Friday, December 19, 2008

Good Old Canadian Weather!

Well, I woke up to the blizzard they were forecasting! Luckily, it had pretty much just started so the ride to work wasn’t a chore. (Keep reading for storm updates!!) I had a nice, simple bowl of oats this morning….


-1 cup water
-1/2 cup Old Wessex 5 Grain cereal
-cinnamon
-1/4 cup cranberry sauce


Yummy in my tummy!

DD was sick again last night. I don’t know what’s up with her and I’m getting a little frustrated (and worried) about the situation. I’m going to set up another doctor’s appointment and insist that she go for allergy testing. I have a very strong suspicion that she has some sort of dairy allergy. My kids aren’t milk drinkers….they much prefer a glass of water, but they do have milk with cereal. DD normally eats PB and toast for breakfast and may have a small bowl of cereal as a bedtime snack, but the past week she has had much more cereal which equals much more milk. Same scenario back when she was sick at the end of November and there was another instance back in late April where she was into the Carnation instant breakfasts and got sick a few days later. I feel so badly for her and really want to get to the bottom of it! She’s becoming quite disillusioned with herself and her “body” because she feels like she is always the sick one when her friends are healthy. It breaks my heart to hear her crying and saying that her body is stupid. :( I think I might take her for a manicure this weekend to boost her spirits! Thanks for sticking it out through that paragraph! PHEW…I just had to get it off my chest.

As I mentioned roads were OK going to work this morning. Buuuuuut, I had to make a trip down to the kid’s school over the noon hour and what a change! There were drifts up to my knees and the plows were out but just could not keep up. Visibility was pretty much nil. Now, I am just fine driving in this weather….I am Canadian, after all….but there were some people out there that should’ve just stayed home. YUCK! Here’s a view from my window at work. This was about 1pm.


Lunch was a big ole plate of leftovers. SURPRISE!! :~)


Thankfully a lot of office staff left by noon so I didn’t offend anyone with my garlic breath! And, as a treat, a lady I work with brought this in for dessert!


It was so light and fluffy! It didn’t even feel like I was eating anything! I’ll have to get the recipe from her and try it out myself!!

My hubby left work at 1pm and went to get the kids from school so I didn’t have to worry about them walking home in this crap. They were pretty jazzed up to see him! Coming home early was also a plus for DD. Even though she slept well, her body must be wiped out. When I called them from work, she was chilling on the computer updating her Webkins site. :)

When I got home I baked up a short bread cookie recipe from a little Gaylea pamphlet that I got in the mail. The recipe (which I can’t find online) says to roll the dough out and cut shapes with cookie cutters. Well, this dough was NOT about to roll for me so I improvised and used my melon baller to make little round cookies with a dark chocolate chips on top. I present you with the finished product!


It was suppose to make 24 cookies, but I got 40 doing it this way! BONUS!!

My sister in law, niece & nephew were suppose to travel down tonight for dinner out and a sleep over...they live 2 hrs north of us, but had to cancel due to the weather. Sooooo, dinner ended up being a fend for yourself type thing because us going out was out of the question, too! I made my new favorite! An Arnold Thin, whipped cottage cheese, sabra hummus, deli turkey slice and shredded carrot. I toasted it up in the oven and served it with a side of sauteed purple kale.



My sweet end was a few too many of the shortbread cookies! Making them smaller sure made it easier to just pop them in your mouth! Seeing as we're snowed in, the plan for the night is to play some family Wii sport and do some magazine reading. But first, i'll leave you with one more crappy weather picture. I took this on my way home from work. Over to the left is a red brick house. Right before that is my street which you can't see for the snow!


Hope everyone has a great Friday night....sun or snow!

Bye for now!!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! that is a lot of snow! The weather seems to be out of control! I hope DD feels better and that you guys figure out whats wrong- I'm sure that is SO frustrating as a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! gorgeous snow...I'm so sorry about your little one :(! What a bummer, and i think the manicure idea is so totally perfect :D I'm gonna do my Wii later too! Have you done the rhythym boxing yet on the Wii fit?? haha it is SO funn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo much snow here too!! It's insane.

    Hope DD is 100% better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, poor thing, I hope DD feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes can you believe this snow!!! Now I get to go out west tomorrow where it is a balmy -25 C! lol, the fun never stops around here.

    You gave me a serious craving for 1) stir fry and 2) oatmeal...yum.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay safe in the snow and I really hope your daughter feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys look like you are going to get pounded with snow, all up to Christmas - they were just showing the national weather on the news. Hopefully it doesn't hamper your holiday plans.

    And those shortbread cookies look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a Southern girl with NO SNOW, I'm amazed by your pictures!! I wouldn't know what to do with all of that snow. I hope it doesn't case any drama for your holiday.

    I am so sorry about your daughter! I have been dealing with newfound allergies and it really can be so frustrating until you figure it out. I really hope some testing can clear it all up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe, those cookies look like eyeballs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old wessex!! I want it! (I went to WF again today and they are still running out of it )

    Hope DD gets better soon.

    Cute cookie!!!

    And biiiiiiiig now!!!!!!!! Drive safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that dessert looks so delicious! i need to get some cranberries so i can have them w/ my oats - i miss em!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw I am so sorry to hear about DD. I hope if she gets to the doctor he/she can figure out what is wrong. A manicure will boost her spirits.

    Your cookies look v. good!

    Does it make you laugh to know things here (in Rhode Island) would be shut down with that amount of snow?

    ReplyDelete
  13. dannnngg...that's a lot of snow!!!

    and i hope your DD feels better soon and you guys figure out whats wrong...i totally bet a manicure would help cheer her up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gotta love this crazy weather eh? I know I do... cough. I definitely love my winter tires though. I wouldn't even bother ever leaving the house if I didn't have them.

    That dessert thing looks crazy delish! Please do try it out. And show us the results ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!