Saturday, May 23, 2009

Productive Saturday

Happy Saturday, everyone! Today turned out to be much busier than I expected. It's all good, though!! I set my alarm last night to get up earlier than I normally would on the weekend because I wanted to hit up the market. I prepped breakfast last night in anticipation on this...
-1/2 cup water
-1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
-1/3 cup steel cut oats
-cinnamon, vanilla, salt
-2 Tbsp dried currants
-banana
-almond slivers
The banana and almonds were added to the brew this morning. I just heated everything up in the microwave for about 3 minutes total. Perfection!

I was super psyched to find local strawberries at the market! When I asked where they were grown to be ready so early, the farmer told me that they're from the Niagara region and that in the fall they put thermal "blankets" over the crops so that they produce berries early in the season. I ended up coming home with 2 pints. I also bought a chocolate mint plant! I've been wanting one of these since I've seen them start to pop up on blogs. The plant smells fantastic! The rest of the haul included some gorgeous tomatoes and 6 vegan cookies in caramel chip, chocolate chip shortbread, ginger, cherry pistachio, mud puddle and "mountain man". These cookies are a HUGE hit at Chez Du Krista! Here's what it all looks like!
I showered when we got back and got some laundry going before it was time to head out to DS's 12pm ball hockey game. I took the mountain man cookie to eat on the drive over. I wasn't hungry, but I could not wait any longer to try it out!! Here's a cross section shot of it...
It was chalk full of toasted coconut, raisins and different seeds. Definitely my new favourite of this vegan baker!!

DS was asking for Subway after hockey so that is where we ended up for lunch. I enjoyed a 6"veggie on WW with Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, cucumbers, black olives and sweet onion sauce.
Rock on! When we got home I munched on this Glenny's PB brownie...
DD and I dropped the boys off and went straight to the nursery to buy my flowers and veggie plants. For the garden I bought Roma tomatoes, yellow cherry tomatoes, zucchini, butternut squash, lettuce and red bell peppers. That will all be planted tomorrow. I did get all the pots planted as well as the chocolate mint. My deck and front flower beds look so pretty now! I'll take some pictures for tomorrow's post to show you all!

This particular nursery also has some animals there. Today there were 3 little chicks out and they were too cute!
DD bent down to pet one and it climbed into her hand! She loved that! It was all I could so to pry her away so we could get home!
I had also bought some fresh local organic pork chops at the market for dinner. I am not a fan of grocery store pork chops. They always seen to be tasteless. These, however, were juicy and succulent. I split my chop with DD as they were pretty big and then filled the rest of my plate with WW couscous, fresh tomato slices and yes, you will see a hotdog there, too! I love me a BBQ'd dog! There's also a dollop of hickory BBQ sauce for dipping....
My sweet end was a bowl of sliced strawberries with a scoop of Cool Whip Free.
Before I sign off for the evening, I did prep and clean all my rhubarb last night and used some of it to make some stewed rhubarb. The method is very simple and you can certainly adjust the measurements to your needs. I like mine still a little tart, so you might want to add more sweetener of your choice.

Stewed Rhubarb

-10 cups sliced rhubarb
-3/4 of a cup of agave nectar
-1 tbsp of cinnamon
*mix all ingredients until well combined in a big bowl
*microwave at 5 minute increments, stirring after each cycle (mine took 10 minutes total)
*once soft enough, mash it up until you get the consistency you like
*allow to cool as it will thicken as it does
Before bed I enjoyed a 1/2 cup of warm rhubarb with a neon scoop of Cool Whip Free.
YUM! Stay tuned for Rhubarb: Part 2!!!

Bye for now!!

13 comments:

  1. What a great day :) I love starting off at least 1 weekend day a little early and getting extra fun things done. Those cookies look awesome and subway is always a hit! Enjoy the night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you were really busy! Productive Saturdays are great :) That stewed rhubard looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of stewed rhubarb!! Another great way to use up my stash--thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little baby chicks are so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, that's alot like how i enjoy my rhubarb :) add some strawberries and fold in some greek yogurt, it's quite the power snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm cookies! And I really need to try some rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those strawberries look amazing and I can't wait to try making the stewed rhubarbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so interesting those Rhubarbs, a new product for me! :)
    great market purchases, those strawberries look so juicy and sweet!
    and cute chicks, I had one when I was a kid and it was so fun to play with it!
    have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oo that mountain man cookie looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cookie looks AWESEOM! And it's vegan?! Score! That chocolate mint plant sounds cool! Cute baby animals! I wouldn't have wanted to leave either :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those little chicks are too cute! They make me feel guilty for eating their species :-(

    Your stewed rhubarb looks delicious. Rhubarb is such a healthy fruit - but I tend to stay away from it because I can only made it taste good when I add far too much sugar! I must try your version with the agave. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy rhubarb recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww, baby chicks! I love them, they are so cute :D

    My mom picked up a chocolate mint plant this year, as she decided to start an herb garden. I haven't actually smelled it yet though - perhaps next time I'm home.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!