Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Madness Continues

I woke up naturally at 8am feeling nice and refreshed! Love that! I snuggled in bed for a bit going over everything that needed to be done today before I got up for breakfast. My hubby was, at this point, out working with my uncle so it was just me and the kiddies. After making their requested breakfast of eggs easy over and toast, I got to work on my gingerbread oats!



-1 cup water
-1/2 Flax Seed Porridge
-1/2 tsp each cinnamon & ginger
-1 tbsp molasses
-a drizzle of agave
-festive red & green sprinkles



This was really, really good! Next time I will use a tad more molasses, though. I was afraid to add too much and ruin everything so I went a little on the light side with it. This bowl kept me going for 4.5 hrs! AWESOME!

Just as I was finishing up, my hubby walks in the door much earlier than expected looking quite green. Yup…he’s got the flu bug, too! OH, how I HOPE that I avoid it! I’ll be much too busy in the next week to even think about getting sick! I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed!

The kids and I continued on with our plans which left him with an empty, but more importantly, quiet house for most of the day! We started off by picking up DS’s winter coat which had the zipper replaced, then we made a pit stop at the post office for some overseas stamps and I found these seriously cute holiday plates…



Next up was a trip to Costco where I was delighted to find this…



Sabra hummus! They had about 6 different flavors that they were sampling/selling. We tried all of them and then I let the kids pick. We ended up with the Greek one and the roasted pepper one. I’ve been reading about this product on many blogs and I definitely have to agree that it ROCKS! It’s so smooth and creamy and FLAVOURFUL!! While there, I also sampled this beautiful Lindt chocolate.



How wicked does that look?!?! After this, we went to the health food store to buy some much needed Almond Breeze, Flax Seed Porridge and agave. Then a walk across the street to the bakery to get pizza for the kid’s dinner and some more purple kale.



Last stop before lunch was to the mall. The kids had some VERY important letters to put in Santa’s mailbox and I had to pick up 2 little gifts for the girls I’m meeting for dinner on Wednesday night.

When we finally arrived home for lunch, I toasted up 2 slices of Weight Watchers WW bread and slathered them with the Greek hummus. I added some Mache mix in at the last minute. I had more of the Mache mix on the side. And of course, I tried out one of my new plates!!



We had a few hours to kill so I caught up on my blog reading & commenting which I’ve fallen behind on. Mid afternoon I took the kids down to the arena for a free skate with our hockey team’s mascot, Spyke. I had planned on skating when we were all going, but decided to sit out and just left the kids have fun. My reasoning, you may ask? Well, I suck at skating and didn’t want to take the chance of wiping out (happens a lot) and hurting myself when it was just the kids and moi. Speaking of hockey, the game last night was terrific! Our team won 3-0. It was also the “Teddy Bear Toss” night. The idea behind this is that everyone brings a new or gently used stuffed animal and once our team scores the first goal they all get thrown on the ice. The toys are then donated to kids in need. I can’t believe the MASSIVE amount of stuffed toys that flew out on the ice! Here’s 2 shots of just a portion of them!!




DS was on the ice at 4pm and I played the part of hockey Mom. On our way to the arena, I stopped for gas and a ½ pumpkin spice latte, ½ hazelnut coffee at 7-11.



I really needed a pick up at this point and this did the trick! I struggled a wee bit with all the hockey equipment, but I had him on the ice on time! PHEW! Coming home was a slow drive because it started to snow quite heavily while we were at the rink and the roads were pretty slick. Once we made it, I heated up the pizza and roasted some asparagus along side it. Then I pan “fried” a haddock fillet for myself. Dinner was served!



I’m going to give myself an hour to chill out and then I have some work that I took home that needs to be done so I figure I’ll tackle that. Thankfully it’s nothing I need to be on the ball about…just some input checking. I hope that my hubby is better tomorrow because I think I need (deserve!) a bit of a break! What a day it’s been!

Hopefully everyone out there is having a more relaxing weekend than myself! Catch up with ya later!

Bye for now!!

13 comments:

  1. Gingerbread oats + holiday plates + amazing number of donations at hockey game = faaaabulous Saturday!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a cute idea for the festive oats! And the holiday plates are so adorable! You are definitely in the spirit of the holidays - hoorraayy! Merry Christmas! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gingerbread oats look fantastic! So sorry the husband is sick! I hope you don't get sick too! LOVE sabra hummus- there is no better brand! Glad you won the game last night and what a cool teddy toss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOA awesome eats! The gingerbread oats look AMAZING! So festive and holiday-ish =). and purple kale?? wow never seen that.

    And I just bought sabra hummus for the first time last week and i LOVE it. Thats so cool they have so many flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try that gingerbread oatmeal tomorrow!
    lovely plate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You beat me to it! I was trying to figure out the portions of everything to make gingerbread oats...now I can just try your version. They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So since you're from Canada and seem to be a hockey fan, I will share this little known fact about me: I went to high school with (and was actually very good friends with) Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguin all-star and Nova Scotia-native. Maybe I'll post a photo from our prom someday soon! haha, we look sooooooooo young! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice festive oats! And the plates are cute too.

    And purple kale! Yay! It's so pretty. They didn't have any last time I was at the produce market.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehehe saw Sabra Hummus @ Costco today tooooooooooo, I wanted to buy some but it was SUCH a big tubbbbb!!! :D MMM I've had those Lindt chocolates before, tastyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am in total awe of your gingerbread oats - SOOOOOOO gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow what a great day you had!!
    Your oats sound fabulous too :)

    angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg gingerbread oats?! that sounds AMAZING!!!

    sounds like you had a great great day!! cheers to that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one seriously festive bowl of oats - I. Love. It!

    Cute snowflake plate too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!