Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Clean(er) Eating Day & Co-Worker Cookie Recipe

After yesterday’s chocolate over indulgence, I decided that I really needed to eat cleaner, healthier food today because I am suffering a serious food hangover today! I slept in until almost 9am (holy moly) and wasn’t even hungry when I did get up. UGH! I seriously can’t remember the last time I ate a chocolate bar all to myself, but I think I must’ve had almost 2 over the course of yesterday. My system is most definitely NOT use to that anymore. I did get
on the treadmill for a 45 minute run last night (2 min warm up walk, 35 min run, 3 min cool down walk) for a grand total of 4 miles. For that, I am proud!

On to breakfast. I made a nice, simple bowl of oats this morning and it was just what I needed!

-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5-Grain cereal
-1 tsp pumpkin spice coffee powder
-1/4 cup Enjoy Life Foods cranapple granola



SO satisfying! After breakfast, I caught up on my blog reading while sipping a bottle of water. Looking back, at this point I was avoiding my Saturday chores like the plague! Procrastinating worked in my favor this time because by the time I got downstairs, my hubby had already started on the vacuuming! Yipee! That freed me up to do the other chores.

Early in the afternoon I took DD to see High School Musical 3. Very well done. It was my favorite of the three, and yes, I’ve seen 1 & 2 many, many times! The show started at 12:35 and I wasn’t ready for lunch before we left so I packed it to go and smuggled it in the theatre in my purse! I made an Ezekiel 4:9 English muffin with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge and some apricot jam.



I also packed some carrots sticks and two little treat bags.



After the movie we hit the store to do the groceries. The place was packed and by the time we were done, I was exhausted and just wanted to get home to relax with a cup of tea. And yes, when I came home I savored 3 mini chocolate bars.



I’ve put everything away so that when I settle I to watch TV later, they’re out of sight. Thank goodness I can take or leave the chips and candy. Man, I’d be in trouble if ALL of it appealed to me!

Dinner tonight was the second half of my stuffed squash from the other day.



Still good and VERY filling! Must be all that fiber!

No sweet end tonight. I was too full. If I start to hear the treat bag call me later, I plan on munching on a piece of pumpkin baked oatmeal.

After many request for my co-workers cookie recipe, I finally got it! This shows the ingredients for the original recipe which came out of a Tosca Reno cookbook and D's ingredients for a slimmed down version. Both are great and very filling! One of these cookies and a yogurt or fruit would be filling enough for me for lunch! Enjoy!

Original and Calorie reduced version of

Grandmothers Favorite Oatmeal Cookies



Ingredients

2 2/3 cups unsalted olive-oil margarine
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 lrg omega eggs
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vanilla
1 ½ tsp sea salt
8 cups old fashioned rolled oats
4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup dark raisins
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts


Calorie Reduced

2 2/3 cups unsalted olive oil margarine
2 cups sucanat
1 lrg omega egg and 1/3 cup egg whites
1 tbsp vanilla
3 tbsp honey
1 ½ tsp sea salt
8 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour plus
3 cups whole Wheat flour
2 cups natural dried fruit, nut & seed mix



Preheat over to 350*. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cream the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the eggs, honey, vanilla and sea salt until smooth and creamy. Using large wooden spatula or hands; work in the flour and oats until well combined. Add raisin/nuts until evenly distributed. Let batter sit for apprx. 15 minutes before rolling into desired cookie size. Press flat with hands and place on cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes or until as brown as you desire. Will make minimum of 35 large 3” cookies.
Nutritional information per cookie:

Original: 471 calories, 6g protein, 27g fat and 52g carbs

Reduced: 285 calories, 4g protein, 18g fat and 35g carbs

**Note about these cookies: Can be used as a natural granola bar replacement . They are very filling and satisfying, will hold off the hunger cravings for hours. For an added fiber fill up you can sprinkle flaxseeds, wheat germ or bran into cookie mixture and it will not take away from the natural taste. ( I would add 1 more tbsp of honey if you are adding more fibre).**


Overall, I had a MUCH better day where food is concerned. Chocolate was definitely a conscious treat today as opposed to just stuffing it in my yapper. And that, my friends, makes all the difference to me on whether or not I'm going to feel "guilty" about it.

I'm off to watch some tube and finish reading my book. It's shaping up to be a relaxing night!

Bye for now!

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm...those cookies sounds good and i'm glad you were conscious of your treats and great about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cookie recipe- sounds yummy. I heard the new high school musical was really good- I am glad you enjoyed it! Have a nice night

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell yes for eating clean DELICIOUSLY!!! Yum :0)

    Coffee Crisp bars!! Wow, do THOSE bring back nostalgia for me...

    Have a lovely evening, Krista!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm glad you got some halloween treats in :D thank you for snagging that recipe!! sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look delicious! Hope you have a relaxing evening. Way to go on the treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - great looking cookies. Do you mind send ing me offer a few - I am not that far away.... please :)

    zesty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm making acorn squash tonight and I wish it looked one-half as good as yours looked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grandmother... has some great taste :)

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!