Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In Memory of Braeden

So you may be wondering right now who Braeden is. Well, I’ll tell you about him as long as you promise not to be sad! So, twelve years ago today, Dec 2, 1996 at 7:41am, I gave birth to our first born son…..6lbs 11oz, 19.5” long. Sadly, Braeden was stillborn. Man, that was one tough blow and at the time, we were left wondering how we would ever manage to get through it all. We had a wonderfully strong support system that I’ll never be able to thank enough. Twelve years later, I can sit back and marvel at all that has happened over the years. I have 2 beautiful, healthy kids, a great job and a nice house. We will never know what went so wrong with Braeden in the eleventh hour….an autopsy came back “inconclusive”….but we take strength in the knowledge that everything in life happens for a reason. All these years later, the memories of that pregnancy are the happy ones, not the sad. And every Dec 2, I take a few minutes to reflect on all that I have to be grateful for and I know deep within my heart that Braeden is the wind at my back and the sun on my lips. He is our angel.



OKAY! On to the business of food and stuff! I had another rough night because DS played the role of Sicko McPukey from the hours of 2-4am. Poor kid. I really hope the 2 of them have it out of their system now! Funny how you can put kids to bed healthy as can be and within hours they are ill. I’ll never get it! I decided to go into work at bit later so I could see how he was once he woke up. He felt better so I took him to the sitter instead of sending him to school. He was able to have a nice quiet day there. Just what the (mom) doctor ordered! I was able to enjoy a delicious bowl of oats without having to rush out the door!


-1 cup water
-1/2 cup quick cooking steel cut Irish oats
-1/2 mashed banana
-cinnamon
-trail mix



These oats cook up super fast so you have to be quick with your add ins! I also really like them because they make a real stick-to-your-ribs bowl of yum!

We enjoyed some family Wii time last night! DD and I played a round of tennis and one of baseball. The boys did the same. DD obliterated me in baseball! She did really well! Afterwards, I snacked on a bowl of plain fat free yogurt, fig preserves and pumpkin granola.


I considered taking the day off from running, but decided that was just being lazy. I’m tired, after all, not ill! I got my 3 miles in and true to form, felt marvelous after wards! I even thought up a new recipe idea! I’ll share that one later on….

Lunch today was simple and taste bud heaven! I made a sammie using an English muffin, 2 pieces of thinly sliced, lean mortadella (I <3 this stuff!) and a laughing cow cheese wedge. I microwaved it until it was all soft and warm inside...YUM! I also had a container of strained yogurt with a scoop of pineapple coconut jam.


How about that retro plate?! It’s from the cabinet here at work… :)

I had pulled pork chops out for dinner tonight and I knew we were out of propane so I decided to try something a little different tonight....

Pork Chops Supreme

-4 boneless pork chops
-1/2 cup each flour & seasoned bread crumbs
-1 egg, beaten
-1 Tbsp olive oil
-2 onions, sliced
-1 pkg mushrooms
-1 cup stock
-cornstarch, as needed
-1 tsp each cumin, coriander, dried basil & oregano
-S & P

*heat oil in frying pan
*in 3 separate dishes, place flour, egg, bread crumbs (in that order)
*season pork chops with salt & pepper
*dredge pork chops through flours, then egg, then bread crumbs
*place in pan and cook over low heat until golden brown and cooked through


*meanwhile, add about a 1/4 of water to a smaller frying pan and add onions
*once onion are soft, add mushrooms and cook another few minutes
*add spices and cook one more minute
*pour stock over the veggies and bring to a boil
*make a slurry with equal amounts of cornstarch and water. Add to pan and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly
*place a pork chop on a plate and top with sauce


My only regret with this dish is that there was only 4 chops thawed out! It was a tasty alternative to good ole BBQ'd pork chops! My sweet end was 4 squares of the 60% dark chocolate bar from the fund raiser. I did take a few pictures, but they were all blurry. ARGH!

I baked this gingerbread recipe tonight as well! I've made it before, but it was at least a year ago. I remember that it turned out well, but I'll have to give a full review tomorrow because it's still too hot to cut!!

I plan to spend the rest of the evening playing some Wii Fit. I'm kinda stiff today and so I'm eager to bust out the yoga moves! After that, it's Biggest Loser time. I'll say a prayer in advance that Vicky will FINALLY be sent packing!

I meant to post this picture of my cat last night, but I deleted it off my camera and it was on my work computer! This is Octavius, AKA Tavers. I like this photo because he looks so mean, but really he's a sucky pants!



Enjoy your evening!

Bye for now!!

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful, touching tribute to Braeden, Krista - stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with VeggieGirl- beautiful tribute! I'm sure that was so difficult for you!

    Eats look good. Sorry the kids have been so sicky :( That is never any fun! Pumpkin granola? sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very beautiful and my thoughts are with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista, you're such a strong woman!!! I don't want to say more.....just want to let you know that I'm so happy for you! And I'm agree that everything happens for a reason that someday will be revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean happy for you that you can express it and share with us, that means that you've overcome that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your touching story! Big hug from me to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rest assured that your angel is with you everyday!

    Your pork chops look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a tough thing to go through, and to be able to stay strong and come out for the better is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful post about your first born; lots of hugs honey.

    great eats and fun w/ the wii fit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post about your firstborn.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!