Monday, December 22, 2008

Tips and a Recipe

Getting out of bed this morning with everyone else still sleeping didn’t end up being as hard as I’d thought! Seeing as I just had myself to get ready, I was able to catch an extra half hour of zzz’s myself!! I woke up pretty darn hungry, too! There was a half of a banana in the fridge from my hubby’s after hockey smoothie last night, so I used it up!


- ¾ cup unsweetened chocolate almond breeze
-1/4 cup water
-1/2 Quaker oats
-1/2 a banana, mashed up


I just love the combination of chocolate and banana. Actually I love chocolate with almost anything!! **Please excuse the messy bowl! I didn't realize it looked like that until I downloaded the picture!

The office was pretty bare this morning which makes the atmosphere a lot more relaxing! The radio was a little louder and we were all dressed more casual than usual. Still lots of work to do, though!! Mid morning I had this cup of TAZO tea with a piece of my carrot cake baked oatmeal from last nights BSI entry. It’s even better today!!


The crew was home went I arrived for my lunch run so I had some company while sweating it up! I ran a nice, smooth 3.28 miles. The only bummer is it was one of those days where I just wanted to keep going, but I had to stop and go back to work. Oh, the unfairness of it all!! :)

I scrambled a bit this morning where my lunch was concerned. I could have sworn that I still had a Lean Cuisine Panini in the freezer, but could not find it! I ended up throwing together an Arnold Thin with almond butter and cinnamon plum tea jam. Here’s my tower of grown up PB & J!!

A little later in the day I tried my first Oikos yogurt.


I absolutely LOVED it! In all honesty, I couldn’t tell the difference between this and Fage. It was thick, creamy and tangy! I put it in my mug and topped it with black berries and pumpkin granola for my afternoon snackie! YUM-O!! :)


As promised in yesterday’s post, here are a few “did you know” tidbits courtesy of Family Circle magazine. I hope you enjoy them! I found them rather interesting!

-a non flowering green plant, like bamboo, can purify the air in a 10 x 10 room in 24hrs

-chapped lips? Smear a little Vaseline on a toothbrush, then use to exfoliate

-Store freshly baked cookies in a container with a few pieces of bread. The moisture in the bread is absorbed into the cookies helping them stay fresh longer

-Keep your shelves tidier by rolling towel, t-shirts, sweaters and sweat shirts instead of folding them.

-Use leftover twist ties to tame the tangle of TV, computer and cell phone wires.

And there you have it! I love reading about little time savers and such. A few of you mentioned in my comments Friday that you would like the recipe for the dessert my co-worker brought in. She graciously gave it to me!

Stained Glass Windows

1 pkg cherry jello
1 pkg lime jello
1 pkg orange jello

Make each pkg individually as follows: pour pkg of jello in 1 cup boiling water, stir until crystals are dissolved, add 1/4 cup of cold water and let set in fridge until firm - I use pie plates to set the jello - should be wiggly like jello jigglers

1 pkg lemon jello
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup cold water

Add sugar and pineapple juice together and bring to a boil. Once brought to a boil, turn off heat and add lemon jello. Dissolve all crystals and add 1/2 cup cold water. Let this completely cool - will become a little thick (like a creamy soup).

1 pint whipping cream

Whip whipping cream and fold in cooled lemon jello mixture. Fold until mixture turns yellow - should not have any pure white areas.

Cut the coloured jello into cubs and add to whipping cream mixture.

Crust

1 sleeve of graham wafers - crushed
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter

Mix together and spread at the bottom of baking dish - keep about 1/4 cup of crumbs for topping - pour whipped cream jello mixture on top of graham wafer crumbs and sprinkle with remaining crumbs - refrigerate overnight or minimum of 6-8 hours.

Here’s a “reminder” picture of the dessert! Hope everyone that makes it enjoys it!



I had to run a few errands after work so my hubby got dinner going. He made up some chicken with tomato sauce and melted cheese on top. I served my portion with some steamed edamame and butternut squash.

A very satisfying meal...especially since I didn't cook most of it! For my sweet end I ate my last 2 dark chocolate Ferraro Rochers.

I plan on making my cheesecake for Christmas Day tonight so it's ready to go when I need it. I also bought the ingredients for the caramel pecan sauce (oh, yeah!!), but I think I forgot the recipe at work so that might have to wait. Other than that, I think I'll watch a few Christmas shows with the kids. I got a couple magazine's in the mail this week so once the kids are dreaming of sugar plums, I think I'll just chill out with them until bedtime. Stay warm, if need be, where ever you are and enjoy the night!

Bye for now!!

15 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Whats going on? Work was really quiet for me today too. Kind of odd! Thank you so much for the stained glass recipe! It looks so yummy! I need to make your BSI treat. Have a wonderful night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those Ferrero taunt me again. *sigh* LOL Yet, again I drool over your breakfast. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and DO SOMETHING about it. I keep hearing good things about the Almond Breeze .. I might have to get me some.

    As always, lovely post. Thanks for just being YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't apologize for the "messy" bowl - it just proves that you enjoyed its contents!! :-)

    Hooray for a relaxing workplace atmosphere!!

    Oh my... an almond butter &cinnamon plum tea jam (!!!) sandwich?!??!?! YES, PLEASE!!!

    Love the stained glass treat too!!

    Have a lovely evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much amazing stuff in this post! Love it all, especially the baked carrot cake oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that dessert - its so colorful and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I really want to make those carrot cake oatmeal bars, but was hoping you could explain how they taste! Can you taste carrot? Or is a little sweet? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the messy bowl!

    and those oatmeal bars look to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the grown up pb and j tower!!
    i went to eat an oikos today and it had expired :(
    hope you have a wonderful night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips! I love Vaseline - it seriously gets rid of chapped lips with one application!

    Your PB&J tower looks so yummy! And thanks for that cool recipe - I love the name "Stained Glass Windows" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon...the carrot cake baked oats is sweet. You can't really taste the carrots, but they do add crunch! Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Stained Class jello creation is so unique. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The thing with the bread in the cookie container really works! It makes them really moist and the bread hard!

    Thanks for getting the recipe for the stained glass jello dessert! It's so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my - that grown up PBJ sounds great!! I checked my Panera and they don't have the jam :( I'll admire your's instead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your healthy food choices!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That pie look so pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!