Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day Part 2

Hello again!

Okay! Let's get on with today's eats! Pepper woke me up at 6:05am, but luckily for me, he woke DD up, too. She decided to take him downstairs which allowed me 3 more hours of sleep. That's right, boys and girls, I got out of bed at 9am! That late rising set the tone for a VERY leisurely day!

My MIL brought me some International Delight coffee creamers last night....

YUMMY! I decided to drizzle some of the buttered pecan on my oats for breakfast.


-1 cup water
-1/2 flax seed porridge
-cinnamon
-scant tbsp butter pecan coffee creamer


This bowl was so, so good! The creamer was just enough to give a nice sweetness to the oats without being to powerful. I could get use to that!

After breakfast I set to the task of taking all the meat off the turkey carcass to free the bones up for a pot of broth. I told my hubby that I should really roast a turkey more often because you get so much bang for your buck. Just look at all the meat still left...


This was a 12.5lb turkey that fed 6 of us last night and there was still this much left! Here's the soup pot cooking away.


I ended up getting 13 cups of broth from the bones. I refrigerate it over night and tomorrow I will remove all the hardened fat from the top so it's healthier for us. This is how my Mom has always done her broth (or "brodo" as I grew up calling it!)

I didn't really get hungry for lunch at all, but after a quick trip to the grocery store for cat litter, I figured I'd better eat something. I decided to eat a bowl of jello salad and 2 clementine's. I ate this at 2pm!


I should mention that I snacked on about 4-5 homemade haystacks throughout the morning and afternoon, too. That probably contributed to my lack of appetite! I scavenged around the house for the jello recipe and haven't been able to find it. I will look around again tomorrow to see if I can find it!

I lazed around until 5pm watching Food Network. They were airing a bunch of challenges. Kinda cool to watch. Supper, as I'm sure you can guess, was heated up leftovers. I swear most food tastes better the next day!!


And we polished off the cheesecake, too.


There was about a 1/3 cup of the sauce leftover so I told my hubby, who is a cool whip freak, to mix the sauce with whatever amount of ice cream he would normally eat, only using Cool Whip and pop it in the freezer for his dessert tomorrow. He must not have thought me too crazy because he did it!

After dinner we watched Wall-E. What a cute movie! The kids really enjoyed it and we all had a few good laughs. Very entertaining!

Well, that was my day! Very relaxing and laid back! I think we all need one of those every now and again! I hop everyone is able to kick back over the holiday's and do some relaxing, too!

Bye for now!!

6 comments:

  1. So Pepper's an early riser, eh?? Haha so cute :-)

    Man oh man that cheesecake is just too enticing for words - wowza!!

    Hooray for a well-deserved relaxing day!! Enjoy your evening as well, Krista!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very relaxing day! I've had those coffee creamers before and liked them - but never in oatmeal! That sounds great! Thanks for the idea :o)

    I bet the soup will be great. Love the leftovers, too! I still haven't seen Wall-E yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it so we'll have to rent it sometime. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, i finally watched wall-e and loved it too! such a great message!

    and yay for days lazying around! i wish i had had that today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely relaxing day! I bet you enjoyed it! All the food looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great day. I have never made my own broth but would really like to do so! Dessert looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those kind of days are the best! I love how your added coffee creamer to your oats - sound divine!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!