Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Garden’s First

Hi everybody! Guess what? The SUN came out today! Hello, stranger. I had a few sad looking strawberries to use up so my breakfast is pretty much the same as yesterday. 100_4922

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup PC 5 grain oats
  • 1 tbsp of ground walnuts
  • cinnamon, salt
  • strawberries & blueberries
  • hemp seeds
  • cinnamon honey 100_4921

Tasty business, I tell ya!

A little something on a more “serious” note here. I don’t say much about this on the blog, but I am a long time, and by that I mean 25yrs, IBS sufferer. I was actually diagnosed at age 8 with what was then called a “spastic colon”. Sounds nice, eh? Over the years I’ve learned which foods to either eat sparingly or avoid all together. About a month ago I read a post on Leah’s blog about how she had tried taking probiotics and that they helped her immensely. I decided to give them a shot to help with some lingering symptoms and I am amazed at the speed with which I felt better. I’ve just been using Shopper’s Drug Mart’s store brand and they’re doing a great job. 100_4751

I’m not saying that this is the ticket for everyone, but I’m sold on them! To learn more about them, check out the link to Leah’s post above!

Before I hit the gym today I enjoyed a mitt full of sweet cherries; 100_4923

They’re basking in the sunshine!

I had a fantabulous run today. I haven’t felt that strong on a run in a while now. I just seemed to find my comfortable groove today.

  • Time: 50 minutes
  • Avg Hr: 160
  • Max Hr: 177
  • Calories Burned: 482
  • Distance: 5 miles

I’ve thought about not putting my gym stats on the blog anymore, but I do use them as reference for myself sometimes so I decided to leave them here. Pre blogging I use to keep a notebook to track these things if you can believe it! I’m such a type A personality…

Lunch was the last of the chicken and broccoli from Monday night and more spinach lemon couscous, too, although there’s still more of that in the fridge. 100_4928

I had a hankering to do some (easy) baking last night and found a quick, simple recipe in my Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 cookbook for some “squares”.

100_4920

I even followed the recipe right through with no changes! Unheard of! I took one to work today which ended up serving as my sweet end;100_4926

They were just OK. I think they needed to spend a bit more time in the oven. I’d make them again, but I’m also in no rush to.

Before I left work for the day I enjoyed 2 juicy plums all chopped up to avoid messy hands. I hate sticky, messy hands! 100_4929

I'm thrilled to say that I collected my first lettuce from the garden tonight! I planted 4 red leaf heads and they are just beautiful…and huge! Check this out…they’re bigger than my head! 100_4931

You just know that I made a VERY large salad for dinner tonight, right?! I ate right out of a salad bowl! 100_4932

Here we have lots of lettuce, tomato, feta, a half cup of mixed beans, Ted Readers Peach & Bourbon sauce and some Caesar spritzer dressing. Oh, LOVE! 100_4933

Before I ate I whipped up a Chia Coconut Banana Pudding recipe that I found online. You can get the recipe right here. It was super simple and only took a few minutes to do. Next I’m going to try the chocolate one but I have to buy more chia seeds first! Look how thick it became! 100_4934

Ds wouldn’t go near it, DD loved it and kudos to my hubby for trying it, but he did not like it. Me? I loved it! I have no idea what a serving size truly is, but I made 3 from the batch.

As soon as the kitchen was cleaned up we went to spend some time with our neighbour (the one that just lost her hubby) and then we went for a family bike ride. It’s such a beautiful night and who knows when the next one will be so I wanted to take advantage of it. I’d say we were gone about an hour. I’ve been blogging out on the deck, but will be heading in soon to watch SYTYCD at 9pm.

Tomorrow’s my Friday so YAY for that! I’ll catch you all on the flip side!

Bye for now!!

16 comments:

  1. SUCH gorgeous lettuce!!! hooray for long weekends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the Funky Monkey Squares!!

    HOLY FREAKING FRESH PRODUCE GOODNESS!! As a fellow gardener, I'm in awe of your lettuce - gorgeous!!


    Hugs, my dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray for tomorrow being your friday!
    gorg bfast my friend!
    have a wonderful night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been drinking this "superfood" type drink that has probiotics. I've been drinking it almost daily for 2 months...and everything is running smoothly for me finally if you know what I mean! haha. It is the best stuff and tastes like dessert. I love it :) Probiotics do a body good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you confused me there for a minute when you said tomorrow as friday! haha!

    i'm glda the probiotics are working for your ibs. have you heard if it might work for crohns? just a thought...my dad's had that since he was a teen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. look at that lettuce!!! gorgeous :) and i'm bookmarking that pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to plant lettuce next year. Yours is gorgeous and I am extremely jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job on the lettuce! Red leaf is one of my favourite. I so wish I had a garden, it would be fun to grow a few things.

    Tomorrow is my Friday as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love the idea of spinach lemon cous cous and those cherries look divine. Your lettuce is soo awe inspiringly gorgeous I feel like it's one of those county fair 900lb pumpkins!

    Happy Thursday/Friday. I don't know how Canadian calendars work. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. wooo..... that lettuce is gigantic!!!
    I bought probiotics for IBS too but always forget to take it! I guess it's about time to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I take the digestive Pearls for probiotics and I love how they really do make a difference! And whats it take to add one more pill to a daily routine?! And wow is that one head of lettuce! My grandpa just delivered me 2 whopping bags of fresh garden spinach--divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you're getting this summer warm up we're getting! It's about time, am I right?!

    That is a GREAT head of lettuce!! Enjoy your "Friday" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad that the probiotics have helped you so much Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh lettuce!!! Looks awesome! Worth all the hard work I bet :) Interesting info on the probiotics- as I am still trying to work out my tummy issues- this could be very helpful for me. Yummy baking too. Hope things are going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum Yum your breakfast looks amazing like always. I'm glad you are having success with the probiotics!
    and OMG that lettuce! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the color of your oats...so pretty! Your lettuce looks amazing, and red leaf is one of my favorite varieties!
    Thursdays are my Fridays too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!