Monday, November 3, 2008

Getting Brave With My Oats

I was up and at it pretty early this morning because DS had a Dr’s appointment and both the kids were scheduled for their flu shot. The time change came in handy for me because my body thought it was an hour later than it really was. That’s a plus! I made a quick, but tasty breakfast this morning. It was really creamy so it felt more like I was eating dessert!

-1/2 cup water
-1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
-1/3 cup oat bran
-cinnamon
-2 Tbsp fruit & nut trail mix



This bowl was really enjoyable and I savored every bite. Another plus was that it was a grand rib-sticker! I wasn’t really even that hungry when I ate lunch at 1:30! Sorry the picture is a tad dark...not enough lighting.

There’s a little café called “Choco Latte” in the plaza were the kids doctor’s office is and my brother told me that they make the best Chai tea latte’s, not Williams Pub. Of course I had to go in and buy one to try! As soon as I took the lid off and realized there was no foam on top, I knew it wouldn’t be as good.



While it was pretty tasty and I had no trouble at all drinking it up, I have to disagree with my brother. I still say William’s Pub ALL the way!! The café itself was quite cute and they had some delicious looking treats, so next time I’m there I’ll try something else. The kids were thrilled because I let them each have a small chocolate milk. Takes so little effort to make their day!

I’m always kind of happy to see the weekend end because once Monday rolls around I feel like my schedule gets back on track. I was especially happy to wake up to Monday today because I left all the candy behind when I walked out the door. If I don’t see it (or have it) I can’t be tempted to eat it! I purposely packed lots of fruits and veggies today. My body is definitely craving the good stuff after a weekend of more junk food than I’m used to! I drank 2 of these suckers today. This one has the Yogi Vanilla Hazelnut tea in it and the second one had green tea in it. Need to flush the bad stuff out!



Seeing as my belly was being rebellious today, I kept the speed a little slower on the treadmill (3 miles in 33:35 with 2 mins of walking at the start) but ramped up the incline. I upped it 3% every 5 minutes to a total of 15%. I worked up a pretty good sweat and burned just as many calories!

Lunch was leftover tofu and veggies that I chopped up and doused with some soy sauce.



Pretty appetizing and filling to boot. Actually, maybe a little too filling seeing as I wasn’t very hungry when I ate it...my pants were kinda tight this afternoon! I didn't end up eating my carrot sticks or raspberries!

For months now I’ve been reading about savory oats on blogs but I have not been brave enough to try it. Well, I decided that tonight was the night! Monday night = dance night and the fridge was full of leftovers for my hubby so I figured I might as well give it a shot. Here’s what I did;

Savory Oats

-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-Grain cereal
-S & P
-chopped up carrots & broccoli
-1/4 cup light ricotta
-1/3 cup egg whites (prepared in microwave)
-2 Tbsp mild peach/pineapple salsa

*Bring water, S & P, carrots & broccoli to a boil
*Stir in cereal
*When mixture has thickened up, stir in ricotta & salsa
*Top with egg white




I admit, I was VERY skeptical! The idea alone was a little gaggy to me, but I charged full steam ahead with it and....I LIKED it! It's definitely not something I could eat in the a.m., but as for dinner occasionally...you bet! I think the ricotta made it! The tangy-ness of the cheese really appealed to me. I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and tried this dish.

I had some plain fat free yogurt with a scoop of pineapple coconut jam on top.



It looks like a sunny side up egg! After I picked DD up from dance I stopped at the pharmacy to fill DS's prescription and found this little coffee flavoring kit.



Of course, it came home with me. These babies will be great additions to my breakfast's!

I’m gonna steal an idea now that I’ve seen cruising around blogland. I’ve seen it so much that I’m not really sure who I’m stealing it from! Here’s the idea…..to all of you out there who read my blog, please post a comment letting me know what your favorite meal of the day is! I’m curious to see how many readers I have compared to the number of comments I usually get. Please join the fun and speak up so that I know you’re out there! I can’t wait to see how many responses I get!

Bye for now!

18 comments:

  1. Glad you're getting brave with your delicious oats!!



    **Favorite meal of the day = BREAKFAST!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! How do you get them so creamy??

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer about the coffee! That drives me crazy to pay good money for a coffee/tea and have it stink! I'm glad you tried and liked the savory oats. Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm addicted to my pumpkin pie oatmeal, but I never though about savory oats before. I love ricotta so I must give this a try, but topped with egg white? Sounds crazy enough to work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree. savory oats sounded 'gaggy' to me at first too, but i love them now! you've got to be in the mood, thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try savory oats, but I definitely couldn't eat them for breakfast! I love that you used ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh i love savory oats!!
    the coffee flavoring kit looks like an excellent purchase :D
    enjoy your night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Krista! Love the blog! I'm from ontario too! My favorite meal of the day is also breakfast - gotta love those oats on a cold winter's day!

    ~Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fave meal is definitely dinner. I've never been a big breakfast food liker (since I don't eat eggs), and lunch tends to be either leftovers, or sandwiches. But dinner always has so much more...I dunno, it's just better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Krista!

    I think I'd have to say breakfast would be my favourite! You're the one who introduced me to Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Cereal, so THANK YOU!!

    Oh, on a ricotta note...try some ricotta with some almond or vanilla extract and a bit of splenda or sugar...or even put the ricotta in the freezer with some vanilla extract and it tastes a LOT like ice cream!!

    Bacon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Krista!

    I am a huge fan of ricotta but I never would have thought to put it in there!! Thanks for the idea :) My fav ricotta recipe is simply an oz or two of ricotta, some fresh mixed berries, and a honey drizzle. YUMMY

    Favorite meal of the day - Breakfast for sure!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Savory Oats! Glad you finally gave them a try, they are so good! I love your idea of adding ricotta cheese, I'll have to try that next time.

    And I'm pretty jealous of that coffee flavouring kit. Syrups AND toppings? Mmm perfection.

    I honestly don't know if I have a favourite meal. I love them ALL so much haha. So it really depends on my mood for the day. Right now I'm definitely feeling some breakfast though

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea to add veggies to the savory oatmeal!!!

    and for the morning oatmeal, I've been using more oat bran lately, do you find it more satisfying that oats?

    ReplyDelete
  14. definitely brave with savoury oats!! i am too scared to try it, but everyone who does seems to really like it... so i guess i must be missing out! need to pluck up the courage now...

    breafast, all the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never even thought about savory oats. Glad you tried them and liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your savory oats sound like the best i've read about so far! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Krista,

    Where did you get the oat bran from? I've looked in the grocery store and I couldn't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bacon,

    SO glad you like the 10 grain cereal. It's one of my fave's for sure!

    Anon,

    I buy my oat bran at Zehrs, in the cereal aisle. It's usually with the oats and wheat germ...Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!