Saturday, July 11, 2009

And We Walked

I was up earlier than my alarm was set for because I was so excited for our walk. I was also excited to give those rye flakes that I bought yesterday a whirl. I was not disappointed! 100_4970

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup POM wonderful w/ blueberries
  • 1/2 cup rye flakes
  • goji berries
  • shaved coconut and carob chips 100_4969

OMG…this bowl rocked my socks off! What a GREAT tasting breakfast!

As I was eating I could see that some very ominous clouds were rolling in. Sure enough, by the time we left it had started to rain. When we arrived we registered, picked up our t-shirts, snapped a family photo all before Mother Nature unleashed her fury. Here we are!

100_4971

DS was less than thrilled about being out in a storm. Check the attitude out; 100_4972

Boy did it RAIN! Actually, that’s too mild a word….it TEEMED! They actually had to delay the walk because there was so much thunder and lightening. When I checked the weather later on I realized that our region had been under a severe thunderstorm watch! Luckily, we nabbed a spot under the covered bridge and managed to stay somewhat dry. I took some pictures of the storm while we were waiting; 100_4974

100_4973

Finally the rain stopped and we were on our way. I was a little worried that it would be really muggy, but it was on the cool side which was perfect for our intent. The sun even came out at the half point mark! They always put on a great lunch for the participants and this year was no exception. They served roast beef sammies with sautéed onions, chickpea & pasta salad and assorted fresh fruit. I grabbed a sandwich, some chickpea salad, watermelon and apple…100_4975

At least half of the beef that you see here made it’s way to my hubby’s plate. Too much for moi! We stuck around for a bit so the kids could watch the entertainer they had for the little ones, but were still home by noon.

Before I forget, I put my chia seeds to good use last night. I mixed 2 tbsp of the seeds with a half cup of pure pressed, thick mango juice and let it sit for about a half hour. When it was all thick I added a dollop of Cool Whip Free and went to town! 100_4963

Sorry for the crap photo. I didn’t realize how dark it was until I uploaded it to the computer! Post picture, the cool whip got mixed in and I enjoyed a lovely snack!! We also took some picture’s of or killer cat, Pepper, in action. Check out the ferociousness! 100_4964

100_4967

Here he is with his Polly pocket jacket that he covets like nobody’s business!

100_4794

What a beast! :)

DS had a b-day party all afternoon so the rest of us enjoyed some down time while he was gone. That brings us up to dinner plans! We’re meeting 2 of my childhood friends along with their hubby’s and kids for dinner. The gals both live out of town now so it’s difficult to get together by we try to as much as possible. All of us have 2 kids….a girl and boy each. We laugh how the 3 of us morphed into 12! Dinner’s a little later than I’m use to so I snacked on a 1/2 cup of strained NF yogurt with blueberries, strawberries banana jam and some Dorset cereal. 100_4977

This will tie me over nicely. I’ll leave you here now and continue today’s story in tomorrow’s post!!

Bye for now!

8 comments:

  1. Ahh, bummer about the rain :-( But kudos for walking!!! Great cause!!


    Aww Pepper, haha :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shaved coconut looks amazing in your oats :) I'm sorry about all of that rain! It's been doing that on and off these past few days here too :( Mr. Sunshine needs to come out and play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never stop inspiring me with your oats! Today's look AMAZING! It rained (you're right, that's putting it mildly...torrentially downpoured) on and off all day here too...we did see a rainbow this evening though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate rain when i go out, such a bummer!!!
    that chia seed dessert looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a nice looking fam!! But that rain looked torrential--eek! At least it turned out ok and you got that great food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. did you use the pom wonderful as a milk like thingy for your cereal??? or is that more of an oatmeal type of thing with the rye flakes? im intrigued.
    -muffy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way the large, shaved coconut flakes look - so pretty :)

    Pepper does look kinda ferocious, especially with that toy in his mouth. I think it's hilarious when cats carry around their toys. Sienna will carry one of my old skate laces all over the house - usually onto my bed while I'm sleeping. HA!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!