! Here are a few shots I managed to get before my hands were too dirty...

Can't get any fresher than that, can you?! I came home with 2 bags full. Once I get them cleaned up I plan on steaming them, portioning them out and then freezing them for later use. I'll leave a few out for tomorrow's dinner. Here are a few other nature picture's from back in the woods;

Jack in the Pulpit:

Trillium:
Not sure what these are called, but they were pretty!
On the way home we stopped at Knapp's Country Market where I purchased some pineapple jam.
I was looking for their pineapple coconut jam, but they were out. Shucks!

When we got home I made a green monster with spinach, strawberries, mango, flax seeds and unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze. I paired it up with a toasted English muffin that was spread with some homemade PB and pineapple jam, of course!!
Delish!

I didn't do anything for the afternoon. Some book reading, mainly. I also took a trip up to the Bulk Barn for kamut flaked but they didn't have any!! Humpf! I did find a few goodies, though! Check these out....Stash chocolate mint tea and mango coconut tea!
HOLY YUM! I'm sipping the coconut mango right now and it is to die for. Mmmmm....I also picked up these kamut bread sticks which look very interesting.
I'll review them once I give them a shot!

We had dindin at my parents place tonight to commemorate Mother's Day and my brother's b-day. I started off with some garden salad and bean salad....
Then I had a small sausage, roasted red peppers, potato salad, half a burger that's hiding under a pickle & mustard and some green beans...
Dessert was my Mom's wicked drumstick cheesecake...
The beauty is a frozen treat that we always get on my bro's birthday. My Mom wants you all to know that she is to blame for my piece being cut in 2!! :)

Now I have to boogie on out of here because the finale of The Amazing Race is about to start and I don't want to miss one second of it!! I hope everyone has enjoyed their day/weekend and I'll see you on the flip side!

Bye for now!!

15 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! Very sweet gifts you received. I need to get that Hungry Girl cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drumstick cheesecake?! HOLY COW! That sounds awesome!

    Aw, how sweet of your kids to give you breakfast in bed! Happy Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DRUMSTICK CHEESECAKE!!! Sorry for yelling, but that sounds amazing! Would your Mom be able to share the recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god your kids are ADORABLE :) thats seriously so cute :) I have GOT to find that Stash tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good mother's day! I am going to have to try that pudding, I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWWh, what an awesome Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww what cute kid gifts hehe

    I went to Bulk Barn today. I'm pretty sure it's one of my favourite food stores. Chock full of good stuff.

    Drumstick cheesecake? You've got to be kidding. Must... have... mmm.

    Glad you had an awesome Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy mothers day!! i looked at fiddleheads in the store this weekend, but didn't know what i'd do with them and decided to pass.. what do they taste like??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh! I love Stash teas, although I have never tried either of those flavors. The combination of mango and coconut sounds so enticing though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awwwwwwwwwwww! So glad you had such a nice day! Adorable that they made you breakfast in bed. The fiddle head picking sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you enjoyed your show- have a good Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had an awesome Mother's Day! =) You're blessed to have such great kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Mothers Day (from yesterday) Krista!!

    Awesome Stash tea! Chocolate mint I think would be my fav out of the two.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tea sounds amazing, especially chocolate mint!

    ReplyDelete
  14. DD is so sweet to make you breakkie and that lovely note! :)
    I bet you had a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated Mother's Day! Looks like you had a good one.

    I am jealous of that Coconut Mango tea! I've never seen that kind around here. Boo-urns!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!