Friday, December 5, 2008

An Unconventional Day

What a fun day I've had so far! It was a totally different work day than usually, but more on that in a few! I didn't have to rush around too much this morning because it was a PD day for the kids so they were just going to the sitters for the day. That means no lunches and school bags to prepare! YEAH! On to my oats;



-1 cup water
-splash of unsweetened chocolate almond breeze
-1/2 cup Quaker oats
-1/4 of a mashed banana ( my hubby put the rest in his morning smoothie!)
-cinnamon
-small handful of pumpkin granola



Instead of heading into the office today, I got to go to school! Our bargaining unit at work (also know as Office, Clerical, Technical or OCT) had a PD day as well! The idea is that we choose from a decent size list of different course we want to attend through out the day. There was anything from finances, wills, de-stressing, computer program upgrades, etc. The 4 I choose were "a naturopathic perspective", "digital memory celebration", "bugs; the good, the bad & the ugly" and "water; drop by drop".

The day started off with an introduction and a plethora of store bought muffins. I was able to easily avoid this because I was still full from my breakfast and, truly, store bought muffins are just icky to me! Off we went to session #1. I was pretty disappointed with this speaker, a naturopathic doctor. He talked a lot without saying anything at all. I think he was more interested in getting our business than anything else. As my mind started to wander, I realized that he was a dead ringer for Skreech from Saved By The Bell. (I hope I'm not aging myself too much with that statement!) Session #2, although not at all what I expected, was quite good. It was all about how to create a digital scrapbook. I had thought the course was on how to take good digital pictures. The presenter was clear and concise and I left with the feeling that I could easily create a book. I wasn't about to purchase the software, though! Next up...lunch. And it was a GREAT lunch that was catered in by a local deli. First up was a chicken soup.



I left the potato in the bowl as I'm not a potato fan. When that was done, I had this plate of goodies..



That brownie you see there was very good. What you don't see is the 4, yes 4, other treats that I ate. Thank God lunch was over at this point or who knows how many other I would've consumed! Once I get that sweet taste in my mouth, all reason flies out the window!!!

Session # 3 & 4 were of the environmental type. "Bugs" was all about the different species and which are good to have around, and which are the true pests. Minimally interesting to me, but the information was presented well none the less. "Water" was the best session by far because the speaker was extremely engaging and had a really good sense of humour. It was basically about our local water facility and where we get our drinking water from, how much we consume on average a day as a city and so on and so forth. Not the most exciting info, but like I said, the fella was super awesome at making it seem interesting! By 3:30pm we were cut loose and seeing as I was right around the corner from the mall, I grabbed a few more Christmas presents and a grande non fat latte with a shot of sugar free cinnamon dulce syrup. YUM-O!



They spelled my name wrong on the cup! Oh, well. :) With latte in hand, I hit the grocery store for some dinner. I bought some ready to go chicken and taters for the family and got myself some brown rice sushi. I also found a wicked looking trail mix with goji berries in it!



I ate all the sushi and a bit of the trail mix. All very good. Looking back on my eats for the day, I realize how unstructured it was for me! I usually pretty much know when I get up in the morning what I'll be eating throughout the day. It was kind of fun flying by the seat of my pants today! I don't know that I'd want to do it too often.....losing track of what I consume equals weight gain for me in the long run.

In a few minutes we'll be leaving to take in a hockey game. That's always a really fun time for our family! Tomorrow will be busy again so after the game, it'll be bedtime for me! I hope everyone is enjoying their Friday night!

Bye for now!!

6 comments:

  1. What a cool day! Lunch looks yummy ;) My day of eating was very unstructured as well! bleh! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get back on schedule! Hope the hockey game was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes....cool day and great eats!!! That brownie really looks killing!!!!!

    And goji berries trail mix....it's full of nutrient there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed the Hockey game. Sounds like an information filled day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem like you had such a good day! Love that sushi- I haven't had sushi in too long- your dinner reminded me of how I should get some soon, haha!
    Have a wonderful Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your eats! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw a trail mix similar to that but was afraid to try because i've ever had goji berries! what did you think? glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!