Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sun, Glorious Sun

Ahhhh…finally some sunshine today! Put me in a fantastic mood, I’m telling ya. My awesome breakfast had a hand in that, too. Check it out…

100_4816

  • 1/2 cup water and USAB
  • 1/3 cup oat bran
  • banana
  • cinnamon, vanilla
  • 1 tbsp carob powder
  • pecan pieces
  • sprinkle of dorset cereal

100_4815

I bought some carob powder at the Bulk Barn last week and is it ever amazing! I whisked it into the liquid before adding the oat bran and it turned out fabulous. It’s also much cheaper than buying carob chips. I can’t wait to use this in more creations.

We took advantage of the warmer temps by taking a family trip out to the St. Jacobs market. It was mad busy, but I got some GREAT stuff! The first picture is a mix of fresh nectarines and plums that I got for $5.00;

100_4819

Next up is 2 pints of local strawberries ($7.00), green and yellow zucchini ($2.00) and 2 of the biggest carrots I have ever seen in my whole life ($2.00)…

100_4818

This picture does not do these carrots justice. Even my Dad was amazed and he’s been growing vegetables for over 40 years!

I couldn’t pass up something sweet so when I came across a lady selling biscotti who was more than generous with her samples, I knew I wanted to buy from her. I got a bag of her Hazelnut Espresso Biscotti Bites…

100_4817

They melted a wee bit on the drive home…oops! Nothing that changed the deliciousness of these chocolate coated cookie pieces!

It was lunch by the time we got home so I made good use of the salmon and veggies that I didn’t finish at dinner last night. I plopped both into a wrap with a slice of pepper jack cheese and grilled it up in a dry pan until toasty and melty On the side I chopped up a plum and added a few strawberries;

100_4820

DS and my hubby went to my parents for the afternoon to help Dad out with siding his shed so I took advantage of the quiet (DD is my mellow kid!) and finished up the rest of the weeding in the back and front yards. Then I cleaned up and we scooted over to Wal-Mart for a few necessities.

Before I knew it, dinner time had arrived. My hubby had picked up some sirloin steaks at the market for the BBQ and after reading Ruth’s last few posts, I decided to break out my mandolin so I could get some uniform slices of one of the huge carrots and 3 of the zucchini to add to the grill. I also polished off the rest of the sweet potato and some onions from Wednesday night.

100_4854

I know that’s a tiny piece of steak, but I’m not a huge red meat fan and this was plenty for me. I actually didn’t even like ANY red meat until I got preggers with DS. As a kid my Mom would automatically make me hotdogs for dinner if they were having red meat. I just would not touch it! I even hated serving it when I worked as a waitress! Funny how taste buds can change.

My sweet end was a cherry pistachio cookie of which I will spare you the picture today. I do urge you to click HERE for the recipe and make them for yourself because they are pretty stellar if I do say so myself.

My parents came by for a visit after dinner and when they left I whipped up my last Amazing Grass sample, a chocolate one.

100_4855

I blended this with unsweetened almond breeze, water and spinach. Delish!

100_4856

I’m going to order a few more of the samples because it’s pretty cheap and I get a bit of both that way. It’s pushing 9pm here and I’m hoping all my American friends are enjoying a most fantastic 4th of July!!! Good night, all!

Bye for now!!

10 comments:

  1. Yes!! The sun finally came out here too; and hooray for carob powder :-) Good stuff!!

    Enjoy your Saturday evening, dear Krista!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...oats look gooood! Banana and chocolatey from the carob, and with pecans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, carob powder? I didn't even know it came in powder form - sounds delish!

    Love the goodies you scored from the market. Those definitely are two huge carrots :o)

    I need to check out those cherry pistachio cookies. No picture combined with my need to catch up on your wonderful blog has me chomping at the bit! Off to check out the link now!

    I hope you have a wonderful evening, Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, great eats and market purchases! Wow, those carrots are insanely HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those ARE some big honkin' carrots--I hope you enjoy them to the fullest:)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sunshine breakfast looks good! :)
    those fresh produces are sooooooo pretty! I need to get some soon!
    enjoy your sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum to carob powder and YEAH for sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I just started reading your blog. I love fresh produce, and all of that looks amaaazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The market findings are soo amazing! You know I love a great green market. The grilled veggies look to die for. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you scored those local strawberries. Ours seem to be gone from the stores already!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!