Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Birthday CANADA!!!

Considering that rain was predicted, we had a fabulous day! The sun even made a few appearances for time to time. I lazed around in bed until 8:30 before I decided to get up for some food. I enjoyed my favourite combination of flavours, to boot!

100_4771

  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup PC 5 grain cereal
  • cinnamon, vanilla, salt
  • banana
  • PB2
  • carob chips
  • sprinkle of Dorset cereal

100_4770

Yummy in my tummy! And yes, it tasted as good as it looks!

After some internet time I decided to bake some treats. I’ve been meaning to transform my favourite vegan cookie (cherry pistachio) that I buy at the market all the time into a treat that I can make at home simply. I fiddled with a biscuit recipe and the finished product was stellar! It’s kind of a cross between a cookie and a biscuit.

100_4783

Cherry Pistachio “Cookies”

  • 1.5 cups oats
  • 2/3 cup Bisquick
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 4 tsp light margarine (I used Becel)
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 1/2 cup shelled pistachios

Glaze

  • 2 tbsp powdered sugar
  • just enough USAB to thin it out
  1. Pre heat oven to 400*
  2. combine first 7 ingredients
  3. Fold in cherries and pistachios
  4. form into 8 “balls” and place on greased baking sheet
  5. Bake for 17-20 minutes
  6. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over top of cookies once cooled

Stats courtesy of Spark People Recipes;

Calories190.7
Fat6.3g
Fibre2.9g
Protein4.2

100_4777

I’m quite satisfied with the way these babies turned out. The only thing I would do differently next time is make them smaller so the recipe yields more yumminess. I also whipped up a batch of rice crispy treats using a 1/4 cup butter (melt in a big pot), a small bag of mini marshmallows (stir into butter until smooth), 2 tsbp chocolate PB2 (stir into melted marshmallows) 1 cup puffed wheat, 1 cup puffed millet, 1/2 cup 3 Sisters Honey Oaties (combine with melted goodness in pot). Press the mixture into an 8 x 8 greased pan and let cool in the fridge before cutting into 9 squares.

100_4789

When I got the kitchen cleaned up I took advantage of the dry (er) weather to get all the weeding done in my backyard flower beds and veggie garden. That took a wee bit longer than I expected which made lunch later than I had intended. I wasn’t starving so I made my favourite summer salad which is VERY easy to do. I chopped up a red, yellow and kumato tomato into a bowl, added some chopped up feta cheese and sprinkled with salt and pepper. That’s it!

100_4787

Now you all know my favourite way to eat tomatoes! I ate one of the above cookies and a small piece of crispy treat, too. I had to make sure they were edible! :)

The rest of the afternoon was spent puttering around outside and relaxing. At 3:30 I popped a pork roast in the oven with some carrots and onions. One hour later a sweet potato joined the party and 45 minutes later dinner was served. I used some of Ruth’s mole sauce as a dipper for the pork and the carrots. T’was very good! Thanks, Ruth!

100_4788

I ate some camera shy ginger chocolate for dessert as well. I really like that combination.

We may go see the fireworks later on tonight. It all depends if the rain holds off. We had a bit of a shower an hour ago which has since stopped, but they sky is still pretty dark. I’ll leave you tonight with some pictures of my furry boys, Octavius, Charlie and Pepper;

100_4776

100_4772

100_4773

My cutie patooties!

Bye for now!!

14 comments:

  1. Kitties! Yay :D

    Roasted onions are one of my favourite veggies. So good :) I wish I had your dinner.

    And very nice crispy cereal square. My grandma used to make a great puffed wheat square, and I always say I should get around to making it myself, and never do. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Canada Day! Love your cookie creation and your kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the kitties and the cereal squares!! look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, i have some bisquick in the fridge i've been meaning to use up... this might be the ticket ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope you got to see some fireworks!! those cookies look fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm rice krispy treats are so classic.

    Cute kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked the mole, I love how the flavour changes a bit with every bite.

    And those rice crispy treat look awesome, I bet the PB2 makes them amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you had a great canada day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it sounds a really relaxing day!!! those biscuits look soooooo good!!!
    happy canada day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY CANADA DAY!!

    When I first saw your breakfast, I thought it was toast because I didn't see the bowl. I was like, "Hmm...that's a great topping for toast!" ;)

    Yum to all the baked goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMO to the cookies and PB Crispy treats. Nom nom nom nom all the liv long day!!! Your yellow tomatoes are also gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were quite the baking gal today--everything looks quite delish! I can't wait to try out that amped up version of my fav childhood treat--rice krispies! Have a fab weekend!
    *Happy bday to your home country :-) I still need to get to Canada seeming how it's only 1 1/2 hrs away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Canada Day!

    Those cherry pistachio cookies look really good, I bet they'd be great with tea!

    Your cats are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Those look sensational! I actually had a cherry-pistachio cookie sent to me recently and it was similar in size and yummy-looking. Are you sure you're not secretly going pro with those delights?! ;o) I must try!

    Love the kitties!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!