Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Recipe Flop & Dinner Out!

I regret to have to tell you that my BSI recipe last night was a flop….actually, more of a disaster! I am not one to waste food….it hurts my heart, but this mess landed in the trash. :( I still think the idea was good, but I added WAY too much peppermint extract! Just sniffing it was enough to clear the most clogged of sinuses. Seriously! Never fear, though, for I have a back up plan! I will be trying the new recipe tomorrow night!

Here’s my bowl du jour! Oh…side note-I met DD’s French teacher Monday night at the concert (the kids start French in grade 4 at our board) and she told me that DD is a whiz with learning the language. Apparently, she just soaks it right up! The teacher says DD will surely become bilingual. Very proud Mommy moment. The kids both go to Italian school in the summer, too! OKAY…my oats! Here ya go!


-2/3 cup water
-1/3 unsweetened chocolate almond breeze
-1/3 cup Flax Seed Porridge
-1/2 mashed banana
-2 Tbsp trail mix


This bowl really hit the spot. I woke up with an unsure tummy and was almost afraid to eat, but I was hungry so I gave it a go. I love this trail mix with the Gogi Berries in it!

I sipped on this hot chocolate last night while watching the Biggest Loser.


I also ate a Ryvita cracker with almond butter, but the camera must have thought it was good too because it seems to have eaten the picture!!!

If you haven’t already, check out Zesty’s blog for a GREAT, generous give away! He hit 100 posts today! You won’t be disappointed, I promise!!

I was excited for Wii Wednesday once lunch time rolled around! I completed all the strength moves again today. I wonder if I’ll be stiff again tomorrow? I haven’t had a chance to use the Jillian Michaels boot camp since last week and really want to try it out again before I have to return it on Sunday! The rest of the week is looking quite packed, but I hope to squish it in!

Making lunch was a challenge today because my fridge is looking scarily empty! I ended up with a flatout wrap, a good spoonful of Sabra hummus and a whole whack of mache mix.


It sure won’t win any prizes for appearance! Isn't that sad looking?? And to be honest, it didn’t fill me up, which is what I thought. I decided to make a mocha which helped.


Dinner was a treat tonight! I met “the girls” for our Christmas dinner at Moxie’s! The 4 us of try to get together for dinner every few months to catch up on life. We all used to work together years ago. It’s always so fun to see them! I started off with a small bowl of chicken & orzo soup....



It was really good! I could really taste the cumin in it and it reminded me of Indian food! Next up was a salad with feta & cranberries. I used about 3/4 of the dressing. This was really good, too!



Two of the girls had a side of butternut squash risotto. We all tried some and agreed that it was a little too salty. :(



Dessert was these yummy chocolates that one of the girls gave us. I ate 2 of them....one had an orange centre and I don't care for orange & chocolate mixed together.



Afterwards, I popped into the grocery store to pick up some essentials that can not wait until grocery day Friday!
While there, I found these few items that I just HAD to try!



Vitasoy holly nog, Vitasoy peppermint chocolate and Dr. Praeger's sweet potato pancakes. You'll be seeing these guys over the next few days!

Well, it's getting late so I'd better get a move on!

Bye for now!!

14 comments:

  1. yikes with the peppermint! I was afraid of that happening with the ginger last week, it's so strong! I have the Silk brand of Nog, and it's DELISH, i put it in my cereal this morning instead of milk and it was a great switch! Maybe i'll try it in oatmeal tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh too bad about the extract :-( Ah well, better luck next time.

    Have a lovely evening, Krista!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Krista, just wondering where you got those holiday soy products? I've been on the lookout for them (loblaws, A&P...), but can't find them anywhere!

    Thanks! Have a great night!!
    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry about the BSI recipe, it's hard to know what's the perfect amount for extracts. I can only deal with vanilla because you can never overdo it.

    Your oatmeal looks delicious and thanks for posting your water portion as well. I think that's the perfect portion to get a chewy oatmeal.

    And french..... such a beautiful language, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw too bad about the recipe!!

    As a foreign language teacher, I LOVE hearing about kids loving a new language!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun dinner with the girlies! We are also getting lowwwwwwwwwwww on groceries! I'm def stretching out the little that we do have!! I usually do groceries on Friday too but I have to wait until Saturday because we have an appointment Friday afternoon- YIKES!! Sorry the BSI recipe flopped :( I have no idea what to make yet....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about the BSI flop - I hate throwing away food as well.

    I saw those Dr Prager's Sweet Potato pancakes at a store here the other day, you'll have to let us know how they are!

    I'm also with you on the dislike of orange & chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should definitely be a proud mommy! I love Holly nog, but have not yet tried the chocolate peppermint!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried those sweet potato cakes last year, they are SOOOOO GOOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the fish bowl!

    horray for those finds at the market! i need to hunt that peppermint one down!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. good luck with the new recipe! i don't have any extract so i have had no experience on that front!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr. P's! Love them :) Also, that is one seriously cute oatmeal bowl!

    Sorry to hear about the peppermint :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kay...I found the Vitasoy holiday drinks at Metro (formerly Ultra Food & Drug)...good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely let us know about the Dr. Prager's Sweet Potato pancakes!

    I am sure DD is a smarty! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!! Please leave a comment!