Sunday, December 28, 2008

Family Day

I woke up today to the strongest gusts of wind I think I have ever heard! I told my hubby that if it had been summer, we'd be getting hit by a tornado! We saw many a tree and signs knocked over on our travels today. Yikes!!

We met my family for lunch today so I kept my breakfast on the small side to compensate for the bigger mid day meal i knew I'd be having.

-1/4 cup unsweetened chocolate almond breeze
-1/2 cup water
-1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 10 grain cereal
-some crumbled macaroon

Mom brought over some of her magnificent tiramisu last night for dessert. This is my all time favourite dessert to eat. Mom only makes it at Christmas and sometimes for Easter so it's extra special when we get some. Please excuse the pie plate i was eating off of! I was so excited that I didn't even bother with a real plate! :)

One thing I was certain of when I got up this morning was that I had to fit a run in before we left for the restaurant or it wasn't going to happen so once my breakfast had a chance to digest, I hopped on the treadmill. The first mile was a killer. My muscles we complaining, my tummy was threatening to rebel and my head was aching. I seriously almost quit right there. I pushed on and all the yuckiness passed and I got into a real nice grove. I planned on another hour long run, but at the 29 minute mark, my left knee bummed out on me! I tried to walk it off for a few minutes, but when I tired to run again, it was very obvious that it was over. :( Walking seemed to be fine so I did that for another 10 minutes before calling it quits. I'm still not sure what happened. It feels fine just walking, but even going up & down the stairs is painful. *SIGH* I'll rest it tomorrow and hope for the best on Tuesday.

On to happier thing---LUNCH! We went to the Mandarin which is basically really good Chinese food. Their buffet has an amazing selection so i knew I was in for some good eats. My hubby and I had been there once before, but this was a good year ago. I was glad to see that it was still the same. My strategy for all you can eat buffets are to only take things that I wouldn't regularly eat, so here are my plates. I do not remember the names of everything that I tried, but most of it was delicious. I don't think any of the plates were completely consumed...if it wasn't at least an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, I left it there.

Round #1-salads

My favorite thing on this plate was the mango salad. Least fave was the seaweed salad at the top of the plate.

Round #2-main course

I liked everything on this plate. It's mostly chicken and pork. My favourite here was the sushi. Most of the sauces were left on this plate...everything else I ate. You might notice that there's no fried or battered stuff. That's because I say YUCK to battered and fried anything! Always have...

Round #3-Dessert (X2)

My fave on this plate was most definitely the piece of Belgian waffle. I left the crust of the tart and the piece of honeydew melon. This next plate was a cruller type donut and a small slice of cranberry walnut bread. Both were awesome!

I will admit to being a little too full after all this food, but I'm happy with the choices I made. We made a few stops before we got home and then I just sat down and watched some TV with my kitten. Next thing I knew, it was 45 minutes later! I had fallen asleep! I guess a big lunch will do that to you.

DS had a hockey game at 4pm today and my whole family came...even my sister in law and niece & nephew who live 2 hours away! It was so much fun! My nephew loved watching DS on the ice. He wants to play so bad but he has to wait until next year when he'll be 4. After the game, my crew and my sister in law's crew went out to Swiss Chalet for dinner. All the kids enjoy going there to eat. I was still content from lunch so I just ordered a bowl of soup with a bun.

I also nibbled on a few of baby G's (my nephew) fries. If DD was writing this post, she'd probably tell you that when we got back to the house, I devoured a small bag of Kahlua filled chocolate's that my SIL gave me as part of my Christmas present. I won't confirm that, though! :~)

They hit the road by 9pm and now here I am, in my fuzzy PJ's at last about to hit the sack. DS is on the ice at 8am tomorrow for his first day of hockey camp and I will be going to watch....with a BIG coffee! I'll leave you with a few picture's of the kids at dinner tonight. One is of DD and baby G, the other of DS and Callie cat my niece)...


Catch y'all tomorrow!!

Bye for now!

8 comments:

  1. great chinese buffet eats! And I do the same, I only choose those foods that I can't get at home :)
    and sorry about the run, hope your knee get better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Krista! Your moms tiramasu looks so good! I love desserts that only make an appearance every great once in a while- it always makes them better! The first mile running is always the worst! Glad you made it through but I hope your knee feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up the saaaaame way - the winds were frightening!!

    Hope you're feeling 100% better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food induced comas! LOVE that tiramisu!!

    Is your knee pain on the outside of your knee? I used to get knee pain on the outside but I've learned some tricks that help.

    Cute kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, i hope you feel better and are ableto get in a pain free run soon!

    and love the kid pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That was quite the trip to the Chinese restaurant. :) Sorry about the run. I hate when the mind says yes and the body says no.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiramisu is one of my all-time favorites, too! The kids are soo adorable!

    I hope you feel better and that the pain subsides!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute kiddos! That tiramisu looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!