Sunday, December 21, 2008

BSI: Carrots!

Hello all! Hope you've all had a good weekend so far! I was wide awake at 6am this morning. I haven't the foggiest idea why, but there was no way I was getting out of my warm bed at that hour so I just stayed put and relaxed until 7:15. While relaxing, I realized that for the first time in a long while, I didn't feel like oats! I know! Anyways, I decided on English muffin French toast with cranberry sauce, of course!

I mixed together about a 1/3 cup of egg beaters with lots of cinnamon and about 1 tsp of vanilla. I soaked an English muffin and the bum end of some WW bread in the mixture for a few minutes and then cooked them until they were nice and gold in colour.

Once on the plate I topped them with some heated cranberry sauce and a sprinkle of maple flakes. Oh, so good!

After breakie, we drove out to the farm for a quick visit as DS had a b-day party from 12-1:30 today. My MIL has been busy baking cookies and put some out for us to eat.

I had one chocolate chip and 2 of the peanut butter oat ones. Delish! These guys were quite busy trying on their "But I'm starving" faces in hopes of some sweets. I'm sure they weren't crazy about our decision not to share!


After dropping DS off at his party, we came back home for some lunch. I wasn't too hungry because of the cookies so I decided to break out one of the Kozy Shack porridge bowls that I bought at Wegman's. The stats on these are not too bad....3PTS if you follow Weight Watchers.

I was skeptical at first because at first glance it looked just like a bowl of goo. I heated it up in the microwave and gave it a try.

I must say, not bad!! It was the Maple & brown sugar one which I found a bit on the sweet side, but I haven't put sugar in my oats for eons so I guess that was to be expected. The consistency was pudding like with a little bit of chew.


Overall, I would have to say that I enjoyed this product. At 7oz a bowl, the serving was smaller than I am use to, but did a good job of filling me up today. I would by them again, but probably the plain kind instead of a sweetened one.

Shortly after we ate, we went to get DS from the party and went straight to his hockey game. DD and I dropped the boys off and hightailed it to the mall to grab a few last gift for my hubby. We made it back in time to see the last 25 minutes of the game. Thank goodness the mall is just around the corner from the rink!! I munched on an apple (no pic) while at the game. While it was good, it was a bit cool of a snack for an arena!

I started on my BSI recipe when we got home. There are SO many things you can do with carrots, but I knew that sweet was the way to go in my household! Here's what I came up with!

Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal

-1 cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze
-1/2 cup Egg Beaters (or 2 eggs)
-1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 ½ tsp baking powder
-1 Tbsp cinnamon
-2 cup oats
-1 tsp salt
-1 cup shredded carrots
-1/2 cup raisins

*preheat oven to 350*
*Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl
*Add all dry ingredients to the wet mixture
*Gently fold in first the carrots and then the raisins
*Pour into a greased 8 X 8 baking dish and bake for 40 minutes

Let cool completely before cutting into 12 squares.

This recipe was VERY easy to do....it came together before the oven was done preheating! Its fabulous as a snack or even a grab n'go breakfast. Drizzle a little white chocolate on top with a sprinkle of icing sugar and serve for dessert!' Or crumble it over ice cream....the possibilities are endless!

Here are the nutritional stats according to Spark People...

Nutrition Facts
12 Servings

Calories 113.6
Total Fat 1.5 g
Saturated Fat 0.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0.5 mg
Sodium 291.4 mg
Potassium 160.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 4.0 g


Thanks to Catherine @ Stevia and Spice for choosing the ingredient this week! If you haven't stopped by her blog, you should do so....once you're done reading here! :)

While my creation was baking up, I got started on a simple pork and rice dinner. I cooked up some fast fry pork chops then added 1.5 cups of water and half a cup of salsa to the pan. Once that was bubbling, I stirred in a 1/2 cup of brown rice, covered it up and let cook until the water was gone, about 20 minutes. The last step was to sprinkle about a 1/2 cup of grated jalapeƱo Havarti on top to melt. I also had some of my leftover soup from last night on the side.

And that's my day! Another busy, fun filled adventure! My hubby is on vacay for the next 2 weeks, but I have to work for the next 3 days. It'll be tough getting out of bed in the morning while he's still snuggled in! Ah, well...I'm sure I'll survive! Speaking of work, I brought some home with me that I need to get started on. I know, it sucks, but I'll be glad to have it out of the way tomorrow so that I can leave work on time (I hope!). Tune in for tomorrow's post. I found some neat around the house tips that I'll be sharing with you!

Bye for now!!

13 comments:

  1. Your breakfasts and sweets always make me drool. Oh yum! The puppies were just begging to get something! How can you resist? I never have willpower to the puppy dog eyes (of the four legged or two legged kind)!

    The BSI entry looks delish. I'm thinking that will be my treat for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. English Muffin French Toast + cookies+ BSI baked oatmeal = HOLY FREAKING YUM, KRISTA!!!!!! You need to publish a cookbook already :-)

    Happy Sunday evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. carrot cake baked oatmeal? yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your BSI entry looks great! I love baked oats!! Cute pugs too! I love wrinkly dogs! Hope you head a great weekend and are all ready for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum yum! All your eats are delicious!!! English muffin toast, cookies and the amazing carrot cake baked oatmeal.....mmmmmm.....delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that BSI entry sounds great!!

    PUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never thought to make English muffin French toast...I love it!

    Thanks for the product review - and that BSI recipe is great! It takes baked oatmeal to an entirely new (and delicious) level :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing bsi creation!! i love all things carrot cake so i think i would be a fan :D
    hope you have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT BSI!!! I totally want to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW - Your eats look amazing. The English muffin french toast is genius!! You must be Canadian :) hehe good job Krista

    zesty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm great BSI! I haven't made baked oatmeal in quite a while. Yours sounds great so I think I just might have to give it a try! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! he carrot cake baked oatmeal looks wonderful!

    I've seen that Ready Grains product before and was curious. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHAAAT!?!? I just saw this...I'm definitely making this the day I get home! Or maybe next week...genius!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!