Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Who Can Resist A Pancake Challenge?

When I read that Katie over at CCV was hosting a pancake challenge, I knew I wanted to submit a recipe. I began by getting all my dry ingredients out last night to speed the process along this morning. I decided to make Green Tea Latte Pancakes:100_5017

  • 1/3 cup Quaker oats
  • 2 tbsp bisquick
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1 tbsp plain NF yogurt
  • 1 tsp match green tea powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • a squirt of agave (or honey)
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze

I put everything into a Magic Bullet cup and whirled away for a minute or so. As you can see, I got 4 good sized pancakes from the batter. They were so good that I lost track of time and had to eat the last one one the go. Good thing I put the maple syrup on the side!! Here’s the stats on the recipe according to Spark People:

Calories394
Fat6.2
Fibre11.1
Protein26.8

Not too shabby, eh?

I also threw together a quick crispy cereal square concoction last night which I ate a piece of before going to the gym. I call these treats Puff N’ Stuff Squares. 100_5020

And here’s the “recipe” for these bad boys although you can sub in any type of cereal and spices that your little heart desires!

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 bag miniature marshmallows
  • 3 cups puffed wheat
  • 3 cups puffed millet
  • 1 cup Kashi Vive
  • coconut shavings and carob chips to garnish
  1. melt butter in a large pot then stir cinnamon in
  2. add marshmallows and stir, stir, stir until smooth
  3. add all of the cereal and mix very well until all is combined
  4. press into a 9 x 9 pan and sprinkle with coconut & carob chips
  5. allow to come to room temp before cutting into 16 squares

STATS!

Calories130
Fat3.3
Fibre1.7
Protein1.6

Here’s an up close and personal shot! 100_5030

Well, I’m all reciped out for now, folks!

I had a few things to do at home over lunch today but wanted to get a bit of a workout in so I opted to do 30 minutes on the elliptical. After that I raced home (I live very close) and hung a load of laundry out on the line and pulled my frozen brussel sprouts out of the freezer to thaw. It’s amazing what one can accomplish in just under and hour! If I didn’t have to take the kids to the sitter, I would be walking or riding my bike to work. One day! Here’s my gym stats!

  • Time: 30 minutes
  • Avg Hr: 161
  • Max Hr: 175
  • Calories Burned: 308
  • Distance: 3.4 miles

Mission accomplished! Can you guess what I at for lunch? That’s riiiight…SALAD!!!! I may eat one everyday but at least I switch up the toppings! I went with a burger theme today…100_5021

  • red leaf lettuce
  • grilled red onion and bell peppers
  • feta
  • St. Yves chick’n burger
  • honey Dijon dressing

100_5022

Me loves! I also snacked on a bunch of berries throughout the afternoon. Cherries, raspberries and blackberries to be exact! 100_5024

When I got home there was a few samples of one of my favourite things in the mailbox: NUTELLA! 100_5025

I sent away for the samples so long ago that I forgot all about them. Samples are good for me because I could seriously OD on this stuff!

We had grilled chicken breast for dinner tonight along with some canned mixed veggies (I’m trying to clean out the pantry) and I also sautéed up some brussel sprouts in a wee bit of avocado oil. Once toasty, they got mixed up with some Kraft Fig Balsamic dressing. Oh, yeah! 100_5026

I remembered tonight that I much prefer canned veggies in soup. They’ve got a better consistency for it. My sweet end was a 1/4 cup of POM Wonderful w/ Blueberries topped off with tonic water; 100_5029

I sipped on this while reading the new Prevention mag that came in the mail today. As for the rest of the night….it’s going to be an early one. I’ve been getting to bed WAY too late the past few nights and it’s starting to catch up to me. How are you all spending your evening?

Bye for now!!

19 comments:

  1. I think you win the prize for most creative pancake idea! Green tea in pancakes?! It sounds like something you'd get at Starbucks! Now I want to try putting green tea in my pancakes. What an awesome idea :)

    (P.S. The salad looks yummy too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pancakes with a kick, delish squares, Nutella via mail... what's not to love??? :-D

    I just received the new Prevention magazine in the mail today too!! Maybe I'll spend my evening reading it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pancakes with oats! Your salad looks great like ususal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much good stuff in this post, I don't know where to start! Those puffn'stuff squares look freaking awesome! Josh is a HUGE nutella fan, I want to find those serving size packages ina store near me....I keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those pancakes do look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW those pancakes look yummy!
    So do the bars... mmmmm!i love coconut and chocolate mixtures, they are my fave!
    -muffy

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE your pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sight of those pancakes truly made my night! So creative of you. You should try combining your Nutella with banana on top of a pancake--French style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What yummy puff n stuff squares!!! I love the name :) Nutella is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those pancakes look awesome! i've been meaning to try the match i picked up, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I love your pancake creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both green tea pancakes and puff squares!!! so yummy~~~
    I'd vote for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. those pancakes are amazing- what a creative recipe!
    hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pancake creation and the bars! Can't go wrong with anything that mimics a rice krispy bar! And you should totally try a pizza themed salad! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those pancakes and bars both look incredible!! Thanks for the recipes :)

    Woohoo for Nutella samples! That stuff is SO easy to OD on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OooH I looove green tea flavoured things even more I love Nutella. You're right the sample packets are genius because they curb your ability to OD but what if you eat them ALL AT ONCE??
    I'm just sayin' . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Berries sound like the perfect afternoon snack this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, green tea latte pancakes. Those sound tasty :) And they are such a pretty colour.

    I'm also eyeing up those cereal squares you made. My grandma used to make oldfashioned puffed wheat squares, and I loved those things. I keep saying I should get off my arse and make my own, yet I never do. I think that might be on the agenda this weekend now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow great recipes! you should go to work for Rice Krispies as the 4th guy! (or girl) they look great :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!